Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am losing my mind. I have barricaded the fence where the dogs were getting out.. I put their big heavy doghouse on front of it, so there was virtually no way to get around it. So now they found a NEW place to get out of the fence!! I still haven't figured out how. I sit right by the window and watch them. The second I'm not paying attention, they're gone and I have to run outside and catch them. Mind you, if they get caught running loose one more time, I will face jail time and a criminal record. But they can't stay indoors forever!

I thought it was all Heaven's doing, but the last couple times, it started with KOA! My "good one" has turned bad. Heaven will run right to me, she still follows all her commands very well. Koa runs the opposite way. I need to get them in more training classes, but that will come later. First things first.

I was going to get the electric fence, but I am trying to go over all other alternatives before I spend that much money. The person who installed my current fence says he can place a bar at the bottom of the fence so they can't push through it anymore. But I'm still afraid they might dig.

What do you think of THIS to place around the perimeter of my existing fence? It's wireless:

EDIT: URL REMOVED TO PREVENT FURTHER CONFUSION. PLEASE READ MY POSTS THAT FOLLOW!

Please help... I am about to cry. I don't want to blow all my savings on a new fence when I already spent THOUSANDS on the one that is there. There must be an easier, less expensive way to contain my dogs. They are tired of sitting inside staring out the window.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind... it only covers a diameter... I need my whole yard contained. :(

I could always buy a kennel until I fix the fence, but that defeats the purpose of letting them exercise outdoors. :(

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
Never mind... it only covers a diameter... I need my whole yard contained. :(

I could always buy a kennel until I fix the fence, but that defeats the purpose of letting them exercise outdoors. :(
You could run a hot wire around the bottom of your fence line so that they can't dig or squeeze through/under without bumping it. My girlfriend's mom was having problems with her dogs digging under the fence and escaping. After they bounced off the hot wire once or twice, they stopped. She hasn't turned it on for years and they still don't go anywhere near it. They're made for livestock, so you can cover multiple acres (the small ones do like 15 acres).

It's just an electrified wire that you can run along the base, about 2 or 3 inches off of the ground. So whenever they try to dig under it, they bump it and get zapped. You can buy everything you need at petsmart for about 100 bucks.

Something like this: http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...<>ast_id=2534374302036042&bmUID=1137885099441

With this wire: http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...<>ast_id=2534374302036042&bmUID=1137885219829

Affixed with these fasteners: http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...<>ast_id=2534374302036042&bmUID=1137885099586

There are lots of options you can go with to get the same effect, so check out the whole "fencing" section on the petsmart site. Not that you have to buy from them, but at least you can get ideas. Here it is: http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...T<>prd_id=845524441773269&bmUID=1137890233426

I would think you could get a handyman to install it for a nominal fee if you don't think you can do it yourself.

edit: I linked the wrong thing for the fence section. Fixed it. Also, check out the other types of fastener/insulators as there may be something better suited to your application.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright... maybe I will try to see if I can do this myself. I'll look into buying the materials this weekend.

Thanks for all those links! I wasn't even aware of that section.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sounds like you have some very smart and resourceful dogs!!!

I hate to state the obvious but I haven't seen it mentioned yet... by far the the easiest, cheapest, and most effective solution to your problem is to go outside and play with them, instead of leaving them out there unattended.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Have you considering training your dogs not to escape ? There must be a way. You could try distracting them when they go near the fence, use a small tin with a couple of coins in it, when they approach the fence shake it at them, but dont let them see it was you, say nothing then let them carry on & repeat when they return to the fence. Roxy sussed out it was me shaking the tin lol, but she doesn't chase the torch relection or hit the cat flap till it's laying on the floor beside her any more :)

Be probably best to train them seperately.

Maybe Lisa has some different advice, I know she has giving me great advice in the past :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
What I would suggest is taking you dogs for alot more walks and give them more exercise and some obdience training, then not let them out in the backyard unsupervised. Some dogs are just escape artist plain and simple and want to roam! Are your dogs fixed? How old are they? Another cheap way to fix your problem would be to get one of those screws thay you twist into your lawn and attach a leash to and stick it in the middle of your yard with a chain or cable just long enough to keep them from the fence.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I agree with Ambull04. Forget about the yard for exercise. Let them out to relieve themselves and keep an eye on them any time they are out there. For exercise, get a 30 foot long line and take them to a park or something like that and let them run. Do some obedience training...reward good behaviour by playing ball. My dogs use our backyard for one thing only. They get their exercise elsewhere.

PS BTW, Roxy, how is the car chasing going? Is she getting better yet?

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Lisa said:
PS BTW, Roxy, how is the car chasing going? Is she getting better yet?
Yup all cleared up! The same technique was used for Roxy just running off and not keeping an eye on me, but I was the tree lol

Check out Roxy's training diary, I'm trying to pass on what I have learned :) She is learning very fast, it's just me using wrong commands, need to stick to the same, like 'lay or down' cos I use 'down' for when I want her of the bed, but I found 'off' works well for the things she shouldn't be on ie: people lol

http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=1835

:oops: sorry for hyjacking the thread, back on topic, exercise them dogs more, the training lead is brilliant, gives you so much control and the training wears them out! Most important, find a reward your dogs really enjoy, be it a toy, treat or you playing with them. Training is about 95% praise/reward 5% command.

Good Luck

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Walking/exercising WITH them is out for now... I have way too many health problems to get outside in the middle of winter and exert myself. Maybe when the weather gets warmer, and I am not doing so poorly. I spent THOUSANDS of dollars to fence in my backyard so my dogs would have a place to roam and exercise. Tying them up is not an option --it's a temporary solution that I will try until my fence is repaired. If I tied them up, they would have to be tied separately so they don't get tangled together -- and that would be cruel to leave 2 puppies who love each other so much, to be unable to touch or play. Also, my yard has many trees. They would constantly be wrapped around them, and there are too many places they could hang themselves. AND Heaven used to be on a cable before my fence was installed. She escaped then too. They are masters at getting their collars off. I've tried every kind of collar out there, and I have yet to find one that they can keep on. (Which is why I don't try the invisible fence, they need collars in order for that to work.)

Plain and simple, unless I want to quit my job and live off welfare or find a sugar daddy :)lol:) so I can watch my dogs 24-7, there is no other better solution than to fool-proof the fence. I used to have a dog sitter to let them out while I was not home, but she was taking my money and NOT watching them. I THOUGHT she was very mature and responsible, but it turns out she would be out drinking with her friends. And when she WAS with them, she was mean to them. So I'm not too keen on hiring another sitter.

The point of this thread (see my original post) is how I can contain my dogs, not how can I find other ways to keep them entertained. I work 12-14 hours per night, and I require sleep sometime, so I cannot supervise them 24-7. Lately they have been stuck in a room in my basement while I am at work, then they can go outside for a little bit when I am home in the morning... then back to that room when I go to sleep... then back outside for a minutes before I go back to work... and REPEAT. It's unfair to expect them to never go outside and play -- they LOVE being outdoors (obviously).

I don't have other family members that can help, I live alone. Except for my child, but I don't hold my 9 yr old responsible for my dogs. Not everyone has all the spare time in the world to hover over their dogs. Unless you are suggesting I find them new homes, there is no other option except to contain them in my yard. This is what I had been doing all along, (before they figured out how to tear apart the fence) and it worked quite well. Training would work, but I'm pretty sure I have to be present for that, and consistent, to really be successful. And if another dog came along on the other side, do you really think my dogs would stop at the fence and think, "Mom says I can't go past this so I better not." LOL -- no... so I need to make sure they CANNOT get out ever again.

Ambull you asked how old they are... The female is one year, and the male is almost 7 mos. They are both altered. They want to roam simply because they found a way. Before that, they were running and jumping, and chasing each other all over the yard, having a grand ol' time. Now they see the world is a bigger place, so they stop at nothing to see it.

I've tried to think of other alternatives so I didn't have to break myself... but I guess the electric fence is the best solution. If I do it myself, it may be a lot cheaper. But the place at the fence where they are getting out is on concrete... how would I ever place those stakes in the ground to hold the wire?? I will probably HAVE TO hire someone else to do it. ](*,)

Thanks for the ideas, everyone.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The reason they want to see the world is because they never get to go for a walk, this is absolutely necessary! Even with an e collar on they might find a way out and just deal with the shock, bully breeds have a higher pain tolerance than other breeds. I have seen pitbulls run right through invisible fences and not even blink! Another thing you could do is put up a chain link fence that they cannot chew through and plant some thorn bushes around the areas that they are trying to get out!

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ambull, if you read my post again, that is exactly why I said I WON'T use an invisible fence. The electric fence I am referring to is what they use for livestock -- it will zap anyone that touches it, collar or not. And again, the fence is over concrete-- I cannot plant bushes. I wish it were that easy!!

I wanted to add that when the weather is nicer, I take my dogs for hikes on these trails around here... and that wears them out quite well. (Me too!) I'd really like to get them in more advanced training before we attempt that again. Last time Heaven almost dragged me down a hill full of rocks and trees!

The place that I am going to use is called Whited K-9 Services, they train police dogs... and anyone else's dogs too, if they pay the price. It's $40 per dog per day, and they suggest at least 2 weeks. I am still saving my money for this, and I do think it will be well worth it. It just takes time to save up that kind of cash, you know? As I've said, I live alone, there is no one else supporting me. Training will come as soon as possible, that's why I said "first things first" in my original post. When that time comes, I will be keeping you posted on how well they are doing with their obedience training.

Here's a link to the place where they will be going for training:
http://www.whitedk9services.com/

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
That training place sounds interesting! Will you be going to the training sessions, or do they do all of the training out of your sight?

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can do both. I think I would like to try the "board and train" option since my time is very limited.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Are they going to have to "train" you how to keep up with your dogs' commands and whatnot? I'd be worried that a board and train thing would teach my dog to obey the person who trained her rather than me. :p I think *I* need much more training than my dog does...haha.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yep I would have to say an electric fence would probably work for your situation, the first time they touched it trying to get out of the fence and got lit up like a christmas tree they would never do it again...roflmao!

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL, no, they have training sessions with the owners too. It's not just board and train the dogs only... I think he said they train them for 5 days, then they bring the owners in on the weekend to train them as well.

Hang on, let me see if I can find the e-mail he sent, I think he explained it much better than I can... brb.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, I was wrong -- it's $45/day. I'll cut and paste his e-mail:

Thank you for your interest in our quality training programs. Allow me to apologize for the tardiness of my reply.
We offer several training options. Our training classes are one-on-one, held at our facilities or your home. We work on "training" you, as we train your dog. We ask that you continue to work on what you have learned between classes. In this way, basic obed. is generally mastered in three to four sessions. The cost for training at our facility is $55/session. The cost at your home/location is $75/session.
We also offer an intensive in-kennel training program/"doggy boot camp" at our facility. We board your dog and do all of the training. At the completion of the course, we offer an intensive training program/review with you and your dog. The cost of this program is $45/daily. This charge includes a daily boarding fee of $15.
I look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Trina,

Not saying the trainer your looking at isn't qualified but you might want to find someone more familiar with bulldogs than GS, Dob's, and Rott's. Try asking these folks about a trainer in your area, they're located in Ohio I believe. I've spoke to them before, tell her I told you to contact them.

[email protected]

·
Registered
720 Posts
blittle said:
Trina,

Not saying the trainer your looking at isn't qualified but you might want to find someone more familiar with bulldogs than GS, Dob's, and Rott's.
Same principles apply for any breed when it comes to obedience training, its when you get into personal protection work that you need a trainer who is experienced will bully breeds!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts