Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my baby to a dog day care yesterday for an assessment. We are going out of town for a couple nights and this place has cageless boarding, so we chose to go with it. Anyway, they said Zelda played all day and had a great time. When I arrived at the place to pick her up, of course she was just out of it. She was so tired. As soon as we got home she went to sleep (7:00pm) and didn't get up until 8:00am today. When I tried to get her up to go outside I noticed she was almost walking on her tip toes (back feet). When I inspected her paws, I saw that on the left paw, the big pad was entirely hanging out. It wasn't bleeding though. Her right one wasn't as bad, but she did have some of the pad off on that one too. Of course I took her to the vet, and I also called the place. They said that it does happen to those dogs that don't get out that much. That their pads are so soft and running on the vulcanized rubber floors they had most likely was the problem. Has anyone ever had this happen to there dogs in any given situation? How do I treat this? How to I help her when I know it has to be painful. I feel horrible like she hates me for taking her there. I wonder if she'll want to go back. :cry:

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
The EXACT same thing happened to my Magnum when I took her to doggy daycare the first day. They said she had "raw paw" and that it would go away ---- well it didn't and it go so bad that she eventually ended up with puss filled blisters all over her pads and in between her toes!! She was bleeding every time she took a step and it was AWEFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She had to go on antibiotics and was in pain when she walked for a couple weeks. Now I don't know that your dog will have the same problem with the infection - but it is definately something to watch out for. I have found, after doing more research on the doggydaycare thing, that they really do let them run around a little too much - its too hard on their pads esp if they are used to being in a kennel all day and only taking regular walks ----- so if you continue to send her to the daycare I would ask them to make sure she has more "down time" in a kennel throughout the day so she isnt running ALL the time and can gradually adjust to it ---- i would hate fo ryou to go through what i went through with Mag's paws ---- this happened in the winter and I had to carry her around (my 40lb dog) because the snow was excruciating on her feet!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can sympathize. My girl is 80lbs. I had to carry her to the car this morning. I'm only 4'11" and 110lbs. My back hurts. I can't believe that all that happened. I did take her to the vet and they called a little while ago to say that they are putting her on antibiotics just in case and some pain medicine. I'm suppose to give her epson salt baths when I can. And I have to put neosporin on them. I feel horrible.

Did you ever take your dog back to that place or any other place?

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
No I didn't - the entire experience totally freaked me out about taking her to any of those places. The place i took her had AWESOME word of mouth and a lot of my friends take their dogs there with no problems - but i can't risk Magnum's health like that! Plus it was SUPER expensive for all her treatments and stuff - it took 4 motnhs for the entire infection to go away. If i ever do anything even remotely like it again it will probably be someone who does it at their house with a couple dogs or just a general dog walker to come in to take her out every day --- when she does have to be kenneled while im out of town i take her to a place where they jsut get a couple 1/2 playtimes throughout the day and its not all day running around, they are more careful with them. I wouldn't send her back - but that is just my 2 cents! :D

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. Zelda is still sick. She just doesn't want to move and hasn't eaten or drank anything since the morning I dropped her off (Wednesday). If she doesn't eat or drink anything by tonight I'm taking her back to the vet to get an IV. I think I will probably have a dog walker come three times a day to the house while we're gone. I know she had fun at that place, but it probably was a shock to her body since she's never played like that before. Does Magnum stay in a crate while your at work?

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Yeah Magnum has a tendency to get into things, she's not really a chewer, she just loves to get into garbage and open cabinets and stuff so she is ALWAYS crated when I am gone, even if it for only like 10 minutes. I hear too many horror stories about dogs getting into things and choking or poisoning themselves while their owners are gone so I don't want to take any chances with Mags. She has been crated since the day I got her at 8 weeks, she is 2.5 years now , she doesn't love the crate but she doesn't really fight it either - just barks when you first put her in there. BUt after 10 hours of crate time while Im at work every day - she needs lots of love and attention when I get home - sometimes I go home at lunch and let her out - but she can hold it for the 10 hours so Im not really worried about that ---- if I had the cash I would pay a dog walker to come every day but I dont have the $ right now :( As far as Zelda not moving, eating, drinking etc ---- Mags did the smae thing - the first three days after she got back from her daycare experience she was SOOOOO wiped out and her paws hurt so bad that she would rather lay around and not move even if it meant not eatting or drinking --- you can give Zelda some Aspirin --- that will help with the paw pain and I ended up bringing the water bowl right over to her and kinda sticking her snout into it to make her drink which did eventually work ---- Mags also had her ACL repaired a couple months ago and she didnt eat or drink for 4 days - the vet said that at 5 days with no water you gotta watch for dehydration and bring them in for an IV - so if Zelda doesnt start drinking soon I would recommend going in for one. I hope she feels better --- Mags sends some kisses her way!!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh my gosh, what happened to Magnum's ACL? :cry: She's doing better I hope?

Gosh, I really hope she doesn't hate me after this. I feel guilty. I should've started her out with maybe a half-a-day. I don't have the money for a dog walker either, but I would hate for her to be in a crate really the entire two days while I gone. But she's a chewer... when she's feeling good. It's weird because she loves her crate. She runs in there everytime she knows we're leaving. I can't even put a crate pad, towel, blanket, or anything in her crate. When I get home it's in shreds. Vet said she's bored and urges us to see a bahavioralist. Hmm? She'll be 14 months on the 23rd and I'm hoping she grows out of it soon.

I have moved her water and food into my bedroom, where she feels the most secure. But no luck so far!

Thanks for all your help and support. I have to take her back to the vet for a check-up tomorrow morning. Hopefully she's doing a little better by then. The inside of her jaws are looking on the whiteist side. Not bright pink like they usually are.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
ZeldasMom said:
But she's a chewer... when she's feeling good. It's weird because she loves her crate. She runs in there everytime she knows we're leaving. I can't even put a crate pad, towel, blanket, or anything in her crate. When I get home it's in shreds. Vet said she's bored and urges us to see a bahavioralist. Hmm? She'll be 14 months on the 23rd and I'm hoping she grows out of it soon.
No need for a behaviorish!!! Just sounds like shes bored! Wouldnt you be too? lol i know I would! but heres some suggestions:

a lot of people put treats or peanut butter in kongs when their dogs are in crates. It's so easy for them to get bored in there. I once read that a dog cant tell time... there is no difference between one hour and three. But still, an hour alone, id get bored!!! but Kate's allergic to peanut butter so I just put her nylabone in there for her

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I said too... it's pure boredom. Zelda is like Kate, allergic to PB. I tried putting a kong with her food in it, because that's the only thing she's allowed to eat (that's boring in itself), but she gets it out too quick. Seriously, like before I even walk out of the door. :D I haven't tried the black kong yet, but I don't know what I can put in it that's ok for her to have. I'm glad the Nylabone works for Kate, but Zelda had one and she pooped out little drops of blood for days and threw up little drops of blood a couple times a day for two days. The Nylabone was all she had (besides her food), so we thought that was the contributing factor. I don't know. I know she's bored though and I'm not spending my money on a behaviorialist. Thanks for the advice and I completely agree with you.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
hmmmm thats odd abot the drug... cause Kate... it's taken her 3 months to even chew down the top knobby thingy so i know shes not eating it like raw hides!

Well I hope you can find something that will work for her

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh no, she doesn't eat the entire thing. But she is such an aggressive chewer that she's biting off chips of the Nylabone and swallowing it. The vet said she believes it is cutting the inside of her stomach, as well as her throat. She has serious digestive problems and the vet thinks she can't digest them like most dogs could. She does love her one bone we got her... I can't remember the name, but their like real bone and it takes a dog forever to chew them down. Geez... what is the name? She loves them though, but I guess it's not enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts