Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nala's stitches are in the middle of her abdomen, not low in the pelvis like Heaven's was at 6mos. So she has just realized that she can reach them quite easily. She just started licking them. And won't stop! What should I do?? Is she going to need a cone thingy?

Also, I know you're not supposed to bathe them with stitches, but she was filthy and stinky, and all that dirt couldn't be much better for her incision. I'm doing my best to keep that area clean and dry. I saw a flea on her yesterday. I have never had an animal with fleas before... so I gave her a good scrub. I only saw one, and it is gone now. I wonder if the flea bit her incision and it's making her itch now? What if she pulls the stitches out? It's been less than 72 hours since her spay.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
We had to use a cone on Deuce, but he got it half off while we were gone and when I got home it was dragging under him. We then realized that he couldn't reach the incision anyway, so we took it off. He is to chunky (working on that). But, he didn't have stitches on the outside. I would go for the e-collar just to be safe. If she gets them out it will take even longer for her to recover. Maybe if you give her a bath you could tape some gauze over it or something to try and keep it dry.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
She's probably licking because the incision can itch as it heals. If she will not stop licking you'll have to get her a cone. you may be able to get one from your vet, or you can buy them an bigger pet stores like Petco.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Re: question about pediatric spay stitches

LuvaBULL said:
Nala's stitches are in the middle of her abdomen, not low in the pelvis like Heaven's was at 6mos. So she has just realized that she can reach them quite easily. She just started licking them. And won't stop! What should I do?? Is she going to need a cone thingy?

Also, I know you're not supposed to bathe them with stitches, but she was filthy and stinky, and all that dirt couldn't be much better for her incision. I'm doing my best to keep that area clean and dry. I saw a flea on her yesterday. I have never had an animal with fleas before... so I gave her a good scrub. I only saw one, and it is gone now. I wonder if the flea bit her incision and it's making her itch now? What if she pulls the stitches out? It's been less than 72 hours since her spay.
I agree go get a cone. You dont want her pulling them out and dogs are gret at that. Scarlets was low in her pelvis too I wonder if it an age thing...scarlet was 15 months...wierd!

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Trina, Justice's incision is more in the center of her tummy than lower which I thought was weird. She didn't get stitches though. I would get a cone just to be safe. You don't want her to irritate the area any more than necessary.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Get the e-collar (elizabethan collar) asap. You can also apply some spray deodorant to the incision site in an effort to make it not very tasty if she does try & lick. But you do NOT want her messing with the incision & sutures & causing an infection from the constant licking.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! Will get her the collar tonight because I have to leave for work, and imagine if she pulled them out while I was away. :pale: Her incision still looks very fresh, like it would come apart very easily. And it's still a little swollen. Hang on... will be back with a picture.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
picture added

Well NOW that I went to take a picture, I noticed it has some drainage. Serosanguinous.. like watery blood. I am calling the vet right now.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Oh Trina, that doesn't look good at all. That looks like a very bad stitch job too. Shelby's was very tight - just like the pic of Bella's - and hers never leaked anything. Let us know what the vet says... :cry:

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
A little leakage is usually ok. You want to watch for actual bleeding or if the area become swollen or hot to the touch.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My poor baby. She had her spay done in Hickville Kentucky... I hope they did this right.

I called MY vet, and the tech said to just watch her tonight, put an e-collar on, and call first thing in the morning. At first she said to bring her right in, but then she realized they would be closing soon, so she said just to call in the morn. Grr.

She's licking up that drainage now. I can just see this is an infection waiting to happen. Pray for my little girl!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
My poor baby. She had her spay done in Hickville Kentucky... I hope they did this right.

I called MY vet, and the tech said to just watch her tonight, put an e-collar on, and call first thing in the morning. At first she said to bring her right in, but then she realized they would be closing soon, so she said just to call in the morn. Grr.

She's licking up that drainage now. I can just see this is an infection waiting to happen. Pray for my little girl!
Poor thing!!! I'm sure she'll be okay, but it sucks knowing she could be hurting and she can't tell you... :( She'll be in my prayers!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Oh my gosh...that looks so uncomfortable! Is that much swelling normal? Bella didn't have any swelling.
I don't know if it's normal, but Shelby's didn't look ANYTHING like that. Hers was identical to Bella's, same place and all.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Bremner53 said:
aww, poor baby :(

I hate the fact that they will spay so early. Its hard enough on a dog, never mind a little puppy :(
Well, with rescue situations, you kind of have to pick the lesser of two evils: spay a young pup before placing it or risk the chance of that pup getting pregnant and her pups having offspring and so on.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
While it doesn't look the best, it looks like an incision that been constantly licked & chewed on. :wink: It's not too late to "fix" the problem. Spray some deodorant (most dogs severely dislike the Secret Baby Powder formula) lightly on the incision & put the collar on her. Feel free to apply some triple AB ointment to incision area as well. If it doesn't seem to be getting any better in a few days after she's been unable to get at it, take her back into the vet. Also, be sure to limit her exercise & play. It's very common for active dogs to develop a sermoa (a collection of blood & other fluid that creates a "lump" under the incision) in the incision area.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts