99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Down-stay:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coming to get her reward:

Our proud little fetcher, she done good!!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Awesome job! Looks like she has her distractions w/commands down A okay! A++ for you :wink: (although I think this topic should be in the pictures section, but this ok) great job w/her though!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That is awesome!!!! Way to go! You must have been so proud.

I bet most of the other peoples doggies at the park aren't nearly that well behaved. Did you know those dogs who came up to your dog, or did people just let their dogs run up to any dog?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ambulldogpup said:
Awesome job! Looks like she has her distractions w/commands down A okay! A++ for you :wink: (although I think this topic should be in the pictures section, but this ok) great job w/her though!
SOFTAILJACQUE said:
THATS awesome!!!!!! I love it thanks for sharing!!
Many thanks! Sorry for the delay in responding, but I work odd-ball hours--including Saturdays and Sundays. I posted it here because I felt it fell under "T & O"
We usually spend only 5-10 minutes (at the doggie park) on a little bit of obedience before we romp, but I had the camera, and there were a lot of dogs, so I thought, "Let's see how long she can stay with all of this going on." FWIW, total stay time was about 20 minutes.

Care said:
That is awesome!!!! Way to go! You must have been so proud.

I bet most of the other peoples doggies at the park aren't nearly that well behaved. Did you know those dogs who came up to your dog, or did people just let their dogs run up to any dog?
Thanks, not even close LOL. We did not know any of the dogs there that day, moreover, the owners of the dogs that approached Vega continued to apologize for interrupting our training session. I kept thanking them and telling them it was all right, we wanted the distractions. Yeah, I couldn't be more proud, she is so well behaved, such a model citizen all the time.

Humbly, I have to write, I knew she would do okay because when I'm around she prefers my two-legged companionship to that of the four-legged variety. This is just the first time we took pictures of her staying.:wink:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ZeldasMom said:
Did you train her yourself?
Initially, yes/no; eventually, yes. I trained her from puppyhood, but felt that perhaps I wasn't doing the best job, so we went to a place that specializes in police dogs--negative reinforcement--for some private lessons. Shortly after a couple of private lessons I realized that positive reinforcement works better with our baby and that I wasn't really doing such a bad job. Moreover, Vega getting "worked over" by a trainer made her appreciate me--and my training approach--that much more.

·
Registered
449 Posts
That's really great. Negative reinforcement? I've never heard of it. How long did it take you and did you ever feel like giving up?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ZeldasMom said:
That's really great. Negative reinforcement? I've never heard of it. How long did it take you and did you ever feel like giving up?
Thanks. Negative reinforcement, simply put, is slipping on a choker or prong collar and training or modifying behaviour via punishment.

Can't tell you how many times I had wanted to give up, the first year to year-and-half were the hardest, but fortunately I used to work out of the house and was able to give her a decent amount of attention mixed with, fairness, love, consistency, persistence, and very little anger.

Plus it takes being anal, even when visiting my stepson's for a b-day party, the girls have to sit before they're allowed to go outside:

Boy! It looks like I'm prepared for a flood with those pants :oops:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Bogie said:
ZeldasMom said:
Thanks. Negative reinforcement, simply put, is slipping on a choker or prong collar and training or modifying behaviour via punishment.
Couldn't have phrased it better myself! Thanks for showing such great proof of the effectiveness of positive training - and I just love your dog's reward!! Nothing like a bully swing, is there?

Lisa

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chynasmom said:
Bogie said:
ZeldasMom said:
Couldn't have phrased it better myself! Thanks for showing such great proof of the effectiveness of positive training - and I just love your dog's reward!! Nothing like a bully swing, is there?

Lisa
Nothing better!! I have to admit, she has a hard time "staying" when somebody is at the front door--she needs to greet everybody!!
However, if I *show* her the choker before going to the door, she won't budge :lol: Interestingly, I can't tell you guys how many times I have read that we shouldn't play tug-of-war with bullies! Frankly, with our bully, I think that's bull!

·
Registered
181 Posts
depends on the owner

I think the "no tug" rule is probably good when given to dog owners who aren't really "dog people" (although they really shouldn't have bullies, should they). We love to play tug, but we're pretty strict about making sure WE win the game, not Chyna. We're not obsessive (there are books that say restrict it to ONE tug toy, and that toy shouldn't be left around - I'm not that good a housekeeper), but we did train a very reliable "release" before engaging in a lot of tug play.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: depends on the owner

Chynasmom said:
I think the "no tug" rule is probably good when given to dog owners who aren't really "dog people" (although they really shouldn't have bullies, should they). We love to play tug, but we're pretty strict about making sure WE win the game, not Chyna. We're not obsessive (there are books that say restrict it to ONE tug toy, and that toy shouldn't be left around - I'm not that good a housekeeper), but we did train a very reliable "release" before engaging in a lot of tug play.
Warning!! Ramble Alert Below!!

Agreed! In order to teach a dog "quiet," one may first need to teach "speak"; by the same token, sometimes you cannot teach "give" or "drop" or "let me see" or "leave it" or "out" without first teaching "take." We only play tug/whirlie-bird with a "Cool" Kong: Which she can't lunge for--she must first be granted permission (did you mention "obsessive") and which doubles as her fetch toy, thus she must "give" before I toss it for her to retrieve...we then mix it up between fetch and tug.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts