Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok
For the last week or so, Patch has lost his appetite!
i feed him before i go to work of a morning, and when i get home at like 6pm, his bowl is half full!
when i give him dinner, he sniffs around at it... then walks off!

I added some wet food to his kibble... and he does the same thing! He usually LOVES the wet food!
Usually, he gobbles whatever is in front of him, he's a guts!

He doesn't even delve into his meaty bones like he used to?

This morning when I gave him the home cooked pasta, vegetables, and lamb mince that he usually loves... he ate a little bit and then walked away! So I knew there was a problem!!!

What do you think is the problem??????

I'm worried!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Is it summer there? If so it could be the heat my dogs do not eat as much in the summer....If not get him to the vet........I had a dog get parvo when I was younger and that is how we knew he was sick..he would not eat anything

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, it's winter here.

he seems normal in every other way... like he is playing and acting his usual self
he's just not eating right!

what is pavo?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Parvo is a disease that affects dogs here is a link to help you out more.........It can be deadly but sometimes you can treat the side affects......I am hoping that I am wrong WHICH KEEP IN MIND THERE IS A HIGH POSSIBLITY THAT I AM WRONG!!!!!!!!! DONT PANIC!! Call your vet in the morninghttp://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am scared.

but Patch hasn't got diarrhea, he's not lethargic, and he hasn't got a high temperature....

i think i might call the vet when i get home from work and have another look at Patch's poo...

(it's 1:50pm in the afternoon here)

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I think he's just trying to take you for a ride!!! Heidi tries that crap with me all the time. I've gotten to the point that I only put a little food out and if she eats that, in a couple of minutes, she gets more. If she turns her nose to it, she gets nothing. I know that sounds harsh, but Heidi is really smart. She would have me driving to mc Donalds for her every morning if she could get away with it!

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much.

Mix a couple big spoons of plain yogurt in his food and he will eat it all up quick :wink: plus yogurt is great for their digestion + xtra protein, just don't get him hooked on it or he will only eat when you have the yogurt!

I did this for a bit with my guy, and when he got a lil older - I'd just take his food away from him....trust me they'll get hungry ;)

Pups normally eat faster when their food is a bit softer too. You could also try mixing in some canned food with his kibble, and adding a bit of water and stirring it up.

·
Registered
66 Posts

I agree. It sounds to me like your pup is playing a food game with you. Your post said that you leave the food out for what sounds like all day. Even if you are not one of us who believe in the 15 minute rule on leaving food out you may want to try it and see what happens. If they get hungry they will eat. You can always go back to the free feeding when the situation is resolved. Good luck and I hope your baby isn't sick.

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Usually when a dog won't even his favorite gooey stuff, I would be concerned. He could have gotten hold of something that has created a little blockage or distressed tummy. But if it has been going on for a week, it is time to get him checked out. No use waiting if it is something to take care of and if it is not then you at least have peace of mind.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, i got home last night, and his bowl was empty... i had given him the home-made pasta, lamb mince and vegies.

this morning... he snubbed his nose at the kibble again. he only ate the wet food i mixed in with it.

he's scoffing down all the treats though... and raw meat i give him.

i think he's just bored of the kibble.

i've never tried the yoghurt thing.... i will buy a tub on my way home tonight and give that a try!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Patch said:
well, i got home last night, and his bowl was empty... i had given him the home-made pasta, lamb mince and vegies.

this morning... he snubbed his nose at the kibble again. he only ate the wet food i mixed in with it.

i've never tried the yoghurt thing.... i will buy a tub on my way home tonight and give that a try!
Well I've got to say he's got you all figured out and you fell for his trick just like I have in the past so many times. Smart little buggers aren't they!

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Patch said:

Well, if he is pulling tricks on you, the theory is to put his food bowl down for 15 - 20 minutes then pull it up. Do not put it down until it is feeding time again, usually once in the morning and once in the evening. If he eats, he eats, if he doesn't, he doesn't. When he gets hungry enough he will eat. You are training him to eat at a scheduled time and not free feed. If you feed him the soft stuff regularly it will make him gain wait and cause a lot of tarter on his teeth.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know if I can do it guys!!

When i feed him in the morning, he usually just prefers to spend those 20 mins he has with me while im having breakfast... and i do too.... and then i put him out so i can go to work.
so i can't really do that in the morning, cos then i won't see him at all!

I could do it in the evening... give him food outside, wait 15 mins before i take away the bowl and let him inside for the night... but wouldn't that be inconsistent if i don't do it in the morning?

I might need to make his food more interesting..... gosh, that kibble looks SO boring! (but he never had a problem when he was younger.. .he'd scoff it down in about 5 mins!)

and don't worry... i only give him about 2 tablespoons of the wet stuff on top of his kibble cos i know how bad it is for them etc etc. it's mainly there for decoration and to make him want to eat the food.

do you think i can safely exclude the possibility that he is sick?

i'm so paranoid... last night he did that inverted cough thing... and i though, oh my gosh, he's sick... he's choking... there's something caught in his system.

My husband thinks i'm over-reacting...
How often can i give him the yoghurt in his kibble?

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
I don't know if I can do it guys!!

When i feed him in the morning, he usually just prefers to spend those 20 mins he has with me while im having breakfast... and i do too.... and then i put him out so i can go to work.

You did give me a warm chuckle with this reply.
Know how you feel, but why can't you feed him in the house?
:D

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Patch said:
Try it in the morning, sacrafice those 20 min because it wont be an everyday thing. Once Kate learned that she has to eat her food right away, she finishes it in literally less then 2 min. So once he learns, you will have a more obedient, less picky dog and still be able to spend 18 min in the morning with him

I might need to make his food more interesting..... gosh, that kibble looks SO boring! (but he never had a problem when he was younger.. .he'd scoff it down in about 5 mins!)
Well I wouldnt want kibble either when I have learned that if I don't eat it I get something better!!

do you think i can safely exclude the possibility that he is sick?

i'm so paranoid... last night he did that inverted cough thing... and i though, oh my gosh, he's sick... he's choking... there's something caught in his system.
Yes, sounds like he is just using your softness for him. And that inverted cough is when he has allergies or something in his nose. He is perfectly fine. Just testing you.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
It sounds like you are probably ok.. I thought cause he was not eating his favorite stuff something must be wrong but it looks like I stand corrected......
.Anyways you are going to have to get thougher with this dog, I am not saying be mean to him.. But if you do become the Alpha you are asking for a world of trouble..I am not saying that he is going to turn into an evil beast, but he will become unruley(sp?) And the last thing you need is a powerful dog that thinks they are boss.....Of course love your dog, I do love mine they are rotten, but I am also in control...I am not saying that you have done anything wrong that is causing him not to eat, but I am saying that I have read your posts and it sounds to me like you are too much of a push over... I know it is hard to look into those huge baby browns and say "No". But he has been getting away with stuff for a while now and it is just the 1st offense in a long line of boycotts, protests, and overthrows.... I am not saying that Patches is going to be a mean dog but I am saying he needs you to be more firm......Trust me he will respect you more for it

·
Registered
775 Posts
Patch said:
Ok
For the last week or so, Patch has lost his appetite!
i feed him before i go to work of a morning, and when i get home at like 6pm, his bowl is half full!
when i give him dinner, he sniffs around at it... then walks off!

I added some wet food to his kibble... and he does the same thing! He usually LOVES the wet food!
Usually, he gobbles whatever is in front of him, he's a guts!

He doesn't even delve into his meaty bones like he used to?

This morning when I gave him the home cooked pasta, vegetables, and lamb mince that he usually loves... he ate a little bit and then walked away! So I knew there was a problem!!!

What do you think is the problem??????

I'm worried!
make him some satin balls....

·
Registered
704 Posts
Once a dog realizes that they need to eat when you want them to..that they only have a certain amount of time right then..they will eat it all gone in less than a minute or two. It may take up to a week for him to get the picture, but I promise you, no dog will starve themselves. Put the dish down 2 times a day (AM/PM) allow 5-10 minutes to eat..if he doesn't, pick it up and don't offer it until the next feeding. Again..he may go a few days without eating..do not be alarmed, this will not hurt him. Dogs are different than humans..in the wild they may go a few days between meals, and then gorge when they finally get one...in fact, I fast my dogs one day a week..it's good to clean out thier systemes.

Do not feed wet food or lots of treats with his food..this only encourages finicky behavior. Plus, wet food, etc. is like candy for dogs..it would be like someone feeding thier child McDonalds for every meal, so I only offer wet food and treats occassionaly and not part of the meal. Yogurt is fine..you can put a spoonful in with the food one time daily if you wish..or just offer him some off the spoon once a day as a treat.

It's important to stick with the routine. Toughen up and just go with it. Once he learns it you both will be happier..plus, he will respect you more once you are in control of his food.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've tried the yoghurt thing and it's working!
he LOVES it and laps up every meal in record time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts