Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so my little brother brought over a pup he got from the local pound a few days ago ( he brought her over the same day he got her) and now Niketa is sick. She has watery stools and it smells off so Im freaking out. She still is eating, drinking and being her playful self, but Im stressed just for the fact that she dont have all her shots and the vet told me that in like the pit breed they have a harder time fighting off parvo. anyone have any info on this? could it just be something she ate?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
If she is fine other then just the runny stools, she probably just ate something, or her food isn't agreeing with her. Keep a close watch on her, make sure she is drinking lots. If she gets worse I would take her to the vet asap.

·
Registered
551 Posts
When I worked at the SPCA when dogs got this way we would get them to drink gatorade or pedialyte to help keep them hydrated.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Take a stool sample to your vet just to be sure.... many illnesses can cause these symptoms, and a few (such as Parvo and coccidea) need to be diagnosed and treated fast in pups as they can die very fast from dehydration.... definitely give your pup Pedialyte or Gatorade to keep her hydrated in the meantime. I would also suggest fasting her (take away her food) for the next 12 hours or so to see if her stool clears up. If it is from something she ate, it will help to let her clean out her system a bit..then start her back with some boiled chicken and rice, or chicken broth and rice..something real bland at first.add a spoonful of yogurt to get the good bacteria in her belly.

As far as APBT's specifically not handling Parvo well, breed has nothing to do with it. Any pup or non-vaccinated dog can die from the illness... young pups, unvaccinated dogs and pups, underweight dogs and pups will fair worse with it than dogs who are healthy from the start, etc. It's all about catching the illness as soon as possible and treating it immediately.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok I called her VET they are seeing her today at 2:15 and running all the tests. I hope its just something she ate. I would lose it if something happened to her.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
My babies have been sick, too. It scared the bejeezes out of me, since another foster home in our group has lost 4 pups in the last 2 weeks to parvo. Luckily, no parvo, but it was a NASTY little virus that made its way through the entire litter and the mom - diarreah, vomiting, lethargy, lack of appetite. It looked for all the world like parvo, but they bounced back after a few days. I fed them Science Diet AD (prescription diet, very bland), gave them NutriCal, and lots and lots of water. They lost about a quarter of their body weight (1 pound off a 4 pound pup is dramatic!). I thought I was going to lose them, so I know what you're feeling right now. They still have a little diarreah, but everything else is good now.

Hope all goes well, and your baby feels better soon! Let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. I will keep you updated...

Oh, a quick question, kinda gross thought. her stools are getting thicker and even taking shape, however I caught her eating it(*,), is that normal :?: :?: :?:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts