Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, we've had the worst night (well, I have.. the husband was working).

I got home last night to find about 20 pieces of electric cable on the back verandah.... I knew what it was.... Patch had gotten into the gas hot water heater, and there's an electric cord that plugs into an outdoor outlet.

He's pulled it out before.... but this time, he had chewed the thing to bits.... and we had no hot water!

so i phoned my brother-in-law who is an electrician, and the poor bloke drove over (half an hour drive) at 8:30pm last night to re-wire it and put a new electric plug in.

So we tie up the cable with electric tape so he can't get to it.

Then this morning, I see the black plastic cover thing on the verandah... he'd gotten into it again!!!!!!!!!!
he had pulled the plug, but hadn't managed to chew it to bits yet...

so i re-plugged it, and got the thickest black duct tape we have and taped up the whole thing so that he couldn't even see any cable.

I go inside to make my morning coffee (after yelling and screaming) and I hear him going for it again!
He started chewing the black tape!
So i go find a plastic box, and tape that around the outlet..... he tries chewing it again the minute I went inside!

So i lost it at him again, got the *&^* big time (my neighbours must think i am a nutter!) and i tied him up for an hour and didn't give him breakfast.... that's how angry i was... i was almost in tears!

I left for work and he was still tied up.. but the husband was home (he starts work at midday today, working til midnight)... and he let him off the leash.

The husband has now moved his kennel in front of the thing, so he can't get to it......... it's SO not staying there though.
i'm going to buy a metal grate of some sort and cover it and bolt it to the wall.......... ill go to the harware store again tonight.

I AM SO OVER THIS!

what do i do?

the last few weeks, he has regressed into "little sh*t puppy-hood" again!!!!!!!!!!

The thing is, we have been tiring him out with exercise... to the point where he just falls asleep after a trip to the park or down to the river.... so we think "ahh, he'll just crash tonight... we won't hear a peep out of him" ..... and it seems he's only getting fitter and stronger... and becoming more of a nuisance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Puregrover said:
ah cage him
We don't crate him.. He's outside while we are out at work.

The thing is, he is really good for a while, then bang - for like 2 weeks he will chew everything in site.

I'm starting to think this is a reaction to us paving the yard..... there's less room for him to dig nowadays, so he's resorting to chewing?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Bummer, naughty Patch!

It might be time to build a large outdoor run for him to be in. Chewing on electrical cords can kill him. He has been lucky to unplug it before chewing into the wire.

I worked as a groomer at a vet for a few years, and saw this numerous times.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I have read many of your posts, many that have revolved around "problems" you are having with Patch.

There is one thing that remains constant with all the problems you have with Patch. The common demonitaor is too much freedom.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is Patch not around 8 months old or so? So you have a puppy, NOT an adult dog, yet you expect your puppy to act like an adult.

You take Patch for a walk, allow him to sniff the butts of other dogs, the other dogs retailiate, and its the other dogs fault. Hmmmm.

You are annoyed by the fact Patch jumps on you, yet when you are offered training tips you respond with "I don't want to hurt him".

You give your puppy free run of the backyard but repeatedly come to this forum complaining about everytyhing Patch has ruined.

HELLO. Buy a crate or kennel and use it. You are expecting adult behaviour from a puppy and it just isn't going to happen. Accept it. It is not cruel to cage or kennel an animal but it sure seems cruel to torture this forum every week with all your complaints that boil down to one thing -YOU. Not one of the problems that you are having with Patch can be blamed on anything but you. Sorry to be blunt and not sugar coat but every week its a different problem and every problem you are offered advice for it is seems you are unwilling to take it. It gets old after a while.

Do yourself and all of us a favor and start putting some boundaries on your dog. Stop giving it so much freedom because your dog is obviously not ready to deal with it. Accept that what you have is a puppy, and not an adult dog and act accordingly. When you ask for advice take it or else stop complaining about normal puppy behaivour that all of use here deal with without all the drama. A puppies world is only as big as you make it. If you don't want to deal with normal puppy behaviour then either don't get a puppy or take the proper precautions in order to keep order in your home. The solutions to all your so called problems are so simple.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I agree 100% with what Lisa said! If you don't start to get control of this dog he is going to hurt himself. He is a dog not a human, putting him in a crate is not going to hurt him as a matter of fact they like their crates, Putting boundaries on this pup will save him and you a lot of heartache. I hate to say it but if you don't get a handle on this dog he is going to hurt himself or you. Becuase it sounds to me like Patch is the boss and he won't be so kind as not to correct you when you over step your bounds.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lisa said:
I have read many of your posts, many that have revolved around "problems" you are having with Patch.

There is one thing that remains constant with all the problems you have with Patch. The common demonitaor is too much freedom.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is Patch not around 8 months old or so? So you have a puppy, NOT an adult dog, yet you expect your puppy to act like an adult.

You take Patch for a walk, allow him to sniff the butts of other dogs, the other dogs retailiate, and its the other dogs fault. Hmmmm.

You are annoyed by the fact Patch jumps on you, yet when you are offered training tips you respond with "I don't want to hurt him".

You give your puppy free run of the backyard but repeatedly come to this forum complaining about everytyhing Patch has ruined.

HELLO. Buy a crate or kennel and use it. You are expecting adult behaviour from a puppy and it just isn't going to happen. Accept it. It is not cruel to cage or kennel an animal but it sure seems cruel to torture this forum every week with all your complaints that boil down to one thing -YOU. Not one of the problems that you are having with Patch can be blamed on anything but you. Sorry to be blunt and not sugar coat but every week its a different problem and every problem you are offered advice for it is seems you are unwilling to take it. It gets old after a while.

Do yourself and all of us a favor and start putting some boundaries on your dog. Stop giving it so much freedom because your dog is obviously not ready to deal with it. Accept that what you have is a puppy, and not an adult dog and act accordingly. When you ask for advice take it or else stop complaining about normal puppy behaivour that all of use here deal with without all the drama. A puppies world is only as big as you make it. If you don't want to deal with normal puppy behaviour then either don't get a puppy or take the proper precautions in order to keep order in your home. The solutions to all your so called problems are so simple.
You know what? You are right.
He does have a lot of freedom. And i AM probably the problem.

But don't say i am never willing to take advice............. because i AM! That's why i come on this forum!
I have taken the advice of many forum members.... the reason i feed Patch the food he is on is because of this forum. The reason I go to OB training is because of this forum. We've started the NILIF thing because of this forum.

I no longer allow him to "sniff other dogs bums" in the streets anymore.... and at training school i don't allow it without the consent of the owner.

I have started kneeing him in the ribs when he jumps up onto me (yes, initially i was scared i would hurt him... but i'm still doing it), and i've been doing this for over a week now.. and it's slowly working.

I guess I should post that i AM taking your advice so that people don't think i am ignoring it!

I have repeatedly indicated that i DONT crate Patch for many reasons...... Crating is not very big down here in Australia. But that's not the reason... On some occasions my husband and i can be away at work for around 10 hours, and i don't feel comfortable crating him. And i know there are many other forum users who don't crate their dogs either... so don't tell me off for not crating him.

I posted this so that perhaps someone might have some advice.... like the bitter apple spray solution.

I am trying to work on the freedom thing.... and we're trying to control him a lot more. He's fine with my husband... but he has issues with listening to me.
I think i am too soft on him.

It is hard when he is in the backyard - I know... we chose to have him as a backyard puppy.....
but surely there are other ways of setting boundaries without crating?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Lisa said:

Some of your points are fair enough, however when did a forum become a place to be "hammered" by "distinguished" members?

You might know alot about dogs, but you need to learn how to make a delivery to a person - and what you wrote above definately isn't it.

Patch obviously needs a stern owner and some definate boundaries, however when you give advice like that instead of looking like the learned individual that you are - you just sound like an a$$hole.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
but surely there are other ways of setting boundaries without crating?
You are right, a kennel would work well also. Maybe even better...no need to take him out for potty.

PS Snoopy, I don't sugar coat. Sugar coating is for babies and last time I checked this was an adult forum.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Snoopy said:
Lisa said:

Some of your points are fair enough, however when did a forum become a place to be "hammered" by "distinguished" members?

You might know alot about dogs, but you need to learn how to make a delivery to a person - and what you wrote above definately isn't it.

Patch obviously needs a stern owner and some definate boundaries, however when you give advice like that instead of looking like the learned individual that you are - you just sound like an a$$hole.
thanks Snoopy.
i must admit, that post got me a little angry... because it really isn't correct.

it seems that you get hammered in this forum by many members because you choose not to crate your dogs.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Patch. Most people could care less whether you crate your dog or not. Just don't come on here every week complaining about all the things your puppy destroys because you give it too much freedom. Puppies will be puppies!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lisa said:
Patch. Most people could care less whether you crate your dog or not. Just don't come on here every week complaining about all the things your puppy destroys because you give it too much freedom. Puppies will be puppies!
So what's this forum for then? I thought it was a medium for voicing opinions, asking for advice, telling others what your dog gets up to, etc.

Yes, I have had problems with patch... and i've asked for advice... sometimes i get good advice.. sometimes I don't... but I DO tend to take on the good advice!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
You only have three choices that I can see:
Crate
Build a run
Leash him so that he only has so many feet that he can walk.(in most dogs cases that would be a chain so they can't eat through it) Personally I don't think in Patch's case it would be cruel. I know that you would not just leave him chained in the backyard for the rest of his life since he is into chewing electrical wires, i think that it is the better option.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
angie7349 said:
Crate
Build a run
Leash him so that he only has so many feet that he can walk.(in most dogs cases that would be a chain so they can't eat through it) Personally I don't think in Patch's case it would be cruel. I know that you would not just leave him chained in the backyard for the rest of his life since he is into chewing electrical wires, i think that it is the better option.
The husband and I were just discussing it and I suggested that we fence off part of the yard.... which will give him about 3x3metres. This section consists of two brick walls of the house, and one side is the colourbond fencing.... so we would only have to get about 3 metres of pool fencing for the other side. The only problem is, there's no grass there for him to "do his business" - that's on the other side of the yard.

The other solution is to just fence off the side of the yard where the electric/gas thing is (it's on the other side of the house)... but that would mean he would have free reign of the rest of the yard, including the outdoor furniture which he chews, and the clothes line. I can deal with that.... because he can't kill himself ripping clothes off the line (unless I kill him for doing it... hehehe kidding) or chewing the chairs... I am just very worried about the electric wires.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Patch said:
angie7349 said:
Crate
Build a run
The husband and I were just discussing it and I suggested that we fence off part of the yard.... which will give him about 3x3metres. This section consists of two brick walls of the house, and one side is the colourbond fencing.... so we would only have to get about 3 metres of pool fencing for the other side. The only problem is, there's no grass there for him to "do his business" - that's on the other side of the yard.

The other solution is to just fence off the side of the yard where the electric/gas thing is (it's on the other side of the house)... but that would mean he would have free reign of the rest of the yard, including the outdoor furniture which he chews, and the clothes line. I can deal with that.... because he can't kill himself ripping clothes off the line (unless I kill him for doing it... hehehe kidding) or chewing the chairs... I am just very worried about the electric wires.
The second one is not addressing any underlying problems for you or Patch - he will still chew furniture, clothes etc - this is considered bad behaviour and needs to be addressed. You do definately need to make sure he doesnt kill himself in the short term with the electrical wires, but you also need to solve the issues you are having.

The best solution is the one that works for Patch and you, not the easiest unfortunately!!

It is definately frustrating, have been through this type of problem a few times.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Snoopy said:
Patch said:
angie7349 said:
Crate
Build a run

The second one is not addressing any underlying problems for you or Patch - he will still chew furniture, clothes etc - this is considered bad behaviour and needs to be addressed. You do definately need to make sure he doesnt kill himself in the short term with the electrical wires, but you also need to solve the issues you are having.

The best solution is the one that works for Patch and you, not the easiest unfortunately!!

It is definately frustrating, have been through this type of problem a few times.
Yes, i remember you had the same problems with Diesel chewing wires at your old place. And the bbq...
But you blocked off that area for him... maybe that's what I need to do here?

Maybe I need to call in that supernanny type lady off that TV show "It's me or the dog"?

do you think my first suggestion is viable though? Even though there's no grassed area for him to pee/poo?

then i'm thinking.... ohhh if i fence off that section, he won't be able to lay under the pergola out of the sun (which he loves to do).... maybe I can get a shade cloth or something for him?

Gosh, am i being too soft again..?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lisa said:
Why does Patch need a grassy area to do his business? I don't understand.
oh cos Patch has OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder).

i have diagnosed him with this illness!

Not only does he NOT EVER pee or poo in any public place, but he only pees on grass.... the grass in our backyard.

we drove to coffs harbour once, which is 6 hours north of Sydney... and we stopped 5 times to try to get him to pee and he held on until we got to my mother-in-laws place, and even then it was an effort to get him to pee in her yard.

he never pees at parks.... even when we are there for hours.... he will hold on til we get home and then we let him into the backyard and he will do a 10-minute pee......

there are pavers on that part of the yard we are thinking of fencing off.... (new ones too!!!)
i don't think he would poo/pee on them.

and i'm even willing to risk having to hose it down every day....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, but lcuky for us, that was the only thing Diesel would destroy - we trained him not to take clothes off the line and made sure he had no access to anything he would chew that we didnt want him to. Now he's great - the only thing he loves for some reason is the garden hose!!

I think if you aren't going to be at home at all, it is a good idea for him to have some grass to relieve himself on. Your not being soft - it is so important that he has shade, especially with the summer we have coming up - no shade would just be cruel.

Something like http://www.catnip.com.au/dog_yards.htm is what I had in mind. You can put it over the grassed area and have shade or a Kennel inside it.

Expensive, but solves all problems.

This doesn't take away they fact that you still need to be strong with patch - all the posts on here have addressed the fact that he is a pup and you need an enclosure - however my dogs have proven that you can teach them not to behave this way and by identifying and solving the underlying reasons for him acting this way, you can gradually take away the need to enclose him.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.