Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday night, Dixie and the pups went potty about 2am after the races. There must have been a wild animal out in the yard(opossum usually) because Dixie knows these things and goes running out the door to chase whatever it is away. Well, this night she bolted like I have never seen her bolt before, then she was gone. So we ar looking in the dark with flashlights everywhere. She ends up being in the neighbors yard on the other side of our 6 foot privacy fence, wanting back over. Hubby has to break off some slats to get her back in our yard.

Thinking there was a hole dug or something we just couldnt see in the dark, we waited till morning to look further.

The next morning, I let her out and I gt out first. I hear a chirping sound, it was that same squirrel that torments Dixie. He bothers her so much that she had stopped even looking at it anymore. It follows her around and screams at her, throws then dang avacados at her and sticks and acorns at the pups when they are out.

She saw this squirrel chirping at her and flicking his tail, she went nuts! She ran out there so fast, and beofre I could say ANYTHING to her, she jumped for the squirrel and CLEARED our 6 foot fence, landing in the neighbors yard.

It looked like something outta the Superman movie. She needed a freakin cape for that flight!

I know she can jump, dogs can jump, but man, it was unreal.

So now, another problem. Like she knows now she can do it, I have got to make sure she knows it is not alright! AHHHHHHHH!What a pain!

She runs to that very corner every outing now, but hasnt jumped again. I hope she doesnt.

I cant wait to mave, there will be enough acreage to keep them all happy!!!

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
There are a couple of things you could try. You could put an electric fence wire around the top of the fence (if she touches the top as she goes over), or someone here once mentioned putting an extension at the top of the fence that bends inward at a 45 degree angle.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
We use hotwire inside our fences, and it works like a charm. We put one line at the bottom about "nose height" and one line at the top. Our dogs respect it like nothing else.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a plan!!
I have always been leary of anything electric with my dogs, however this a better alternative to pissing a neighbor off royally!

My uncle had a Golden, and bought the invisible fence and collar. That stupid dog would torture himself continuously trying to run through that fence. I remember watching him bounce off of it all the time, yelp, bounce again, yelp.

Funny, but not funny!!!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I never thought I'd be an advocate of an electric fence but in some cases, it is really necessary to keep the dog safe. We had the kind where a dog wears a collar, in your case it might work, in ours, it wouldn't because we have more than one dog, and often we have fosters. So we use the electric fencing type, it's not a wire per se but a nylon "tape" with the wires embedded in it. It was quite cost effective really.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
A friend of mine has trouble with her dog excaping, she installed a fence on top that was a 45 degree angle
like the kind at the zoo. LOL. She also had to cut down all the trees because the dog would climb to middle
and jump off into the neighbor's yard. One day they were having a party and out of nowhere this pit bull
lands in the middle of their swimming pool *SPLASH*.

:D

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
PitBullRoyalty said:
A friend of mine has trouble with her dog excaping, she installed a fence on top that was a 45 degree angle
like the kind at the zoo. LOL. She also had to cut down all the trees because the dog would climb to middle
and jump off into the neighbor's yard. One day they were having a party and out of nowhere this pit bull
lands in the middle of their swimming pool *SPLASH*.

LMAO That's great! :lol:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
diesel4444 said:
hahaha. I wonder how fast it took that pool to clear. :lol:
She says all she heard was a large splash and "WHAT THE CRAP!?"

It would've been funnier if the dog had a shark fin strapped on his back
*hears jaws music*

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah you will probably have to put up something to stop it from doing it from now on. I know if i could jump a 6 foot fence and land in my neighbors pool and they thought it was cute i would do it every day i got home from work. hehe. I dont know about you guys but here in Memphis it is HOT!!!!!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
She also said the dog would sit up in the tree like an owl and scan the neighborhood.
I have seen that dog climb jump onto the balcony and make his way onto the roof.
Crazy dog.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts