Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fiance' came home to find our precious lttle girl in the midst of destruction and wasteland.

Our / my 15 week old OEB was left alone unfortunately for 8.5 hours. We tried to isolate her in the kitchen. Well needless to say there was (as to be expected a few piles(mounds)) But our beloved little girl pulled up the linoleum floor and chewed through a cabinet base. Also shredded the news paper on which she pooed.

Fiance' wasn't happy but again shes a pup. What can we try/do/pray for?

I am thinking a new floor with some bitter apple for fragrance and same with cabinet base.

Only Idea is a crate but that is still kinda long for a 4th month old, she is pratically house broken with the crate for 4 hours and then a nice walk outside. I thought about having someone walk her but no one can i work 40 miles form home and fiance' has about the same commute time wise that I do.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
At 4 months, Haus was crated for that long. If you're uncomfortable with it, then get a dog walker to let her out in the middle of the day. A pup that young, should not be 'isolated' in a room, as you can see, they will still tear things up. I know, Haus showed us his wrath after being left out for 9 hours:

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
in my eyes your ONLY option is a crate!! They are WONDERFUL training tools, and the dogs really do like them. If you can't come home every 4 hrs they see if you can get a neighbor or someone to come over and take her for a quick walk.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I had to post to this because I think we have all had a few things destroyed in our lives. . . I posted the story about how this happened under general. . . and we now crate Brodie when we are not home :D He just isnt to be trusted alone, he gets bored and thinks of things to keep himself entertained

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Mine have all three been crate trained. Even our pup, we've had since birth, was crate trained and did fine, even for 8 hours. They MAY urinate and crap in the crate, but giving daily baths and cleaning the crate is better than the alternative.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wish I lived closer I would come and do doggy day care!!!
shes a toughie huh!!! oyyyy
Is she a Olde ? I have one here...hes pretty good very laid back
our AB however shes another story... :roll:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes she is an Olde - CKC reg., she is a handful for my fiance' - but for me she is like i said almost house broken, no accidents no horror stories. Bu t I also do thnigs a little different I rather crate then paper it worked for my pit and I stay out with her until she goes both or one. With my better half she cries and she feels bad for her and shortens the walk a little, Guess DADDY is da big dog.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
crate crate crate

as horrible as it seems to us, the crate is the best issue. my EB always had surprises for me when i got home, chewed up cushions, chewed up motorcyle seat, etc.

sometimes i don't crate and i'm always sorry i didn't.

·
Registered
412 Posts
And, we have our crate in the family room. . . when we are all in the room watching tv, Brodie will just go in there to sleep, so I know he doesnt hate it, he loves it. He curls up there all the time. (We leave the door open when we are all home)

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Zippitydodaa said:
And, we have our crate in the family room. . . when we are all in the room watching tv, Brodie will just go in there to sleep, so I know he doesnt hate it, he loves it. He curls up there all the time. (We leave the door open when we are all home)
Haus does the same thing.

Medic,
You have to remember, it's not a 'crate' to them. It's more like a den. A place where they feel safe, and it's their home. I would suggest getting one, at least for the time being, until the pup is completely potty trained and out of the teething and destruction phase.(Haus is 11 months, he's done teething, but not destroying.)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Chassis is still destroying at 1 also. Now she has a partner in crime so I can only see it getting worse. A crate is the only way to go.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Crate is gooood.

Before I got her I bought a crate for a dog of 70 - 80 lbs witha divider. I set it up before she came home. I used it for her bed, I think I ran into problems trying to paper train (which i have never done with any of my dogs) and Crating. I just feel becuase this is a female and a pup. My APBT was about the same age when I got him but I was single and worked screwy hours so it worked. He was a 128lb lap dog that was house broken and wouldnt eat small children and old people.

My Libby a 3 yr English Bulldog (the short fat stocky one) was house broken when I got her. She was no problem, she actually had the run off the house except for the babies room

Now My little girl here Jezabel (OEB)(any one tell me the difference between OEB and EB?)(I know should be another post) is a handful I don't know if it is because I think she is fragile or that I am trying to many different things.

As soon as I figure out how to post pic's I will post the minor devastation compared to what you all showed me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The OEB are supposed to be more athletic with less breathing problems and health problems...I have one, and basically with all the research and reading I have done that theres more of a mastiff crossed in for the bigger bones and size and breathing...if this makes any sense...
Did you get her from a breeder have you called them to ask them what they recommend?
Heres a board that has OEB its all OEB hope it helps you out maybe
http://members.boardhost.com/badbulls2/

http://members.boardhost.com/Regency/

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a small room attached to my house leading to my laundry room. It used to have a linoleum floor until my two pulled at it until they could eat it. It used to have a storage room, until the two ate the bottom half of the door. It used to have a door separating it from the laundry room, they ate that, too. It used to have a small window airconditioner, they ate the front off of it. It used to also have a deep freezer, until they ate the control panel cover. It's quite obvious my dogs don't have any food allergies.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Boss has not been crate trained, I tried it for a little while, but when I'd let him out, he'd become very hyper and a little aggressive. What I'd suggest if you don't want to crate her, make sure she has things to do when she's left alone. For example, Boss always has a couple chew toys out for him, plus, I have these kongs that are meant for stuffing. I prepare two kongs for him with kibble and treats inside and kong stuffing in between the crakcs of the kong. It keeps him occupied for a few hours, then, after that he always has toys he can chew. If you give the dog something to do while you're gone, there is less of a chance they will become destructive. :D Again, good luck!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
CRATE............You will find that they will go in there on there own after getting use it.Buster gets put in his crate when we are not home or can not keep an eye on him.When he is out we leave the crate door open and he will go in there to sleep.They find it as a place of there own,a place were the can get away from everyone.I have two blankets and his bed in there along with a toy.Havent had one problem with it.I also used the crate for Molly my 7 year old dal and she no longer needs it since she out grew the puppy faze.You will find it will save you lots of $$$$ in repairs :wink:
It takes them a little while to get use to and they will cry but wait 15 minutes go back in the room so that you can be seen then step back out for another 15 minutes.With doing this you are reassuring your dog that all is fine.In time there will be no crying or whining while in there.Buster only cried for three days and that was it.Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ok but, he said he does not want to crate her. Crating is not by any means the only option. I would never crate Boss because him being confined to one tiny space for like 8 hours is too long for him. He is a very active puppy. He has never destroyed anything (unless you count some paper and a book or two) because I make sure he has something to do when I'm gone. You'll find that boredom is the reason dogs become destructive, and sometimes because they have seperation anxiety.

If you don't want to crate her, trust me, you do not have to. I have never crated ANY of the dogs I've owned. They were always permitted to wander about the house because they were well trained and were given something to do. Granted, one of the dogs we had, did destroy a door once, but, that was our fault. He was bored out of his mind. Also, I would recommend keeping her in one room while you're gone still. Just until she is completely house broken. :D

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I am not saying they should or shouldn't crate but simply letting them know what I do and my experience. Myself I agree 8 hours is long in a crate but I also think 8 hours is to long for a pup to be left alone whether it is in a crate or a room.Why get a pup if you are going to be gone for 8 or more hours.How is that fair to the dog.It's not.Just M/O

·
Registered
451 Posts
Well, it's not fair that people have to work for a living and HAVE to be gone for 8-9 hrs a day. Yeah, it's a long time, but that really can't be helped, unless you live with your parents or are somehow independently wealthy. So, people with jobs shouldn't have a puppy?

The only reason I'm repeating that he does not want to crate the dog, is because that's what everyone keeps suggesting. He is aware that he CAN crate her, but it is important that he knows he doesn't HAVE to and that there are other options.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Tara<3Boss said:
Well, it's not fair that people have to work for a living and HAVE to be gone for 8-9 hrs a day. Yeah, it's a long time, but that really can't be helped, unless you live with your parents or are somehow independently wealthy. So, people with jobs shouldn't have a puppy?

The only reason I'm repeating that he does not want to crate the dog, is because that's what everyone keeps suggesting. He is aware that he CAN crate her, but it is important that he knows he doesn't HAVE to and that there are other options.
So, people with jobs shouldn't have a puppy?
Again this is just M/O
I do feel it is unfair for the pup to be home all day stuck to one room or a crate for long periods of time.I feel that people should wait to get a pup till they have the TIME to train and spend with it.For people that work all day they should look into an older dog, one that doesn't need constant attention like a puppy.If I worked all day there is no way I would of gotten a puppy.I just feel it is unfair to the pup.
You are right about him NOT having to crate that there are other options and one that may be better for him.Hell, as long as he finds one that works and keeps the pup from chewing the home apart GREAT!!!!! :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts