Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or are there alot of overwieght dogs out there? Are people killing their pets with too much love (food)?

Last night I saw this dog that takes the cake. If there is a poster boy for OBESE dogs this dog would be it. I wish I had my camera with me.

I gave a co worker/friend a ride home from work last night. I was invited in for a beer.

This couple has a 7 yr old Yellow Lab mix. (looks mostly lab to me). I swear to god this thing is about 30# over wieght!! I could not believe my eyes!! Their owners told me he wieghs 117# and he looks it! They were not exagerating!! This dog in shape should probably weigh #80. He looked to be about 24" high at the withers. This dog literally, looked like a suasage with legs.

They went on to tell me that up until recently, they were feeding it 7 cups of Pedigree dog food per day!!!
:shock:

Can you imagine eating 7 cups of basically CORN every day???? Holy crap!!! I told her if that dog was mine I'd have it on about 1-2 cups per day for the next few months until that weight come off....then bump it back up to about 3 cups per day as maintenance. She looked at me like I was nuts and went on to tell me that she switced brands (because she heard Pedigree was no good) . She switched to another grocery store brand and said she cut him down to 5 cups per day to try and help him lose weight. She said she didnt think she should cut him back too much because it would be mean and cruel. :roll: I told her she will never take the wieght off with that approach.

These people are literally KILLING their dog with kindness. If this dog develops hip or joint problems he is screwed. Diabetes is also a strong possibility because of his size and all the grain (corn) he is being fed. I could not believe the shape this dog was in. We were outside in their enclosed porch having a beer and it was about 60 degrees F out there. It was cool and this dog was just sitting around, hanging out with us. It was panting just sitting there! I couldn't beleive it! This dog is just a MESS!!!

I was proud of myself though. I didn't really get on a soapbox or anything but boy did I feel like it! I just said I would take him home and take the weight off by the end of the summer . :wink: The didn't seem too receptive to the idea. They didn't like my tough love approach at all.....lol.

Very sad really, I honestly can't see this dog living the length of life he should....and they think I am cruel?? WTF?

Just had to share my story.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Lisa,

This has been an issue with me even before I was a dog owner. I always said people are killing their dogs with love. Supposedly in other countrys, non north american, it isnt this way with their dogs. My dad's dog is overweight and so was his last one(which dies early). We were over for dinner recently and the time, they were feeding the dogs pizza from the table the entire time. They didnt even wait until we were all done eating. Almost every dog I see is overweight. It is so sickening.

There is a guy in my apartment complex that I met a few months ago while walking Loki. He had the golden retreiver that was huge. He proceeded to tell me that he rescued it from a home where they didnt care about him, free fed him, and he was 35lbs overweight. He planned on running and exercising the dog until it lost weight.
Man, now this dog looks so good! He got all of the weight off plus some. And he looks so much happier. I wish more prople would do this.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Lisa what do you feed your dogs? and how much?

Nox is 45lbs and he gets 2 1/2 to 3 cups, depending on what kind of snacks/treats he gets that day
Isis is 80lbs and she gets 3 to 4, unless there are extras like venison meat or eggs
Jager is 110-115lbs and he gets 4 to 5 also depending on his treat intake...

is this too much? i doubt its too little.... what kind of dog food do you feed them? what is the best out there? right now we have them on Iams, Nox's stomach doesnt take well to much other, especially pedigree.

This doesn't have to be directed just to Lisa... everyone I'd love your response as well!

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I can't stand seeing a fat dog, but I think it is about 10 times worse when you see a fat puppy, I hate it. The poor thing can't even grow properly. I always get razzed cause Lucy is skinny. Everyone says, "puppies are supposed to be fat" Lucy is naturally a pretty skinny dog, and I can feel her ribs if I press, but she definately isn't too skinny.

I think people read the bag of dog food, and go by that, You CAN'T do that. Bruno was fat, that is cause Chads family fed him what the bag said, when he didn't need that (he also wasn't getting enough exercise). For Lucy's food it says to feed her 2.5 cups a day. I feed her 2.5 cups PER FEEDING!!! and she still is in good shape, every dog is different.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
This is a pet peeve of mine as well. I get absolutely incensed with my parents (my dad in particular) because he refuses to stop feeding their dogs table scraps and treats all the freaking time between meals. "It's only one bite," he says. Yeah - followed by another, then another - then a bite (or four) of EVERY snack, meal and repaste throughout the day, then lick the plates clean or drink the rest of the milk from the cereal bowl, then "cookies" at random intervals, on top of regular feedings - ARGH ](*,).

At least I convinced them to feed Canidae instead of the grocery store crap they were feeding (Purina One I think it was). What bugs me is that they listened to me about that and they now marvel at how much better both of their dogs look and how much more energy they have and how much shinier and brighter their coats and eyes are, yet for some reason they refuse to believe me when I tell them they're going to cause their dogs to die early due to overfeeding. I'd hoped maybe a little light bulb would go off somewhere - "Hey, maybe Chris knows what he's talking about here..."

No such luck (yet).

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I agree. Almost every dog I see out these days is overweight to some extent. Especially the little ones!! Just look at America as a whole, most Americans are overweight (not sure about you Canadians LOL ) so I guess it's only fair that the dogs are overweight as well. :roll:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Yep. I totally agree. One of my neighbors has an obese APBT/Black Lab. The dog went blind at about 9 years old, and they started over-feeding her because they feel sorry for her condition. They've made her quality of life really crappy because she's 12 now, and has trouble even standing up with all the weight. The weight problem on top of being blind is just awful for her. It's sad.

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
My mom (R.I.P.) had a peek-a-poo/JRT mix. First of all, that dog was mean and ugly, lol! Worse...he ate table food...and that was it...no dog kibble! he ate whatever my mom was eating at breakfast, lunch and dinner. He *should've* weighed about 13-15 lbs...he weighed 32!! That's more than DOUBLE what he should've weighed! ACK! When my mom passed away, lucky me got custody of Oliver. he wasn't completely housebroken and had never eaten dog food. Within 2 days of crate training, he was housebroken and ot took about 3 days, but he finally started eating dog food. Ittook 4 trips to the vet in a year's time to repair the damage to his teeth from eating only soft people food. he had to have several pulled and had to have a series of deep cleanings. I'm happy to say he was back down to an acceptable weight within a couple months and he lived a long helathy life...he passed away in his sleep at age 15.

i think my mom honestly believed she was spoiling him, when in fact she was seriously affecting his health. I doubt he would've lived as long as he did, had he stayed in that situation.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
BergstromsABs said:
Lisa what do you feed your dogs? and how much?

Nox is 45lbs and he gets 2 1/2 to 3 cups, depending on what kind of snacks/treats he gets that day
Isis is 80lbs and she gets 3 to 4, unless there are extras like venison meat or eggs
Jager is 110-115lbs and he gets 4 to 5 also depending on his treat intake...

is this too much? i doubt its too little.... what kind of dog food do you feed them? what is the best out there? right now we have them on Iams, Nox's stomach doesnt take well to much other, especially pedigree.

This doesn't have to be directed just to Lisa... everyone I'd love your response as well!

I would suggest finding them a new food asap. This should help ya out
http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=642

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
My neighbor has a beautiful male staffy bull. The poor thing weighs about 60lbs and he is normal size. A staffy bull! He is so fat. Anytime I see the owner take him out he takes him right back inside after he does his thing. Its a shame.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
One of friends parents has a pug that weighs prob 70 pounds. It is so overwieght it cant hardly walk and it cant breath without snortin. It is ridiculous. My boss has a boxer I gave him about a year ago that was skin and bones. I didnt see it for about 8 months and when I saw him my jaw dropped he was so fat. My boss has him on a diet now though so at least he is tryin to keep him healthy

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I guess Deuce could be put into this category. This is when I got him from the breeder. He was so fat he didn't start walking til he was 8 weeks. The first few weeks we had him he could walk, but his legs got splayed all the time. This is what he looked like.

He is still chubby I think, but I am new to this puppy thing. I am trying to learn as much as I can and do what is best. Any advice. Do you think he is still too big?

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I can't see Deuce's pic because photobucket is blocked here at work, otherwise I would give you my 2 cents. :D

But I know what everyone is talking about. I spend all day every Saturday at Petsmart doing adoptions, and it breaks my heart to see all those dogs SOOO fat. Poor dogs - especially labs and beagles and goldens. And so many of those people swear that their dogs is just SO healthy! I just don't understand it. Buster gets the least little bit mushy and I'm cutting back on food and changing diet. People frequently look at my Sophie and tell me she's too thin, but she's not - she's perfect (if I look HALF that good when I'm her age.... :wink: ).

But some people you just can't tell anything....... :banghead:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Well I know he isn't huge, but I wanted to see if I should maybe cut back a little on his food. He was a little bowling ball in the first pic, but he has changed a lot since then.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts