Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We thought Patch was house trained. We now leave the door open so that when he needs to relieve himself, he is free to go outside. We usually have to remind him by saying "Patch, go for a wee?" and he gets up and heads towards the door.
Last night, he had just come in and i was cooking dinner and things were awfully quiet... he's usually running around my food and licking me when im cooking.. so i left the kitchen and went into the living room and he was crouched in the middle of a pee - ON MY RUG!
I did the usual rub his nose in it and locked him outside for 5 minutes... he SO knew he did a bad thing because he was scared and hid under the table.

It was so shocked because it was so out of the blue....

Is this normal? Was he craving attention? what do you think?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Puppies could have accidents up to a year old or longer. They're bladders are not that strong, and they forget the rules easily. I don't suggest rubbing his nose in the pee. That will make him nervous about going in front of you and then you'll have problems getting him to go when you want to go. Also, lots of dogs that are taught this way take it to mean that peeing is bad altogether and you'll have major problems with them going when they should. A firm "NO" and placing him outside is sufficient while they're still learning. Then praise him when goes outside like a good boy. When teaching them things they're not born knowing, rewarding good behavior works much better than punishing incorrect behavior.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Beetle.
that's very good advice
we DO reward him EVERY time he goes outside for a pee (the neighbours must think i'm nuts!)
i fuss over him like nothing else!

ok - well i'm glad its normal for them to forget the rules... i was worried he was going backwards, cos we'd done SO well with him so far.

Puppy pre-school starts Sunday week!!!! can't wait!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.