Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 6 mo. ab that weighs 85 pounds.hes large.his mother and father were both 100 pound dogs.hes has a sister out of the same litter that weighs about 65 pounds and he has a brother that weighs about the same as him. i have seen no signs of problems as far as the way he moves or anything in his activity level.i have both of my dogs out at least an hour a night for exercise.i also do obediance 15 min a night and class on weds.i have taken him on short bike rides a few times and he'll run with me with no problems(nothing heavy.nothing real far or fast).i feed him 2 times a day and have him on pet tabs (but he does like to steal food when noone is looking)and he'll drink every bit of water in his bowl. what my problem is i guess is that i don't want to over work him trying to keep his weigh down.i mean he still is a puppy(a very large puppy) and either way i don't want to hurt him in the long run.any thoughts?i have some pic's of him i'll try to post if i can figure it out or i can e-mail some pics[/url]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/h444333/fran2.jpghttp://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/h444333/fran7.jpghttpi72.photobucket.com/album/i184/h444333/fran5.jpg

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
he doesn't look overweight to me in that pic but I'm a really bad judge of that kind of stuff. I think he looks good. My dog Heidi is 94 lbs. and you can still see her ribs a little (if you look really closely :wink: ). She went to the vet yesterday and he said she looked great. We do an hour walk/ jog every night and she never seems to get tired. She's a year and a half though, I'm not sure about a 6mos. old.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply.i just don't want to over work him if its nothing.some people say this is good this is bad do this do that you know what i mean.i take him to the local animal hospital for training class' every week so i weigh him on the vet scale.week before last he was 79 this past week he was 85.he has no problem running jumping and playing in general(he has no problem trying to jump in the bed in morning either).the breeder said his mother weighed 115 during her last pregnancy.i know he comes from big dogs.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
he's not really overweight but i would shave a few pounds off of him.

personally i keep my dogs lean, it's much healthier for them.

i like to be able to see a rib or two with plenty of muscle definition.

there is a difference between a thin/emacited dog and a healthy lean dog.

a thin/emaciated dog you will be able to see ribs and maybe spine and hip bones with no muscle definition

with a health lean dog you can see a rib or two but there is muscle definition on the legs, hips, chest, etc.

this is my boy, elijah

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know what you mean.i guess tone is what i'm looking for.i don't want him to grow up with a lab body or something like that(no offense to lab owners).i guy i know had an ab pup who got real big and he had to go on vitamin supplements and so on.it kinda got me worried.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
fran & cilla said:
i know what you mean.i guess tone is what i'm looking for.i don't want him to grow up with a lab body or something like that(no offense to lab owners).i guy i know had an ab pup who got real big and he had to go on vitamin supplements and so on.it kinda got me worried.
It doesn't hurt to give any large breed animal supplements for their joints. Most large breeds (including humans) will have issues at some point. Ester-C is a really good one to get any dog on. It won't hurt them in anyway, can only be helpful to build strong healthy joints, cartiledge, etc. An older female of mine gets it on a daily basis, but I also feed my 9 month old ab the same supplement. It's good for young and old alike. Don't be worried about supplements - they are a normal part of a healthy diet, unless the food you are feeding has everything they need, which is not usually the case.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
fran & cilla said:
i hear ya :lol:
i have a lab too and i also keep her lean. especially since she's old, she doesnt need added weight bearing down on her hips

·
Registered
704 Posts
Your AB isn't fat, but definitely could stand to lose a few pounds and tighten up musclewise. I feel it's especially important to keep AB pups lean when they are growing..overweight pups can have added stress on thier bones and joints and can have growth problems, dysplasia, arthritis, etc. I keep all my dogs lean and fit...I have a six year old who runs and jumps like a pup..it really makes a difference to keep them in shape. I would cut back on your dog's food by a half cup or so, maybe get him into some springpole work or swimming (you want low-impact excercise until your dog is about a year old) Supplements are a great idea..alll my dogs receieve glucosamine, chondroiton, MSM, Ester-C and Fish oil on a daily basis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.