Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
patch showed his first major sign of dog aggression today and i am really worried.

on our daily walks, we walk past a house on a corner, and there is a white fluffy dog (i think maltese terrior) that goes agro EVERY time we walk past... he tries to attack patch under the fence.
this dog charges so hard at the fence that his head and half his body ends up under the fence.
and he's snapping his jaws to try to get at Patch.

At first Patch's tail was wagging, until he realised this dog meant business, and so now he's started the stiff-tail attack mode body language... to prevent a negative scenario i now walk right near the road away from the fence and tell Patch "No" every time he starts barking at this dog.

I just spoke to my husband who is home from work today and he told me that on their walk today Patch had taken a chunk of fur out of this maltese terrior!!!!!!!

i got so upset with him, and we're having a "talk" when i get home from work tonight..... i am so angry he allowed this to happen.

he thinks it's ok, and that it's normal dog behaviour, but i don't want Patch being aggressive toward any dog!!!!!!!!

I have to stop my husband from encouraging this before serious damage is done.

what is it with you men?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Some men seem have a little of this in the back of their heads, me too sometimes. :dontknow:

I use to walk my past big dogs near homes with 2 or more little pooches, they would get so excited, the would start squabling with each other. My past dogs KNEW they were dominate and other dogs didn't bother them. But I never let mine take a chunk out of another dog.

·
Registered
136 Posts
SWF (small white fluffies) are a pain in the bum around here. It was one of those that crept up on Storm and started the last fight (luckily Storm was on lead and couldn't be blamed).

I use a prong on Storm and what we work on is when we pass a house that has a dog she really hates and tries to go in for an attack I pop her prong. A few small sharp pops in a row and she realises that going for the dog isn't worth it. A....I'm not letting go of the lead, B... the prong causes her annoyances not reward and C... she's rewarded with praise from me when she doesn't react. It takes time but it is working.

I'd definitely keep Patch as far as possible from the SWF, the one that started with Storm ended up with vet bills of $650 after only a minute or 2 of fighting. Bull breeds can cause a lot of damage quickly, and it's not nice having to seperate a screaming dog from your dogs mouth. Now you know that Patch may have a taste for it (IT being something you see in a lot of bull and terrier breeds the wanting to go for it to the end) be extra careful when out. Always make sure Patch is on his lead, start working on ignoring other dogs and keep him safe.

Another thing maybe report this dog to council, if it's fencing isn't containing it properly and it's provoking other dogs council should do something about it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stormy said:
SWF (small white fluffies) are a pain in the bum around here. It was one of those that crept up on Storm and started the last fight (luckily Storm was on lead and couldn't be blamed).

I use a prong on Storm and what we work on is when we pass a house that has a dog she really hates and tries to go in for an attack I pop her prong. A few small sharp pops in a row and she realises that going for the dog isn't worth it. A....I'm not letting go of the lead, B... the prong causes her annoyances not reward and C... she's rewarded with praise from me when she doesn't react. It takes time but it is working.

I'd definitely keep Patch as far as possible from the SWF, the one that started with Storm ended up with vet bills of $650 after only a minute or 2 of fighting. Bull breeds can cause a lot of damage quickly, and it's not nice having to seperate a screaming dog from your dogs mouth. Now you know that Patch may have a taste for it (IT being something you see in a lot of bull and terrier breeds the wanting to go for it to the end) be extra careful when out. Always make sure Patch is on his lead, start working on ignoring other dogs and keep him safe.

Another thing maybe report this dog to council, if it's fencing isn't containing it properly and it's provoking other dogs council should do something about it.
I am not blaming this incident on Patch in any way.

I blame this on my husband.

He said that on their way past the house, he kept a tight lead and realised the SWF wasn't there.
On his way back, he ASSUMED the dog wasn't there and in about 2 seconds Patch had pulled so hard on the lead and had gotten to the SWF... who had re-appeared!

I asked Darren (the husband) what he did after the incident, and he said he did nothing, he just kept walking.

I reckon he probably would've said "good boy" or something.... we have MAJOR issues about raising this dog.
He thinks i mother Patch too much and should let him be a dog... and I think he is encouraging aggression.

Like if Patch barks at someone who comes to our door (usually door knockers, etc) I get angry and say "No"... whereas Darren thinks it's a good sign that Patch is being a GUARD DOG and encourages it.

The husband reckons the SWF was aggressive towards him, and what do we expect.. Patch to ignore it? Of course he's going to fight back.

But i still think we should reprimand him for this behaviour - whether he is provoked or not!

My gosh, can you imagine how many fights we're going to have when we have kids!!! if we can't even agree on how to raise our dog!

·
Banned
205 Posts
I'm with your husband Darren on this and any other issue that comes up with Patch. He seems to know what he's talking about. And God bless him for putting up with you! :D

-- mr c

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mr c said:
I'm with your husband Darren on this and any other issue that comes up with Patch. He seems to know what he's talking about. And God bless him for putting up with you! :D

-- mr c
Oh thanks a lot Mr C!!!!!!

gees!!!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
mr c said:

-- mr c
Thats harsh!!!!! :eek:

But I know what your saying....anytime my dogs show aggresion its like the coolest thing ever according to my boyfriend :roll:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pit_bull_lover said:
mr c said:

-- mr c

But I know what your saying....anytime my dogs show aggresion its like the coolest thing ever according to my boyfriend :roll:
it's a male thing i think!

i hate when he does it though, because i want patch to be a placid little boy, and Darren wants him to be a guard-dog!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
men..

Anywho, don't allow your husband to let Patch that close to the little dog he could end up grabbing the little bits face or something and then you guys will get in trouble. Not to mention it will be on the news and they'll call patch a pit bull. There was this little dog that came in once who stuck his head through the fence and got grabbed by a passing shephard. He ended up losing his entire lower jaw. I would also have a word with the small dog's owner. They need to put something at the bottom of their fence because if it's head can squeez through theres a good chance his whole body can.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PitBullRoyalty said:
men..

Anywho, don't allow your husband to let Patch that close to the little dog he could end up grabbing the little bits face or something and then you guys will get in trouble. Not to mention it will be on the news and they'll call patch a pit bull. There was this little dog that came in once who stuck his head through the fence and got grabbed by a passing shephard. He ended up losing his entire lower jaw. I would also have a word with the small dog's owner. They need to put something at the bottom of their fence because if it's head can squeez through theres a good chance his whole body can.
Patch is quite little, i'm positive they won't call him a pitbull. he looks nothing like one either.
but i know what you mean... it's pretty dangerous them letting his head come under the fence.
and i know we shouldn't let patch that close to the little dog.......... but my husband is thick.

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
:-# sorry this happened to your dog maby your old man needs a boot in the A$$ before you guy's make the paper and help B.S.L in you area ! :wink:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ALPHAMALE said:
:-# sorry this happened to your dog maby your old man needs a boot in the A$$ before you guy's make the paper and help B.S.L in you area ! :wink:
english staffy's and staffy crosses aren't restricted here.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That's actually a question being asked Patch. Our law states pitbulls and when you look at what dogs are classed as pitbulls it's the APBT, Amstaffs and Staffies.

If the government decides to get nasty, we could find our dogs easily included. As long as Patch is on his lead and the other dog is outside and off lead of his yard legally council can't touch you.

The stupid people who's dog fought Storm still let it wander around outside offlead. I walked past the other day with Storm, and the dog had enough sense not to run at her but stay on it's driveway this time.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stormy said:
That's actually a question being asked Patch. Our law states pitbulls and when you look at what dogs are classed as pitbulls it's the APBT, Amstaffs and Staffies.

If the government decides to get nasty, we could find our dogs easily included. As long as Patch is on his lead and the other dog is outside and off lead of his yard legally council can't touch you.

The stupid people who's dog fought Storm still let it wander around outside offlead. I walked past the other day with Storm, and the dog had enough sense not to run at her but stay on it's driveway this time.
Sorry, the lawyer in me has come out again.
With respect, Staffordshire Bull Terriors are NOT restricted breeds under the legislation.
The following types of dog are regarded as “Restricted breeds of Dog” for the purpose of the Companion Animals Act 1998 (the Act):

Pit Bull Terriers
American Pit Bull Terriers
Japanese Tozas
Argentinean Fighting Dog
Brazilian Fighting Dog

As far as I am aware, Staffordshire Bull Terriors are one of the most common dogs as pets in Australia... it's up there with the Labrador.

There are no restrictions on the breed yet.

But I understand what you are saying... some people do classify the SBT with the pitbull.

You know, from what i have seen... going on walks through the streets, and especially at dog training school... is that the staffy's are the placid and tame dogs.... the viscious ones i have come across are the SWF's (small white fluffies) and dogs like golden retrievers and huskies!

Last night, I couldn't believe my eyes... i was on a walk with Patch and we walked past a house and there was a husky on the roof of a garden shed and he was leaning over the fence! this dog was HUGE and he was barking so deeply i thought he was going to jump off in front of us and attack either myself or patch!!!!!
I am going to drive past the house tonight and get the number of the house so that I can report them.
it is SO wrong!

·
Registered
136 Posts
No they're not restricted ...yet.

You've mentioned pitbulls are, in many places where Australia copies it's BSL from pitbulls include SBT.

You should take a look at dogz online, there's a special BSL section and a thread currently going about this topic.

A golden retriever should not be aggressive, to see one either means a very bad owner or a breeder who should be banned. I have heard of a breeder that continued to use a stud dog they knew was aggressive thus creating future aggressive retrievers, not something you should see. Sams the poster dog for goldies, even all the vets comment on his lovely nature, he's what a true goldy should be like.

Storms the first truly dog aggressive dog I've ever known, so different with people it's hard to believe she's the same dog.

The husky near me use to pick on Sam until he grew bigger then her, she then tried it on Storm before realising Storm would love a fight. She waits for smaller, weaker dogs to go past and makes her move then.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stormy said:
No they're not restricted ...yet.

You've mentioned pitbulls are, in many places where Australia copies it's BSL from pitbulls include SBT.

You should take a look at dogz online, there's a special BSL section and a thread currently going about this topic.

A golden retriever should not be aggressive, to see one either means a very bad owner or a breeder who should be banned. I have heard of a breeder that continued to use a stud dog they knew was aggressive thus creating future aggressive retrievers, not something you should see. Sams the poster dog for goldies, even all the vets comment on his lovely nature, he's what a true goldy should be like.

Storms the first truly dog aggressive dog I've ever known, so different with people it's hard to believe she's the same dog.

The husky near me use to pick on Sam until he grew bigger then her, she then tried it on Storm before realising Storm would love a fight. She waits for smaller, weaker dogs to go past and makes her move then.
I know golden retrievers shouldn't be aggressive... but believe me i've seen MANY that are.
They are actually in the top 5 dog attacks in australia... hard to believe.

This husky you're talking about.... maybe it's like the husky that scared us the other day. Patch is so little... so maybe she/he thought "hey, there's a little dog i can torment!"

i'll read up a little more about BSL on dogz online.. thanks for that.

are staffy crosses included in this?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That site is a bit discriminatory.... mainly for pure breeds.

But i posted anyway.

I think the main problem is that the legislation doesn't define the Pitbull Terrier
So no one really knows if SBT's are within that classification.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Patch they don't discriminate. The site was set up for pure breed dogs but many people on there have x breeds. In fact many of the people on there work tirelessly at rescuing all sorts of breeds and crosses from the pound. I just helped them with a dane x.

The girl that answered you, has helped me immensely with information on getting K off the BSL hook.

Anyone is welcome on the site but what these people do hate are people who push for x breeding such as all the doodles out there. Most of these dogs come from extremely cruel conditions in puppy farms, brought because they look cute as pups then dumped as dreadlocked terrors in the pounds to be pts when the owners don't want them anymore. It's all about money, the site tries to educate people about how buying a purebred pup, that has a history of parentage and temperment, all it's health checks done and knowing the breeder has taken out any breeding stock which may have had genetic conditions it is cheaper then buying an unknown x breed that may have numerous health problems and it's mother has more then likely become a brood cow.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Patch said:
pit_bull_lover said:
mr c said:

-- mr c

it's a male thing i think!

i hate when he does it though, because i want patch to be a placid little boy, and Darren wants him to be a guard-dog!
Oh yeah, it's so cool to get sued and have your dog put down and get in to all sorts of trouble. That's so cool. How can some people be so blind?? Ugh.... :roll:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stormy said:
Patch they don't discriminate. The site was set up for pure breed dogs but many people on there have x breeds. In fact many of the people on there work tirelessly at rescuing all sorts of breeds and crosses from the pound. I just helped them with a dane x.

The girl that answered you, has helped me immensely with information on getting K off the BSL hook.

Anyone is welcome on the site but what these people do hate are people who push for x breeding such as all the doodles out there. Most of these dogs come from extremely cruel conditions in puppy farms, brought because they look cute as pups then dumped as dreadlocked terrors in the pounds to be pts when the owners don't want them anymore. It's all about money, the site tries to educate people about how buying a purebred pup, that has a history of parentage and temperment, all it's health checks done and knowing the breeder has taken out any breeding stock which may have had genetic conditions it is cheaper then buying an unknown x breed that may have numerous health problems and it's mother has more then likely become a brood cow.
oh no i didn't mean it in that way... they're entitled to be a full breed site.
and i do understand the opposition to things like labradoodles etc...

only now do i understand that it's important to get a full breed with papers.
unfortunately we bought patch on the spur of the moment... with no papers... and from a pet store (i know i know!!!)
we love him regardless, and would never give him up!!!!!
but next dog will be from a registered breeder for sure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.