Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
I date a black guy and we get pretty much the same reactions when out with the dogs. Some people think the dogs look awesome and some people cross the street. Some people want to pet them and some people are scared. I think it's more about the dog and less about the person holding the leash.

One discussion that did come up with us and another biracial couple is the difference in how it would be perceived if the men (black) were walking a leashed Pit Bull that ended up in a fight with an unleashed dog vs. how it would be perceived if the women (white) were in the same situation. The other woman and I feel that we can argue that our dog is leashed and we are following the law and it won't be a big deal. The men, on the other hand, feel that it would turn into a big thing and they would probably lose their dog and end up on the news.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Mercator, are you sure that your perception of what is happening is not being colored by the breed which you own?

This may come off wrong, and I admit it is a gross generalization - however, it seems to me that more blacks are scared of dogs in general than people of other cultures are.

But consider the history that is there. Bloodhounds and other dogs were used to hunt down African Americans during and after slavery. Think about the profiling that is committed by the Police and how often they may threaten folks with their K9s even if it is simply for intimidation and they don't actually release the dogs. Think about the footage you see of Police K9s taking down minorities.

People are more afraid of my Malinois than my bulldogs. I have actually had people put their hands up in the air, stand still, and say "I mean you no harm." He was not even 6 months old the first time this happened.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts