Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we had been planning to switch our 3 month old pup to a raw diet, specifically the BARF frozen patties. I had done some research, lots of reading, and gotten feedback from this forum. Also, our trainer is a big Raw food advocate & had good answers to all of my questions.

Now, here's the problem. Our vet says No Raw ... absolutely opposed to it. Now, I know what everyone says about how vets aren't trained in nutrition, etc. Well, in this case she sounded very well versed & said she had done research of her own. She does not sell or benefit in any way from the sale of a kibble in her office & is very supportive of our choosing a quality holistic kibble.

She said, essentially, that now dogs are domesticated animals & they're body, digestive system, & enzyme make up is not the same as a wild dog from 200 years ago. For the same reason we, as humans, wouldn't eat a raw egg, beef heart, or chicken neck she say she is opposed to it for dogs.

Any suggestions? It is hard to find NON-Biased research & information on this topic --- all the researchers seem to stand to benefit financially from their findings.........

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Well, nobody that feeds it here has any problems that they have expressed. They all seem to have great results on it. I haven't heard a bad thing about it yet.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I bet most vets are against raw. I trust real dog people on nutrition over vets. My girl has been on raw for 3 weekes and I can see a huge difference already. I would never go back to kibble.

Yes dogs are domesticated, but that does not mean that their bodys have evolved that quickly as to where they are much different than a wild dog. They didnt even have kibble until relatively recently. Dogs ate scraps from humans which included raw meat. In my opinion domestication has nothing to do with arguing against a raw diet.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
most vets do oppose raw diets. my vet pushes holistic medicines yet opposses a raw diet :dontknow: go figure. i still feed a raw diet, my dog, my choice

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Unless you get a holisic vet it is very unlikely you'll find a traditional vet who agrees with a BARF diet. There are some, but not many. Everybody has there own opinion, and to be blunt, yes sometimes there is the rare occasion it is said raw diet kills a dog/cat. Although a lot more dogs/cats die from contaminated kibble than raw food, but you never hear vets going around saying you shouldn't feed kibble. I'm not trying to freak anybody out by using the "D" word, just being honest.

It is true that just as we have changed so have our furry friends. But 200 years ago we cooked our meats, also it was only some 20-30 years ago we started giving commercial foods to our pets. You cannot compare humans to canines. Also have we not been finding out that all of the chemicals in our 20th and 21st century diet have been killing us? Are we not realizing that a back to basics approach to our diets, including organic vegtables and free range meats are best? Then why is it not ok for our pets to also go back to their roots?

I have researched both side for years and have come to the conclusion that a raw diet is best. My allopathic vet is against raw, but my holisic vet is for it. If you don't know why you're feeding it and cannot give your vet facts on why you know it's the best for your dog, maybe you're not ready for the switch. You have to do your own research, read both sides of the natural raw diet, and make the decision on your own.

Sorry, I'm not really asking you why to these questions or trying to preach. I tend to take the advice of vets who have some extra nutrition courses under their belts, and they are hard to find. This is a controversial subject, that's why it's best to do lots of research.

As for non-biased info on a raw diet why not join a raw feeding group? There you will get information from people who have years experience with feeding raw and they are not making anything off of it. Here is a friends site, she has a great page on raw feeding and natural rearing and she's been doing it for over 20 years: www.lepus.reach.net

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Well, she's very wrong in one aspect: kibble has been around for less than 50 years. That's nowhere near enough time for any species to evolve biologically to adapt to a kibble diet. In fact, even 200 years is not enough time for a species to go through such a significant biological evolution. Dogs are still carnivores and scavengers; that hasn't changed. The comparison to peoples diets is invalid also. People have been omnivores for thousands of years, and that hasn't changed in modern times just because we eat horrible processed foods like McDonalds and Pizza Hut. Remember the food pyramid from high school? Those are our biologically appropriate foods. Processed foods are nowhere in there. Just because humans and dogs can survive to a decent age on a crappy diet doesn't mean we are as healthy as we could be. Your vet has likely never been exposed to the raw diet, and she's probably "afraid" of it like many pet owners.

·
Registered
576 Posts
It sounds like the vet has been referring to the articles at this website http://secondchanceranch.org/training/raw_meat/index.html

I used to be very afraid to feed raw, but then I went to my training club and saw how beautiful and toned the dogs are that go there. So I decided to give it a try. It has made a huge difference in Loki's coat, stamina, muscle tone, etc etc etc. Not only is her coat super shiny, but it feels like SILK!!! Not to mention, Loki LOVES the food. As soon as we bring it out she starts licking her chops like CRAZY!!!

Since we have been feeding her raw, I swear to you, I can nearly ALWAYS tell when I see a dog that is on a RAW diet. Their coats are super super shiny and their muscles are always incredible. I always use Tala as an example when people ask about raw diets. Her coat is gorgeous (as you can see above). I also send pics of Rocky and Layla. I posted a pic of them below, just look at those beautiful coats!!!

The bottom line is this. Listen to what your vet has to say of course, and certainly consider it, but do your own research too! Also, it may be worth just doing a trial run for a month. See how it goes and see how you feel about it. Now that I've done it I will never go back. And plus, I get to take adorable pics like this one :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts