Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took patch to see his friend "Digga" on saturday (my friends Kelpie).

They played all day to the point of exhaustion... they swam, Patch humped him all day (which is a bit of a worry cos they're both neutered males)... and they were really cute together.

We got home, i gave Patch a bath and he slept all night.
i figured he was just exhausted.

Yesterday, i noticed he was limping! i think he may have strained his back right leg.

He is eating normally.. and his poos are normal...
but i thought if he's in a bit of pain i will give him something for it
so i gave him some dog anti-inflammatory medicine.

he was sleepy all night and even this morning
he just isn't 100%! he'snot jumping up on us, he is constantly tired

im so worried about him

my husband gets home at 4pm today and he's going to take him to the vet.

do you think he could be severely hurt? or sick?

im SO worried!

someone on another thread told me to be careful of the birds that are eating from Patch's bowl.... cos they carry diseases
do you think he could have caught something off the birds!

im SO scared!

·
Registered
116 Posts
after a day of playing hard, janie limps too...

i freaked out he first time.."we have to take her to the vet!"

but she worked it out.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to panic and rush him to the vet. Could very well be something that will correct itself with a few days rest. Last sunday when we came home from training, Rosco could barely walk...he was hobbling around like an old man...lol. Must have twisted or pulled something during training (I think I know when it happened). I let him take it easy for a few days and by Wednesday he was pretty much back to normal. When dogs play they like to run and chase eachother. They like to go fast, then stop real quick and change direction to try and deke eachother out. Those sudden stops and quick turns can be a killer.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lisa said:
I wouldn't be so quick to panic and rush him to the vet. Could very well be something that will correct itself with a few days rest. Last sunday when we came home from training, Rosco could barely walk...he was hobbling around like an old man...lol. Must have twisted or pulled something during training (I think I know when it happened). I let him take it easy for a few days and by Wednesday he was pretty much back to normal. When dogs play they like to run and chase eachother. They like to go fast, then stop real quick and change direction to try and deke eachother out. Those sudden stops and quick turns can be a killer.
Yes, we watched them play and they were running back and forth and stopping and jerking quite quickly.

I will upload some photos from my phone when i get a chance... they were so cute together.

Even though I felt sorry for Digga beause he was trying to escape Patch and his constant Pumping..... how embarrassing.

Thanks for all your comments... honestly i think i needed to hear from someone that this is normal.

I didn't sleep at all last night.... He just breaks my heart.

He is usually so hyperactive and even though it frustrates me, i wish i could have Hypo Patch back at times like this... just so i know he's ok.

The fact that he's eating ok and pooing ok is good though isn't it?

I felt SO bad for him last night that i made him a nice meal.... Mince and pasta and vegies.... with gravy.
my husband complained because he got left overs from Saturday night, and the dog got a fresh meal!
haha

oh dear... i hope he gets better.

Should we wait til tomorrow and if he's still the same then take him to the vet?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
It that the 1st time that he has played like that? If it is or one of the 1st few then I would say that he is just tired. One of my friends has a PB puppy that she plays with and after a long day she is tired for a few days. Really I doubt that he is ill. Also he could be going through a growing spirt, as I learned recently they drag a little. Tora just recently hit a big one and she was even yelping from growing pains :shock: If he stop eating, gets a fever, or poo differently then I would go to the Vet but I would give him a couple of days but keep a very tight eye on him.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
angie7349 said:
It that the 1st time that he has played like that? If it is or one of the 1st few then I would say that he is just tired. One of my friends has a PB puppy that she plays with and after a long day she is tired for a few days. Really I doubt that he is ill. Also he could be going through a growing spirt, as I learned recently they drag a little. Tora just recently hit a big one and she was even yelping from growing pains :shock: If he stop eating, gets a fever, or poo differently then I would go to the Vet but I would give him a couple of days but keep a very tight eye on him.
He has played with other dogs many times before, but never for such a long period of time - they were together for about 4 hours... but that included rest times where they both slept near each other, and treat time where they both ate their pigs feet together. The rest of the time they were full on.

But he was definately worn out.

Could the car harness have hurt him?
He keeps getting tangled in it... perhaps it strained his leg.

OK, i will see how he goes tonight and if he's still bad tomorrow, i'm taking him to the vet.

I'll keep a close eye on him.

I hate when he is sick!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Not sure if you realize this or not, but the humping is not sexual. (You can breathe a sigh of relief now :) ). Humping is a sign of dominance and I'd be a little more concerned about that, than Patch being gay :p . Just be careful, that type of behaviour between males can often escalate, and quickly at that. Don't want any dogs or people getting hurt.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lisa said:
Not sure if you realize this or not, but the humping is not sexual. (You can breathe a sigh of relief now :) ). Humping is a sign of dominance and I'd be a little more concerned about that, than Patch being gay :p . Just be careful, that type of behaviour between males can often escalate, and quickly at that. Don't want any dogs or people getting hurt.
Really? Here I am thinking Patch isn't aware that he is Nut-less.....
And if he was gay i wouldn't care, because i would love him no matter what his sexual preference is..... and as George Costanza would say "not that there's anything wrong with it!" :lol:

All jokes aside, this dominance thing is worrying me..... Digga, the poor thing, didn't seem to mind a bit... and at times would lay on his back in submissive mode, while patch sat on top of him.

I have noticed that at dog training Patch tends to hump some of the other dogs... especially his girlfriend Sushi (the 5 month old labrador he is currently dating).
we just laugh it off.... but i really don't like the sound of this now. i'm going to have to be a little more careful.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Patch said:
angie7349 said:
He has played with other dogs many times before, but never for such a long period of time - they were together for about 4 hours... but that included rest times where they both slept near each other, and treat time where they both ate their pigs feet together. The rest of the time they were full on.

OK, i will see how he goes tonight and if he's still bad tomorrow, i'm taking him to the vet.

I hate when he is sick!
He is most likely just really tired........it could last a couple of days . How badly does he get tangled does he cry (in pain).....Dont forgot dogs are not stupid!!! If you fawn over him he will put on a show, both of mine do it.......I have full on caught Dober playing after a sick spell then when he noticed that I was watching drop and look pitiful. Tora realized that he was acting pitiful and get all the attention so I look over adn she starts too! Brats!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
angie7349 said:
Patch said:
angie7349 said:

I hate when he is sick!
He is most likely just really tired........it could last a couple of days . How badly does he get tangled does he cry (in pain).....Dont forgot dogs are not stupid!!! If you fawn over him he will put on a show, both of mine do it.......I have full on caught Dober playing after a sick spell then when he noticed that I was watching drop and look pitiful. Tora realized that he was acting pitiful and get all the attention so I look over adn she starts too! Brats!!
Well the other night we drove about half an hour to pick up my husband and i had to pull over about 3 times to de-tangle the harness (which wasn't THAT badly tangled) because he was barking and whinging it was hurting my ears!

sometimes though, when he's not tangled he will still whinge about it.... and i just ignore it... he stops after a while.
he HATES being harnessed!

but he yelped at one point when one of his legs was wrapped around the seat belt (cos he keeps trying to run across the back seat even though he's harness in!)....

i don't doubt that he would act it up at times though... that's why i try to ignore him

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
If his leg got tangled up in the seat belt it could have torn something in the leg. If he is still limping at all tomorrow, I'd take and have him checked out.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Kate fell off the dock once into the shallow water, the next 3 days she would limp when she would get up and then at the beginning of walks. Eventaully she got better. She had just pulled something.

So I would give it a few days and stay easy on his walks and exercise

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well i am pleased to say that we got home yesterday and things looked like they had gotten back to normal! Thank goodness!
he's still not 100%, but MUCH better than Sunday! He's no longer limping.

He had gotten my underpants off the washing line and had put them in his kennel.... so I guess you can say cheeky little Patch is back!

I'd rather the cheeky Patch than the tired little Patch though.

We're going to my parent's for dinner tonight, so I will make sure my nieces and nephew don't chase him around as much (as they usually do - it's SO cute) in case he is still mending (although, on his walk this morning he was running like a maniac through the park.... he just won't learn!)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: i wouldnt let a bird eat out of dish

BRQZ33 said:
birds carry parvo
well i dont want them to either

this morning i put his food bowl in the portable kennel i had packed away... out of reach from the birds
i went outside a few mins later and patch had overturned the whole thing and made a mess!
so that didn't work!

what else can i do to stop this?

·
Registered
719 Posts
...attach a bucket to the wall of the kennel...use a large eye (in the wall) and attach the bucket (dog bucket with handle, or a horse bucket)...

...that way he can't dump it...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
You could also lower his food intake, or feed him smaller meals. I used to fill up bowls, and let them set out all day, plus put in more when they were empty. Free feed, so it's called. Anyway, I can't tell you how much food got wasted due to being dumped, getting wet, etc. Now they all eat once a day (the cats still get plenty at all times :roll: ), and it's gone within 5 minutes. 8) Nothing gets wasted anymore.

·
Registered
277 Posts
On Saturday we played football with Lincoln, brought him for a walk and let him play at the beach with his Rotty friend, Eddie.
He was Sooooo tired, when we got home from the beach, we both had a 3 hour nap and he was tired the entire next day as well. No energy and didn't jump on us or follow us at all. He also limps when he gets a lot of excercise. I honestly think he exagerates it when he thinks we'll make him go for a walk or something he doesn't want to do.. Hes kind of dramatic ;) I wouldnt worry much about it...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts