Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago, the dog I'm planning on adopting (Nicco) got into a terrible fight with his foster mom's resident female pittie over a rawhide. The female had gone into Nicco's crate to get it, and he fought for it. The foster mom's resident 7-year-old male joined in the fight and attacked Nicco. Both Nicco and the female were injured and required antibiotics for their wounds. My question is...now that Nicco has been in his first fight (that we know of), is he more likely to fight in the future? I have no problem keeping rawhides and toys put away, and I'm hoping this was an isolated incident regarding very a very specific trigger, but I'm still concerned. I'm prepared to crate and rotate the two dogs if I have to, but I'd really like Bella and Nicco to be able to co-exist. (I'm not expecting them to be best buds or anything.)

Nicco is about 12 months old, and the resident female is 3. Until that fight, they had gotten along perfectly.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
How do they get along now, do you know?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if she's re-introduced them. (She was considering just keeping them separate and not re-introducing them.) I emailed her yesterday, but I haven't heard back yet.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
In my limited experience, I feel that once they get into that first tussle, it's on! My dogs have never fought luckily, but Chopper was attacked while he was on-leash by a Husky. From then on, we've had aggression problems with him outside of the house. I would probably just be on guard 24/7 and be prepared to intervene if you have to.

·
Registered
380 Posts
In my own personal experience, Mine would first fight over raw hides or position, then it started with who's getting the most attention when someone comes over. My oldest female has established position over male and he will not fight her anymore, but I never let them unsupervised. IMHO they would continue the behavior and cannot be trusted.

·
Registered
46 Posts
yup, i would be very careful. when oreo first moved in, him and my rott fought. max (the rott.) started it. now oreo will try to get a piece of him every chance he gets. they fought 3 times since and we jumped in the middle of them each time. the first fight was max trying to be badass. all of the others were accidental.....someone didnt close backdoor all the way, didnt close the kennel properly, basically just not paying attention. last year we were out playing in the snow and the neighbors dog came over, oreo was not happy with another dog intruding on his territory and attacked.summer is a 'female' german shepard, it blew me away.
so all in all keep a sharp eye.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
My oldest, Sassy was in heat years ago. We also had a greyhound at that time. She was fixed. Sassy would constantly hump the greyhound, non stop. One day, the greyhound had had enough, and the fight was on! Blood, hair flying, a total mess. I grabbed the vaccuum and pried it brtween them to split them up. They were both scared, shaking and such, but for 7 more years, they lived together w/out a problem. Never a fight again. We have also acquired dogs since, and still never had a problem with her.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Once a fighter, always a fighter? My own experience

Bella_Blue
The reason why I subscribe to this website is mainly to learn more about my dogs. I have 4 dogs. I have 3 pitbulls and one Cocker Spaniel. My first dog was my cocker Spaniel name Paris she is now 3 years. In June of 2004 I decided to purchase my second female pit bull Diamond, one week later I also brought home her sister Hazel (Big mistake). Everything was perfect, the 2 female puppies were growing up together and were getting along just fine. We started giving them treats to chew on and that is when we discover are now worse nightmare. My females HATE each other. Hazel is very territorial and Diamond very playful and just get along with any dog. We experienced the first fight when they were about 7 months. I was watching TV with Hazel, Diamond came and sat next to me and the next thing I know there was blood everywhere. It was the worse thing I had experienced. The next day they were both playing with each other like nothing happend. Afew weeks later it happend twice.

At that point we decided to keep them apart and as of now it's a nightmare becasue they can't even see each other.

I forgot to mention that before the first fight we had purchase a male pitbull.. My female Hazel just attacked him yesterday because of attention. We are debasted and hurt becasue we understand that the best for the dogs and us is to give up Hazel. She is the sweetest dog and very loving but I just can't trust her.

I hope you didn't get tired of reading and I hope this can give you an idea of what you may experience. Someone told me first that the problem was that you should not have 2 females in the same house but at the same time she is doing the same thing with the male.
:)

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Re: Once a fighter, always a fighter? My own experience

pdhb4 said:
Bella_Blue
The reason why I subscribe to this website is mainly to learn more about my dogs. I have 4 dogs. I have 3 pitbulls and one Cocker Spaniel. My first dog was my cocker Spaniel name Paris she is now 3 years. In June of 2004 I decided to purchase my second female pit bull Diamond, one week later I also brought home her sister Hazel (Big mistake). Everything was perfect, the 2 female puppies were growing up together and were getting along just fine. We started giving them treats to chew on and that is when we discover are now worse nightmare. My females HATE each other. Hazel is very territorial and Diamond very playful and just get along with any dog. We experienced the first fight when they were about 7 months. I was watching TV with Hazel, Diamond came and sat next to me and the next thing I know there was blood everywhere. It was the worse thing I had experienced. The next day they were both playing with each other like nothing happend. Afew weeks later it happend twice.

At that point we decided to keep them apart and as of now it's a nightmare becasue they can't even see each other.

I forgot to mention that before the first fight we had purchase a male pitbull.. My female Hazel just attacked him yesterday because of attention. We are debasted and hurt becasue we understand that the best for the dogs and us is to give up Hazel. She is the sweetest dog and very loving but I just can't trust her.

I hope you didn't get tired of reading and I hope this can give you an idea of what you may experience. Someone told me first that the problem was that you should not have 2 females in the same house but at the same time she is doing the same thing with the male.
:)
Sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately some dogs just cannot, or willnot, coexist with any other dogs, be it male or female.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts