Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
Hi Roxy. I don't know if I can be of much help, but I walk Toby and Sid together. They do just fine. Toby never had any leash issues, but Sid did. We resorted to a harness for him and he quit pulling. I can walk both of them without any troubles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,485 Posts
When i walk 2 at a time it can be a real pain in the a$$ :lol: but then again mine arent that well trained to walk right on a leash :oops:

couplers are great for walking 2 dogs, i plan on getting one. that way you only have to hold one leash and dont have to worry about them or you getting wrapped up in leashes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,671 Posts
I walk my dogs separately. My biggest fear would be walking my 2 dogs and having a loose dog run up and start hassling my dogs. In that case it would be extrememly difficult for me to get any control. My older dog is large and also extrememly hard, so I need two hands to give him a good correction if he needs it. I know alot of people walk their dogs together, but in my case I just don't feel safe with the idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,116 Posts
I don't even try it. I took them both on a hike a few months ago. I had Heaven on a lead because she's wild crazy. And Koa was just a baby so I let him walk along freely beside me. If I tried to take them both now, they'd be swiftly dragging me down the street. Well, I still think Koa would follow along nicely if I let him. But Heaven -- forget it. That girl is always up to no good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,413 Posts
I do walk Buster and Sophie at the same time, and I use prong collars on both to help me maintain control. Sophie is extremely well trained (I took her to basic and trial obedience classes with a PhD behaviorist for almost a year after I got her as she was really neurotic), and I'm working on Buster. If they aren't well trained yet, you should work on them seperately before trying to take them together, and when you do start with them together, I would start with really short walks until you all get the hang of it, and they know what is expected.

My 2 cents, anyway. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,423 Posts
Lisa said:
I walk my dogs separately. My biggest fear would be walking my 2 dogs and having a loose dog run up and start hassling my dogs. In that case it would be extrememly difficult for me to get any control. My older dog is large and also extrememly hard, so I need two hands to give him a good correction if he needs it. I know alot of people walk their dogs together, but in my case I just don't feel safe with the idea.
I agree with Lisa. I don't walk mine at the same time. I don't feel that I could handle the two of them if a scuffle were to break out. Better safe than sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,975 Posts
I walk mine seperatly as well. That's my only time to work on training on the leash so I feel it's necesary to go seperate. I walked them together recently because I was short on time. There is a huge Magnolia tree up the street that drops these big pods. Well i stepped on one and rolled my ankle. I fell right on my face and it scared the crap out of my dogs. Heidi bolted down the street like a wild animal and I thought for sure she was gonna get hit by a car. I don't even try to walk them together anymore. Besides, they think they're really tough when they are together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
I walk mine together at the same time but I am usually with my husband so he always has Tanner and I have Timber. But we still walk next to each other because they think they have to be "side by side". Which doesn't bother me.
 

·
Agent Squint
Joined
·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doesn't the other dog at home get lonely waitng ? I think Roxy may pull the backdoor of the hinges, if walked with out her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,975 Posts
Roxy said:
Doesn't the other dog at home get lonely waitng ? I think Roxy may pull the backdoor of the hinges, if walked with out her.
That's the problem I have. Chico could care less...he's really mellow. Heidi cries the whole time we are gone. I have to wait until my husband comes home to walk them and she still cries when he is home. She's extremely attached to me and it's very stressful. I feel guilty leaving her because she has bad seperation anxiety. She is fine if she is with Chico but if I have to take him to the vet, Heidi has to go with us or go to my mom's house.
 

·
Agent Squint
Joined
·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chico.Heidi said:
Roxy said:
Doesn't the other dog at home get lonely waitng ? I think Roxy may pull the backdoor of the hinges, if walked with out her.
That's the problem I have. Chico could care less...he's really mellow. Heidi cries the whole time we are gone. I have to wait until my husband comes home to walk them and she still cries when he is home. She's extremely attached to me and it's very stressful. I feel guilty leaving her because she has bad seperation anxiety. She is fine if she is with Chico but if I have to take him to the vet, Heidi has to go with us or go to my mom's house.
Roxy's with me most of the time. Sometimes she is quite happy for me to leave, other times I have come home to a hole in the door where the cat flap was once, and now laying in piece's by the back door ready for me to step on when I get home. :twisted: ...and she always looks as me as if to say... 'next time it will be the whole door!!'.... :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,975 Posts
Roxy's with me most of the time. Sometimes she is quite happy for me to leave, other times I have come home to a hole in the door where the cat flap was once, and now laying in piece's by the back door ready for me to step on when I get home. ...and she always looks as me as if to say... 'next time it will be the whole door!!'....
that little devil!!!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,976 Posts
Lisa said:
I walk my dogs separately. My biggest fear would be walking my 2 dogs and having a loose dog run up and start hassling my dogs. In that case it would be extrememly difficult for me to get any control. My older dog is large and also extrememly hard, so I need two hands to give him a good correction if he needs it. I know alot of people walk their dogs together, but in my case I just don't feel safe with the idea.

Yeah, this was a problem for us too.


My step-son got the bright idea of leashing two of our dogs to his scooter. Well needless to say, another dog loose in the neighborhood came up and off went the two dogs with the scooter in tow. Boy did he ever get the ride of his life.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,116 Posts
Luckily I have a back yard that they run and play in, so they get enough exercise that I don't need to walk them... because I know Heaven would be very distraught if I took them separately. And Koa has become such a big wuss, he'd probably cry too. I can't really take Heaven anywhere anymore, she is very aggressive toward other animals, and barks wildly at strangers too. I try to avoid an ugly situation at all costs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,321 Posts
Walking both of mine can be a pain. But since I got prong collars its not bad. I hook the leashes together and for the most dont have any probs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,112 Posts
My husband takes Faith (because she drags me) and I take Molly.
 

·
Agent Squint
Joined
·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LuvaBULL said:
Luckily I have a back yard that they run and play in, so they get enough exercise that I don't need to walk them... because I know Heaven would be very distraught if I took them separately. And Koa has become such a big wuss, he'd probably cry too. I can't really take Heaven anywhere anymore, she is very aggressive toward other animals, and barks wildly at strangers too. I try to avoid an ugly situation at all costs.
yeh I have a large back garden and the use of the school grounds. But at weekends I like pushing jamie and walking Roxy around the nieghbour hood. She has learnt she has to walk behind the pushchair, is she don't... her toes get run over by the p'chairs wheels lol
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top