Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so a weird thing happened tonight (well weird to me since this is all new). My kids were flying high on all kinds of sugar and crap - we had our annual fun fair at church today - so naturally they were pistol's at bedtime. So my middle kid (aka - trouble) starts a psychotic meltdown at which my husband returns the favor (I know - we're crappy parents) and starts yelling at her, well Sam had a very interesting reaction - one which made me glad she was still leashed - she became very aggitated by all the screaming (done by now psycho middle kid) and when my husband disciplined her she began barking and pulling at her collar - I have no idea what this dog would have done if she had not been leashed or who she would have done it to. I had to take her outside away from it before she'd calm down - is this 'normal' yet something that needs to worked on - or is this a sign of trouble? I didn't panic (only cause she was on a leash) but it left me a little un-nerved and DH just plain pissed off. Any thoughts?

Sarah

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
She probably just got upset from all the yelling. My dogs hate when me and my hubby yell at each other. Sam may have also been excited by all the commotion, and thought everyone was just playing.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not pick up any 'aggression' per se so that might be an accurate guesstamation - question is - what would u do to make sure it doesn't get out of hand - just be firm in telling her no? My poor DH was already so overwhelmed w/ the kids that to have the dog now joining in the ruckous only made him want to send her packing - poor guy - he says "I have to keep them (referring of course the the children) but YOU can always find a new home!" He's really trying hard to love her and more importantly trust her but when she acts that way it pushes her back several squares in his mind. Thank you for answering - it means a lot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Our pets are part of the family and behave accordingly. One cannot expect a dog to give love when asked for and at the same time be emotionless when there is a comotion going on. Sometimes mum and I start arguing about what ever and our AB gets all in a tither. She will even bark if it's heated enough. I simply have to stop, lower my voice, and tell her everything is okay. We seem to have more discussion and less argument as a result.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Buster gets like this when we rough house with the kids or my hubby has "tickle " sessions with me.He gets very upset and starts jumping at my hubby and barking and just plan on going nuts but its all in good fun.If you dont want him acting like that then you need to correct your dog.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If hubby and I mucked around my first goldy would push herself between us facing hubby and give him some big woofs (like leave my mum alone). :D

Just one word of warning, if everyone is rolling around screaming and carrying on it may be a problem with a high prey drive animal.... not sure but maybe someone on here has the answer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
chiefs thoughts

last night me and my gf had words she was in her car and i was in mine and she was yelling and my window was rolled down and this frighten chief and he started to growl and bark but he knew who she was and his tail was still wagging ... but i told him no and he listen well so that was the end with that but i never wrestling or roughhouse with anyone so i dont know what his reaction would be, i will try that tonight, but my friend tells me she cant rough house with her husband cause the dog will get on him , the only thing that u could do to stop this is to discipline with the action of your dog has occured, but dont yell at the dog calm the dog down and comfort the dog and let them know its okay and your there for them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Our Nisha does something similar to that... When the house becomes very loud and there is a lot of yelling or loud stomping noises (if you have kids the stomping away is always there) she starts barking in her kennel and gets very rambunctious but I think it's because she is unsure what is going on but it sounds like trouble. If she is out walking through the house when this happens she tends to check it out, notices its just us then carries on back to the living room.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I use my hands palm flat & facing downlike two stop signs, and just say "easy" in a calm voice. I want her to understand she should look to me for direction.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks - I noticed yesterday while she was running around like the devil dog :lol: that when she turned and headed towards me if I held my hands out like that and said "off" she never even attempted. Thanks to everyone who has offered advice. 8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts