Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

Paper training

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Bustersmommy 
#1 ·
I know paper training is flawed and probably counter-productive to some degree, but we tried it with Gracie after many attempts to get her to pee outside in the freezing subzero temps and snow covered ground here in newfoundland it seemed that shed just shiver and not pee outside. So we opted for the paper method and it went off smoothly, she will only go on her paper now, which is a plus. But I wanted the paper training to be a stepping stone to eventually take her outside after shed mastered that and the wheather cleared a bit, so just wondering if anyone else started out paper training and then swithced. Would appreciate any tips in how to transition a dog from paper trained to going outside. thanks.

#4 ·
I've never done it this way myself, but my parents are doing it with the pup they adopted from me. The litter had been living on paper and going wherever, and when my mom brought her home, she automatically sought out paper to go on. They put the paper by the back door, so now when she goes over there, they quickly hop up and take her out. That's how it's supposed to work, anyway. She's still only 12 weeks old, so they are still a long way from finishing this process. :wink: Anyway, that's my suggestion. Move the paper slowly toward the door where she will be going out, and when you see her go over there and sniff around, take her out to where you want her to go. Then when she potties outside, make a big deal out of what a good girl she is! Treats never hurt! :D

#5 ·
augrad said:
I've never done it this way myself, but my parents are doing it with the pup they adopted from me. The litter had been living on paper and going wherever, and when my mom brought her home, she automatically sought out paper to go on. They put the paper by the back door, so now when she goes over there, they quickly hop up and take her out. That's how it's supposed to work, anyway. She's still only 12 weeks old, so they are still a long way from finishing this process. :wink: Anyway, that's my suggestion. Move the paper slowly toward the door where she will be going out, and when you see her go over there and sniff around, take her out to where you want her to go. Then when she potties outside, make a big deal out of what a good girl she is! Treats never hurt! :D
I cannot agree more I do suggest that you start this as soon as possable. It is very difficult to get a puppy off of paper use. And it will most likely to be even more difficult since she is a bully (Bullheaded OMG!) and with that face it's got to be nearly impossable to say no to her, she is such a pretty girl! Love your avatar. Good luck!

#6 ·
I never understood this whole paper training thing. Why not just make the dog go outside? If it refuses to eliminate outside for whatever reason, bring it in the house and put it in the crate. That way it will be forced to be uncomfortable by holding it in unless they want to lay in their own urine and feces which most dogs won't do. Eventually it will learn it has no choice but to go outside. Sounds like the dog is training its owner. Who wants smelly urine and feces in their house anyway? I certainly wouldn't!!!

#7 ·
My parents used this method with our dog when she was a pup.They did what was said above,they moved the paper to the back door little by little and at one point put the paper down in the grass and once the dog new the paper was outside it just new to go outside and no more paper.Only took them 1 week to house brake that dog.

LISA: When I was a child I recall most using this method for house braking.It was quick and effective if done right.The house never smelled like pee or poo.Infact I don't recall crates ever being used then.These days when you ask about house braking the first thing you hear is crate training and I think crate training is the best method now a days but the paper training does work just don't hear about it all that much anymore.I myself tried the paper training when I got my first pupppy and I was not successful with it.I then heard about the crate training and it worked like a charm and I will not train any other way.( Sorry just my two cents........lol)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.