Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with parrots? My aunt breeds green cheek conures and offered me one. I'm really considering because I love birds and have always wanted one.

·
Super Moderator
14,602 Posts
BEFORE you take on the commitment of a bird, do check out if you want to.
They will live up to 25 years and require a herd of attention from you. If they
do not get it, they can become unmanageable and abuse themselves by picking off
all their feathers. Do not go into this lightly - A child will leave before it does.
Birds can be very messy and their area requires daily cleaning. If you are one
prone to allergies, bird feathers and bird dust will aggrevate it at all times.

If I sound like I am putting a downer on this, I am. It is just one big commitment
that you must be ready for.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know they can live a very long time and are a big commitment. I was actually talking to a couple the other day at work who have a 24 year old cockatoo. I have thought about this for a while because I was actually offered a bird a few months ago but wanted to make sure we had the time and ability to care for one.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Didn't you just get another dog? Personally, I'd slow down a bit. You are still in school and working and training your new addition. Like gazar said, they require lots of attention. I learned my lesson when i had my two rats. I couldn't pay much attention to them with work and school and two dogs. I felt bad when they died because I could have given them a much better life than I did.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I've had a bird. What a mess. Love them but won't own another. It's a lot more work than a dog, especially a parrot. My aunt has one and loves it but it's a hassle and is always yelling lol. Like Steph said, you also just got a new dog and from how busy I see you are I'd highly recommend holding off until you're at least done school. Its not fair to the animals. Wait till you're out of school and settled into your ft job and your own place first :)

·
Registered
9,125 Posts
Keya is great at the store, he makes everyone laugh. At home he is a pain, he screeches when you leave a room or when you are eating. He makes a huge mess as he throws the food that he doesn't want on the floor. Sleeping in isn't really an option because he starts yapping around 7 am. I'm lucky to have other people at work to help clean his cage and the floor.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Bigger birds are a huge commitment. They are messy and live forever. My friends grandma had a parrot when I was growing up. Imagine how mad she was when we taught it some undesirable things to say. Seriously, just take the time to think it through before you get one. The biggest obstacle is their need for such a great amount of attention on a daily basis. They are fun to have around and often seem almost human.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had a Senegal Parrot for a year and he was great, I did my best and did my research, but still just got overwhelmed with cleaning. And it was hard for me to give him enough attention. He was over-bonded to me and having him out was very difficult because all he wanted to do was snuggle and 'be intimate', and if I didnt comply he screamed and bit. It was the daily cleaning of mess and feathers that eventually put me over the top though, it was way more than I imagined from such a small bird. They fling food and debris all over the place, bits of fruit pulp stuck to the walls and floor, feathers and down everywhere. Just not for me. I'll never have another bird tahts for sure.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Birds hate me with a passion. Ive been attacked by a Mockingbird 3, maybe 4 times LOL.

My sister has this Cockatoo of some sort, its huge, white with yellow under his wings. Freaking bird is a A-HOLE, excuse my french, big time, screams at me, flaps its wings, calls me "DOO DOO HEAD!!" stupid bird *starts mumbling* , yea so, birds just are my thing, good luck!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
BEFORE you take on the commitment of a bird, do check out if you want to.
They will live up to 25 years and require a herd of attention from you. If they
do not get it, they can become unmanageable and abuse themselves by picking off
all their feathers. Do not go into this lightly - A child will leave before it does.
Birds can be very messy and their area requires daily cleaning. If you are one
prone to allergies, bird feathers and bird dust will aggrevate it at all times.

If I sound like I am putting a downer on this, I am. It is just one big commitment
that you must be ready for Macaw per month cost do not miss it.
Any other parrot owners out there?
Now that I've made the switch to raw, I have to wonder if it's bad for my parrot to eat a pelleted diet? She eats a lot of different varieties of Zupreem, and she also gets fresh veggies and fruit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts