Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We rescued Bella about 7 weeks ago. Bella is approx. 3-4 year old EB. We were told that her owner surrendered her due to jealousy issues with new babies. She then spent 4 months in a shelter, she was then adopted but brought back after a week, claiming their job situation changed. We expected some issues and are willing to work through these issues. She is so sweet and has an awesome personality. Our only problem is Bella p's when she feels we are not giving her attention or we leave her alone when she doesn't want to be alone. She is not peeing everyday so I'm not sure what exactly is going on. She doesn't p on a normal work day but will p when we go out for a couple of hours after spending all day at home. I make sure to take her outside to p before we leave, hoping she can't p if her bladder is empty but she must be saving some. This morning she p'd our bed because when she woke up we were downstairs and not available to her. Her weekend routine is to go outside to p when she first wakes up and then go for a walk a couple of hours later.

Hopefully, crating is not the only answer!!

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Until she is trained, crating is probably the best answer. But, I do understand your hesitancy to do this. First, have you had her medically checked? That is the first thing that needs to be ruled out.

Next, she has undergone some trauma with all the people changes in her life and she is
scared that you are going to leave her, also. If nothing is medically wrong, I think she is peeing out of fear. You will need to train her that you are coming back. That may
require you to act as if you are leaving, go outside for five minutes and them come back in. Keep doing this until she learns that you are coming back and not leaving her.

Also, a radio or tv left on helps them not to feel alone. You may also need to limit her
access to all the areas of the house until she gets over this. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
i agree with gazar. this dog has not had a normal routine in quite a while and has changed hands many times. first off i would get a routine down and stick to it if you havent already done so. next crating may need to happen until you can leave and she does not pp while you are gone. i do find it interesting that during a normal work day she does not do it but when the routine changes on the weekend. follow what gazar said. good luck and let us know how its going

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, I know she definitely had fears about us coming back, but I thought since she has gotten better during the week this would stop. We do leave TV or radio on. I guess I just needed confirmation that we aren't doing anything wrong. We are taking her to the vet this week so we'll see about that and go from there. Thanks again and I'll let you know how we make out

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
well it can take months to undo whats been done. it took sarah probably 4 months to calm down after we got her so just be patient. :) let us know how its going. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
As others have stated, crating is the best option for now. I suggest keeping her off the furniture until things improve. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Do keep us up. We really would like to know how she is doing
and how she comes along with her fears.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Crating is the best option. I honestly do not understand why people are so hesitant to do this. Crates are not viewed as 'cages" or "prisons" by dogs. If they are introduced as a safe place where they can go to escape and sleep undisturbed, then it becomes a den.

Dogs curl up in small balls, and find quiet parts of the house to be in when they are upset or anxious. This space should be the crate... a safe, dark, quiet, comfortable hideaway.

Get a plastic crate, rather than a wire one, or put blankets over it. Make sure it's JUST big enough for the dog to lie down, get up, and turn around. That is the perfect size. Crate training is a process. Get a book, read up on it, and don't cut corners, or it WILL become a cage. If the dog doesn't associate it with you leaving, and you crate her every so often while you are home too, it will be a safe zone.

Good luck! You will have a calmer, less anxious, happy dog once it has a place to call her own.

Also, she needs more structure. A dog with structure and boundaries is a happy/calm dog. Look at the sticky about NILIF training. This is where she has to EARN everything from you. No furniture or bed sleeping until she learns her place. TRUST ME. Dogs need rules and boundaries and exercise. They are far happier when you are calling the shots.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Now i have Samekind of problem after getting a pet from my friend home. He p in my bed while im not around him. If im there then he goes out and p. So now I just trying to tell(training) him to not to do like that, before using crating or something like that.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Krmcclam, how old is the dog? If he is really young, I would not put him in your bed until he is potty trained. He may be missing his other home and so he is doing this because he is stressed. Make sure that you are taking him outside to potty at least every two hours during the day. Let us know how he is doing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure with how old is he, i think he is 6 to 8 month old. Yes, you are correct he may be "stressed" and may miss his old place. My home is somewhat newer for him.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
6 to 8 month old pups may still need to be trained to potty outside. So do not let him on the bed,
take him out every two hours when you are at home and awake. Crate
him if you can when you are not at home and make a pallet by your bed, if you wish,
but put a leash on him and put the handle on your arm. If he pees on his pallet when
sleeping, get him checked out by the vet to make sure he is not having any urinary
issues. Then crate him at night when you are sleeping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After reading many threads and also your advice. I decided to crate him and potty train. I will try my level best on taking him outside for every 2 hours. thanks Gazar

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
im thinking perhaps its stress related and i would not let him on the bed till you get things a bit more situated. a dog that young is probably still in training. i see you have gotten great advice so keep us updated on how he is doing

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sorry it has taken me so long to update...Bella has now been with us for almost 10 months...each month we made progress. first, Bella did have a nasty infection which took 2 rounds of antibiotics to clear up. We started putting puppy pads out in the hopes that she would start using the pads, that is working. We now have puppy pads in our spare bedroom and that is what Bella uses when we are not home or if she can't wake me to pee in the middle of the night. 2 weeks ago we had our first extended time out of the house on a weekend and she didn't go in the house at all. I made such a big fuss, I always take her out to the yard as soon as we get home in the hopes that she'll learn that routine. Bella is really settling in!! Thank you for all the advice and responses. As always routine and patience is the answer.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
So glad you updated. Her bladder is starting to mature, so that should be helpful, also.
Would love to see a pic of her. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts