Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , so Buster and Molly have been seperated for two days because of Bully satying with us.
Bully left this morning and I let my two out and they were as happy as can be at first well
I left Busters crate open and forgot he had food left in there and Molly went over to it and Buster got on top
of her and they started going at it.I freaked out and ran to grab the bitter apple apray and when I got back they had stopped ont here own.Well I had went out and came home and let Buster out of his crate and was givignm them water
and all of a sudden Buster turned and Got latched on to Mollys neck and was on top of her just biting at her and she was conered and doing nothing I jumped up ont he conter to get out of the way to avoid being biten and grabed the hopse to the sink ( you know the spray nozzle ) and just sprayed the them down till the stopped.I am really freaked out by all of this and dont know what to do.Why is this happing? What is causing this behavior from Buster? Molly will be 8 in December and doesnt mess with Buster, she is old and crabby and just doesnt want to be bothered.Buster will be 9 months October 3rd.I am at a loss here.What if I had stepped out of the room and my kids were int he middle of this? I am so upset and heartbroken and pretty much a bawling mess.I CANT have an aggressive dog in my house, I have kids and as much as I love my dogs I wont take that chance.What am I to do???? Someone please help.................

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Maybe Buster is put off by Bully's smell in the house??

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
It couldd be because Bully's smell is no longer in the house like Kasco said. But do you think he's now trying to be alpha of the 2? Or do you think its b/c of the seperation for two days? My GSD does not like other dogs and when she comes back from my grandparents she sometimes fights with my APBT. And she also use to do that when I would bring him home after playing with other dogs.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Also, he could have some pent up frustration after being out of his "norm" for a few days. Give him some time to settle back in, hopefully he'll be fine.

·
Super Moderator
15,983 Posts
I agree with Bully's scent still clinging to things plus having another dog in the
house disrupted their harmony and now it may take a few days for things to
get back to normal. Plus it may not have dawned on either one of them to do
the alpha thing until Bully did it. Monkey see - Monkey do.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Buster is a bulldog. Accept the traits that come along with that or get a mild mannered breed like a Labrador, poodle, etc.

If you are concerned about your children, crate and rotate like so many others here do. A dog aggressive dog that is stable should not be a danger to your children.

Why are so many people here so hell bent on bringing AB's into their home then when they dont' get alng with their other pets want to get rid of them? I don't get it.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are we having a bad day Lisa.I wasnt asking for a snot nose remark.

Things are better.And yes if it comes down to it it I will crate and rotate.

Thanks everyone for your advice :D

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I am not having a bad day at all. Sunny out, have the day off work, nothing could be better.

However, how many times on this forum does the issue of dog aggression with bullies need to be addressed? The topic has been beaten to death. Dog agression comes part and parcel with owning the breed, yet it seems many people will not accept that. It should never come as a surprise to a bully owner to have their bulldog get into a scuffle with another. In fact it should be expected.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Lisa said:
Buster is a bulldog. Accept the traits that come along with that or get a mild mannered breed like a Labrador, poodle, etc.

Poodle mild mannered, are you crazy! They are not mild mannered!!!!

mild mannered dogs, Newfinlands, beagles, and bassethounds are some.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Cookies Mom said:
Lisa said:

Poodle mild mannered, are you crazy! They are not mild mannered!!!!

mild mannered dogs, Newfinlands, beagles, and bassethounds are some.
Whatever, but I bet if I owned 2 poodles who got into a scrap, breaking them up would be a snap compared to 2 bulldogs.

I think my point was made either way....don't get a bulldog if you expect to have this big happy family of dogs in your home because chances are it won't happen.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Call me blind.I figured since Molly was a dalmation and Buster was brought in as a pup there wouldnt be any problems.
I think even knowing about this breed or any bully breed it will and did come as a shock because they had been fine.
All was fine them bam Buster was a different dog in a matter of seconds.I broke them up then yelled at Buster in a loud firm voice NO, BAd and put him outside to calm down and since that he has been fine.I am not saying I trust him fully or will ever trust him fully around Molly or other dogs as this has opened my eyes but I now see I HAVE to be firm with this dog and let him no what I will tolerate and what I wont.

Lisa,
Buster has been doing well on out walks and listioning to me.I now have him sitting at every corner before we stop and he doesnt pull and it has become very enjoyable to walk him now.I am going to in role him with a trainer for not BO but a step up from that since he knows BO.This woman is well known and was even rated Best trainer on the east coast.I spoke with her and she has experience with Bully breeds and it sounds really good so well see what happens next.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
buster is now 9 months old, in human terms that is like a 16/18 year old boy. he has reached an age were he is "testing" his authority. pushing limits to see just what he can get away with and who (or is that whom?) in the household will be the "alpha" animal. molly is old and probably will allow him to win out (unless of course she is a rather dominant female) and the chances that they will work things out on their own are pretty good. unfortunately, most people don't like the idea of the dogs working it out on their own, you know all the blood and what not , seems to upset some :) .small squirmishes are to be expected as a pup comes of age tho. having your dogs complete respect will help over come the problem. i have had two male ab's and now a male and a female without ever having a dominance issue. my dogs understand completely who is in charge here and exaclty how much , or little, crap i will put up with and if i have to raise my voice to put an end to something they know it will not be fun for anyone

1 - 12 of 12 Posts