Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are two YouTube Vids relating to Perceptions on Pitbulls and Race. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me begin by saying this "study" was retarded. For it to be any kind of accurate, they needed to include a lot of things. How come we didnt get to see the white lady and her dog? Did they get the same reaction? Im thinking probably. I personally will walk Lucy and get a lot of mixed reactions. But I do notice that black men always tell me she looks good. Which i think is hilarious because she looks goofy. And the white people in my neighborhood rarely speak to me when I walk her.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
watched the first vid and I have to say I find nothing stereotypical about NOT wanting your child to approach an unfarmiliar dog, any dog, pit bull or otherwise. Parents that let their children run up willy nilly to a strange dog are stupid.

·
Legend
5,197 Posts
Couldn't agree more Bones. Sad thing is when I tell those types of parents to keep their kids on a leash I'm the bad guy with the pitbull. Kinda stupid that my dog is ok for their kids to run up on but when I put 'em in their place then all of a sudden I have one of "those dogs".

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I've never paid much attention to who complements my dog... I just say thanks and adore his beauty lol.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I watched the first one and couldn't help but laugh.
It should have been titled something more along the lines of " Perceptions- on race, breed, age, gender and how you dress"
I also agree with Bones. Why would you let your kid just run up to a strange dog?

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
People give my 120 pound wife all kinds of ugly looks when she walks our AB. She (wife) happens to be white. Our dog has never done a thing in public to cause anyone to be intimidated or scared in any way. Little do they know that it is our 12 pound rat terrier(terror) that they need to be concerned about! Not really, but the little dog is our bigger liability!

·
Super Moderator
16,005 Posts
I did not find this to be a race situation. I really thought that people were
biased against the dog, not the man. I also feel that people find a woman
more approachable than a man. Sometimes men can seem more intimidating
than a woman. I was really glad to see and read all that the dog, Savvy,
had accomplished.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
I date a black guy and we get pretty much the same reactions when out with the dogs. Some people think the dogs look awesome and some people cross the street. Some people want to pet them and some people are scared. I think it's more about the dog and less about the person holding the leash.

One discussion that did come up with us and another biracial couple is the difference in how it would be perceived if the men (black) were walking a leashed Pit Bull that ended up in a fight with an unleashed dog vs. how it would be perceived if the women (white) were in the same situation. The other woman and I feel that we can argue that our dog is leashed and we are following the law and it won't be a big deal. The men, on the other hand, feel that it would turn into a big thing and they would probably lose their dog and end up on the news.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I agree with bones i think it is perfectly normal for any caring parent not to allow there children to approach not just pitbulls but any breed of dog without caution.

However the true dog lovers that own these breeds and do masses of research on the breeds know partly what to expect, what im trying to say is for those who do not own dogs or do not research into any of the breeds, will be influenced heavily by the media as the video stated, its just one of those things that i don't really think can be resolved.

In regards to race this once again is a problem caused by the media, to the media the pitbull comes under the ultimate fighting, ghetto dog. With that being said the finger is then pointed at the people who appear on the news for gang related incidents. Put the 2 together and thats what you get.

Because of the media it is easier for people to look at a black man with a pitbull and think the dog is a killing machine, where as its a lot harder for them to picture the same dog with an old age pensioner and for it to still be a killing machine.

Its all just one big misconception that Dog Lovers and anyone of us in the minority that know anything about these breeds will have a hard time fixing.

In the UK Labradors and Dalmatians bit the most people throughout 2010.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Steph(and well the others too) can you clarify the perception you are thinking of?

I have heard and seen a few different stereotypes if you will involving race and pits,and race and dogs in general and honestly I have talked at length about this with several people,it's interesting to be sure and I think voicing our observations in a respectful way could be really healthy. I sure learned alot from the talks I've had,whether the things they said were true or not it sure leaves a lot to think about.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think the premise of the study ( that they didnt do well at lol) was to show the stigma that the media has put on "DANGEROUS DOGS", is all theese attacks are from gang banger drug dealers. Where i live there is a dangerous dog list pitbulls are #1 and are banned in the town, if u have one u get 30 days notice to vacate the dog then they will confiscate it and put it down. Its a real BS situation my buddies AB was killed cause he had no papers and the animal control guy said he was a pit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Also i would never let my daughters just pet any dog no matter what the breed, but we are all educated dog owners i think the video was the common public perception.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I walk my bullies with my kids and husband as a family and we still get the same reactions from some people. (some good, some bad, some indifferent)

some people don't like dogs (no matter what they look like) and that's their right, just like I don't like birds and would probably freak out if a bird flew at me. Irrational? yes but its my right.

Don't think it has anything to do with race at least in my area.

I notice its the families with small children that are most likely to have bullies, there is a family down the street from us (2 young kids) and they have a graduated pitbull and an AB. There is also another family that has 2 corsos and a bullmastiff, I met a guy the other day walking with his young daughter and they had a beautiful Tosa (or course I probably notice the dogs more then other breeds)....I think its a good thing because they are excellent choices for families.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
I think the premise of the study ( that they didnt do well at lol) was to show the stigma that the media has put on "DANGEROUS DOGS", is all theese attacks are from gang banger drug dealers. Where i live there is a dangerous dog list pitbulls are #1 and are banned in the town, if u have one u get 30 days notice to vacate the dog then they will confiscate it and put it down. Its a real BS situation my buddies AB was killed cause he had no papers and the animal control guy said he was a pit.
Unfortunately that is Ohio law and the AC has the final say on the fate of a dog. You do realize that your dog could very well be considered a "pitbull" right? It all depends on the AC and what kind of mood they are in.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I won't be surprised if that happens to you as well. Hope you have papers.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
We don't even get 30 days here in Ontario...

One more reason I am glad that horse has long hair.

our neighbors adopted a dog from the HS (listed as boxer mastiff mix) well as he matured like all dogs do he looked more and more bully....... A dog got hit by a car and our neighbor called AC to come and take the dog and the officer made a threat that he could take our neighbors dog if he wanted and that he was "lucky" he was going to be nice this time...... its nuts.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts