Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I know a lot of you own more than one bully breed. Eventually, I'd like to have another dog, but I'm scared of having two bully breeds in the same home. How do you guys make sure your two dogs won't fight each other?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
You wanna have the oppostie sex for starters , but that chance is always there. My two get along exceptionally great and I hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Champ_and_jas said:
You wanna have the oppostie sex for starters , but that chance is always there. My two get along exceptionally great and I hope it stays that way.
Yeah, I figured I would have to get a female. Did you get both of them at the same time? Or did you have one before the other?

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
I have a male, female, and male pup (1 1/2 yrs.) from their litter. They all get along great. I attribute it to not allowing them to get in situations where a "fight" is bound to happen. I feed them separately, give them treats separately, etc. And, the other thing is maintaining yourself as the "alpha" and keeping them in line behind you, so to speak. In my house, that goes a LONG way.

~S

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Never had a problem with opposite sexes but can still happen.NO SAME SEXES for sure. I always rotate mine who dont get along.Safe that way. They all get to see mommy but if they want to start stuff with their buddies then they wont see them ..thats it

·
Registered
790 Posts
Amocat00

Now, you have two males in the house. Bullies are dominant by nature to other dogs. Are you trying to breed for non dominance? Don't you think a dog of any worth is going to challenge the dog higher up on the pack? Why would it not? Now, if it is a true bullbaiter of the past, being a combative dog, why would it not want to move up in the pack? I think I missed it. YOu must separate them when you are not around, right?

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Re: Peter...

PeterC said:
Now, you have two males in the house. Bullies are dominant by nature to other dogs. Are you trying to breed for non dominance? Don't you think a dog of any worth is going to challenge the dog higher up on the pack? Why would it not? Now, if it is a true bullbaiter of the past, being a combative dog, why would it not want to move up in the pack? I think I missed it. YOu must separate them when you are not around, right?
Answering your questions in order:
Yes, that's what I clearly stated. Yes, they are. No, I'm not trying to breed for non-dominance, common sense. Yes and no, I've read documentation stating both regarding challenging for dominance. It MAY not because IT knows who the alpha is and knows it's place in the pack. That's what I've read. But, I'm sure you know. It MAY not TRY to move up in the pack, again, because it KNOWS it's place in the pack and it KNOWS it's not the alpha. I'M the alpha of my pack. They would never challenge me. And, from what I've read, there's the alpha, and there's the rest of the pack. Within the pack, the alpha won't allow fighting for position. But, again, I'm sure you disagree. You may have missed "it," but I'm not sure what "it" is. That's in your world. Yes, all three are separated when we're not home, you are correct there.

~S

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so, you guys separate your dogs when you are away? Are they crate trained, or do you just keep them in seperate areas in the home? Have your dogs ever gotten into a fight, before? I mean, most all Pit Bulls are aggressive with other dogs, right? Do you think my dog could learn to get along with another dog? Or would there always be that aggression? haha enough questions for you?

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Tara<3Boss said:
Ok so, you guys separate your dogs when you are away? Are they crate trained, or do you just keep them in seperate areas in the home? Have your dogs ever gotten into a fight, before? I mean, most all Pit Bulls are aggressive with other dogs, right? Do you think my dog could learn to get along with another dog? Or would there always be that aggression? haha enough questions for you?
Mine are all crate trained. But, we don't put Mosley in a crate anymore. He guards the house. Montana and Messiah are both in crates most of the time. But, sometimes I have Mosley upstairs and Montana downstairs. Messiah is ALWAYS in a crate, unless we're testing him. Mine have never gotten in to an all-out fight. They've started, but are trained to separate when they here my command, and have listened so far. It's only happened a couple times over a treat or toy. Do you have a full-blooded APBT? If it is, you have more of a chance of problems than if it's a cross, most likely. Also, did you get it as a young pup or older? These all come in to play. It COULD go it's whole life getting along with other dogs, but do you want to take that chance? Probably not outside the home. With another puppy in your house, you might be fine.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
i had two males in the house, never had a problem. now have a male and a female, and expect to have no problems . it boils down to respect and control. if your dogs have the proper respect for you they can hate each other but won't fight because you don't allow it. have a friend with a male pit and a male staff, both intact. same deal, dogs have a huge amount of respect for their owner, no fights. altho i never had to crate my males , home or not, i don't recommend it. initially and when you are not in direct control i would crate

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as I know, yes he is a purebred APBT. He has all the physical characteristics of an APBT and the proper temperment, I guess. I got him as a puppy, well, he's still a puppy, he's 8 months old. I mean, I take him to play with my friend's Dad's chocolate labs, and he plays nicely with them. He hasn't shown any aggression towards other dogs, yet. I just don't want to get another dog, and not know what to do if any aggression issues arise. What kind of command do you give your dogs if they start to fight?

attitude - This might be a stupid question, but how do you know if your dog has the proper respect for you? You mean like, he always listens to you?

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Tara<3Boss said:
As far as I know, yes he is a purebred APBT. He has all the physical characteristics of an APBT and the proper temperment, I guess. I got him as a puppy, well, he's still a puppy, he's 8 months old. I mean, I take him to play with my friend's Dad's chocolate labs, and he plays nicely with them. He hasn't shown any aggression towards other dogs, yet. I just don't want to get another dog, and not know what to do if any aggression issues arise. What kind of command do you give your dogs if they start to fight?

attitude - This might be a stupid question, but how do you know if your dog has the proper respect for you? You mean like, he always listens to you?
They know "NO!!!" very well...

There are certain things you can do and NOT do to make sure your dogs "respect" you, ie. see you as their "alpha." This training involves every aspect of their lives, from feeding to where they sleep, etc.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Amocat00 said:
Tara<3Boss said:

There are certain things you can do and NOT do to make sure your dogs "respect" you, ie. see you as their "alpha." This training involves every aspect of their lives, from feeding to where they sleep, etc.
Well, Boss doesn't listen very well when other people are around. He has selective hearing in those situations. Does that mean he doesn't see me as the "alpha?"

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Tara<3Boss said:
Amocat00 said:
Tara<3Boss said:

Well, Boss doesn't listen very well when other people are around. He has selective hearing in those situations. Does that mean he doesn't see me as the "alpha?"
It doesn't necessarily mean that at an early age, but it's a start, yes. He's like a teenage child right now, selective hearing. But you need to assert your authority now before he gets much older. He needs to learn quickly that he HAS to listen to you. I even still have some trouble making mine listen when we have visitors. But, if that happens, they get a time-out at the least.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Mine get along great so far. Lucy is only 5 months old and Dozer is only 10 months old, so I don't know if they always will get along for sure. Both are crate trained and will NEVER be left alone together.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
We've always had 2 or more females in the house. We've had multiple pits (some mixed) and ABs. Same as stated above by Shawn and Attitude, our dogs see us as the alpha. I guess technically my husband is, but the dogs respect me the same. Unlike Shawn, my dogs play with toys, and can be fed together. This is their rutine. Mind you ONLY when supervised! We actually never have a problem with feeding, but there have been times where if we weren't around while playing (twice) they probably would have gotten into it. You can tell by your dogs body language when this is about to happen. If I say NO, they dogs immediately stop. No matter what they are doing. If they have a toy and are starting to get crusty, I say "No, stop", then "drop it" and they drop the toy and the dogs are separated for a time out.

Spooky and Sadie were always left alone together. They were together for over 10 years. We never had a problem. Now, Sadie is free in the house, while Jaz is still in a crate. Once Sadie has passed on (hopefully not very soon), Jaz will be free in the house.

I'm not a trainer. This is just my experience with my own dogs. All dogs (and owners) are different. We have taken the dogs to a trainer and our trainer does believe you can generally have a multiple bully breed household and live happily ever after.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
attitude said:
i had two males in the house, never had a problem. now have a male and a female, and expect to have no problems . it boils down to respect and control. if your dogs have the proper respect for you they can hate each other but won't fight because you don't allow it. have a friend with a male pit and a male staff, both intact. same deal, dogs have a huge amount of respect for their owner, no fights. altho i never had to crate my males , home or not, i don't recommend it. initially and when you are not in direct control i would crate
I have seen the 2 dogs that Attitude is referring to first hand so I know that it can be done. The problem is, your average pet owner *typically* (but not always) does not have the skills and experience to train a dog(s) properly and consistently enough to get the much needed respect that is required to prevent fighting between dogs. . This is not meant as an attack at all but I have many friends who own multiple dogs. Most have ZERO control over them and I constantly say to myself that I am so glad they don't own bullies!. I will go to visit and literally sit in the middle of 2 or 3 dogs fighting ! Their owners often don't bat an eye. When they do take notice the dogs are like "huh" you talking to me? I am talking soft, submissive dogs that are easy to train yet their owners have no control. Also, a few short years ago I was a new bully owner and handler. I was a disaster (still trying to overcome those mistakes to this day) I can not imagine at that time having more than one bully let alone 2 bullies of the same sex. Not because I wasn't responsible either. (I have ALWAYS wanted to do the right thing) I just lacked the SKILLS required to have a well trained and controllable dog.. Getting a dog of any breed to respect their owners CONSISTENTLY is tough enough and requires ALOT of work and dedication. Having 2 bull breeds of the same sex is a totally different thing and require a VERY experienced handler. Like I said, I have seen PERSONALLY how Attitude had made it work BUT Attitude knows how to handle a dog, she is consistent and is not afraid to give a dog a correction and she knows how to give one properly and with meaning. Her dogs RESPECT her. The truth is most people who own pets just don't have this type of control over their animals and this is why I always say that its safer to crate and rotate when dealing with same sex bullies. Sure it can work but just because someone like Attitude has been able to do it doesn't mean that its going to be a task easily achieved by everyone. Don't be fooled by her success story. Her story is the EXCEPTION to the rule. Her dogs never fought because she had the skills to prevent it. There is no question about who is Alpha in her house. This is VERY important and cannot be overlooked. If you want to ask yourself if you are ready to take on such a situation take your dog to a park or something.,put it on a long line to be safe, and have a friend come by with their dog. Do obedience with your dog while it is in close proximity to their dog. Have your friends dog have some fun playing on lead and while this is happening ask your dog to sit, heel, come,down and stay etc. Will your dog stay in the down position until you release it with the other dog close by and distracting it? Will your dog ignore the other dog and pay attention to you? Will your dog come to you when you call it when it is distracted by another dog? Will your dog execute these commands after only ONE commad has been given? If you answer NO to these questions then you are probably not ready to take on such a situation. You need to be able to train one dog to respect you and listen to you consistently before you can expect to have 2 dogs live togehter without killing eachother.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Lisa said:
I have seen the 2 dogs that Attitude is referring to first hand so I know that it can be done. The problem is, your average pet owner *typically* (but not always) does not have the skills and experience to train a dog(s) properly and consistently enough to get the much needed respect that is required to prevent fighting between dogs. . This is not meant as an attack at all but I have many friends who own multiple dogs. Most have ZERO control over them and I constantly say to myself that I am so glad they don't own bullies!. I will go to visit and literally sit in the middle of 2 or 3 dogs fighting ! Their owners often don't bat an eye. When they do take notice the dogs are like "huh" you talking to me? I am talking soft, submissive dogs that are easy to train yet their owners have no control. Also, a few short years ago I was a new bully owner and handler. I was a disaster (still trying to overcome those mistakes to this day) I can not imagine at that time having more than one bully let alone 2 bullies of the same sex. Not because I wasn't responsible either. (I have ALWAYS wanted to do the right thing) I just lacked the SKILLS required to have a well trained and controllable dog.. Getting a dog of any breed to respect their owners CONSISTENTLY is tough enough and requires ALOT of work and dedication. Having 2 bull breeds of the same sex is a totally different thing and require a VERY experienced handler. Like I said, I have seen PERSONALLY how Attitude had made it work BUT Attitude knows how to handle a dog, she is consistent and is not afraid to give a dog a correction and she knows how to give one properly and with meaning. Her dogs RESPECT her. The truth is most people who own pets just don't have this type of control over their animals and this is why I always say that its safer to crate and rotate when dealing with same sex bullies. Sure it can t work but just because someone like Attitude has been able to do it doesn't mean that its going to be a task easily achieved by everyone. Don't be fooled by her success story. Her story is the EXCEPTION to the rule. Her dogs never fought because she had the skills to prevent it. There is no question about who is Alpha in her house. This is VERY important and cannot be overlooked. If you want to ask yourself if you are ready to take on such a situation take your dog to a park or something.,put it on a long line to be safe, and have a friend come by with their dog. Do obedience with your dog while it is in close proximity to their dog. Have your friends dog have some fun playing on lead and while this is happening ask your dog to sit, heel, come,down and stay etc. Will your dog stay in the down position until you release it with the other dog close by and distracting it? Will your dog ignore the other dog and pay attention to you? Will your dog come to you when you call it when it is distracted by another dog? Will your dog execute these commands after only ONE commad has been given? If you answer NO to these questions then you are probably not ready to take on such a situation. You need to be able to train one dog to respect you and listen to you consistently before you can expect to have 2 dogs live togehter without killing eachother.
That is very true Lisa. You have to be trained as well as your dog. That's why I said all dogs are different with 'and owners' in brackets. Owners make or break great dogs. We took in a friends dog a few years ago. She was a female pit, an amazing dog. She was completely ruined (or so everybody thought). The owners thought they were spoiling her. She wasn't spoiled, she ruled the house. SHE was the alpha in their pack, what a joke. If they gave her a command, she'd look at you and not do it. Not because she didn't know how, but because she did not want to do it, and she did not think she had to. She had complete lack of respect for her "owners" (really she was their owner). After having her here for a few months she was listening to commands ok, still not 100%, but maybe 75%, which for her was good. She still had separation anxiety when we left (she'd try to eat the crate) her at home. Most of the time it was very hard. She was such a pain, lol, but I think if we would have had her a bit longer she would have been almost as good as our own girls.

Until you know your dog listens to you unconditionally, I'd wait. In the mean time do lots of OB with him, and make sure you distinguish the order of your pack. Make sure your dog knows your the alpha.

·
Registered
790 Posts
hmmmmmmm the million dollar question is........what if a dog thinks HE is the alpha and challenges you? Not just stare. If you get what I mean.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts