Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. I have a 6 year old female American named Ruby. Yesterday, she began limping out of the blue. I played doctor only to notice that her pad on her hind leg is torn and she is seeming to aggravate it by licking at it. I then noticed she has a sore ( for lack of a better word) on her other pad on the other hind leg. What do you think might be causing this? Can I put some neosporin on it until i take her to the vet? Is this a common occurance in AB. I have never had this happen with her before. She like to be pretty lazy, so I doubt it is from running around outside.
Thanks.
Melissa

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
How soft are her pads? If she is mostly indoor and spends little time out side then she just may not have enough callousing on her pads.The callous protects their feet from getting hurt on rough pavement etc. Some dogs just have difficulty getting callouses on there pads if that is the case then call your Vet and they can give you a topical spray that will help callousing along. As far as, going to the Vet for scratched up feet, I would not, becuase there is not much they can do unless is really bad (ie needs stitches).

You can help protect her feet, I know this sounds silly, with baby socks.You can also put a topical anti-bacterial cream on her pads and use baby socks to keep the cream on her. They sell dog shoes, too, but they are fairly expensive if you only want to protect her feet for neosporin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the tip. I tried the baby socks and she ripped them off in a matter of 10 minutes. Hopefully the neosporin had a chance to work it's magic beforehand.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
This sounds silly, but I actually put paw cream on my dog's feet to soften them.
I found that they would get all cracked and bleed when they were dry, I don't have that problem now.
Definately talk to your vet, does he have anything in them?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts