Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are two YouTube Vids relating to Perceptions on Pitbulls and Race. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me begin by saying this "study" was retarded. For it to be any kind of accurate, they needed to include a lot of things. How come we didnt get to see the white lady and her dog? Did they get the same reaction? Im thinking probably. I personally will walk Lucy and get a lot of mixed reactions. But I do notice that black men always tell me she looks good. Which i think is hilarious because she looks goofy. And the white people in my neighborhood rarely speak to me when I walk her.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the premise of the study ( that they didnt do well at lol) was to show the stigma that the media has put on "DANGEROUS DOGS", is all theese attacks are from gang banger drug dealers. Where i live there is a dangerous dog list pitbulls are #1 and are banned in the town, if u have one u get 30 days notice to vacate the dog then they will confiscate it and put it down. Its a real BS situation my buddies AB was killed cause he had no papers and the animal control guy said he was a pit.
I won't be surprised if that happens to you as well. Hope you have papers.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Winnipeg has had a ban on pitbulls and pitbull type breeds for 21yrs now.. and I guess we are lucky cause our AC is pretty slack.. cause I've seen a lot of dogs in our city come to our vet clinic as "boxer" crosses which are CLEARLY pitbull crosses..

I know here they are trying to get the ban lifted.. but it comes down to the government thinking that if it happens the "gangs" of our city will go back to breeding these dogs to use as protectors and so forth..

Its the biggest issue here honestly.. if they weren't so stereotyped that only "gang" like people would have them.. the ban here may honestly be lifted... even one of the city counselors said that on TV.. that people with bad natures.. like gangs.. and drug dealers.. would just end up getting them and more bites would occur.
That's kind of what I was going for with this thread... When you see a ganster type black dude walking down the street with the pitbull... what do you think? If you see a girl like me walking down the street with a pitbull, what do you think? Obviously, some of us more educated people will be looking at the dog and not the person, but some people look at the person.

Kind of off topic, but relating to perception still... Yesterday my old neighbor across the street called me over to give me a box of Milk Bones and a packet of Beggin Strips to give to Murphy for a Christmas present :roll:
It was nice, however I will not be feeding those things to my dogs, lol... Anyways, he asked if I got a new dog. I said yes, we adopted her. He asked what kind and I said pitbull. He looked shocked and didn't say anything for awhile. I said she's really sweet and a good girl. He then said "I don't know about them pitbulls. With all the stuff I see about them on Judge Judy, kinda scary". I've seen a few episodes about pitbull attacks, usually dog on dog, on Judge Judy and have noticed a majority of the owners were black. Does this mean anything?

Like I said, I live in a very segregated city so I see lots of difference between whites and blacks. Its unfortunate, but it is what it is. There is ignorance that occures on both sides. HOWEVER I live near low income housing complexes and do see pitbulls in those houses. I'm not sure one can care properly for a dog when one does not have the means to. I also see groups of black children walking dogs on leashes made of shotty rope. How would young children react to a situation of their dog attacking another dog? Would they have the skills or strength to separate the two. AND in some areas, dog fighting does occur. Street fighting. Not the original sport of dogfighting. Its dirty and its sick. I wonder what the quality of those dogs lives are. Do they get enough human interaction? Or are they locked up 99% of the time?

But dogfighting goes on in lots of places. I'm not saying just black thugs do it. It's just what MY experience has been. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
yeah, white f-ing thugs have pit bulls, too. as do asian f-ing thugs..........

dog fighting is large anywhere people like to bet. even here in the tiny town where i live there is rumor..so far I have no conrete evidence because if I did I would turn the ******* f-ing wanna b thugs in.
gun toting, pit bull yeilding thugs have no reguard for animal life nor for human life.
Its funny you say that. I always wonder if people who can treat animals in such a manner (thugs that dogfight) and also gang members who don't think twice about killing someone, can have any kind of love toward anything? I know some people, like myself, are far too sensitive. However, people of that type seem to have no feelings at all.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I don't usually see a lot of people with a pit bull. I see the majority of people with American Bullies. You see American Bullies everywhere; you see them in rap videos, TV shows, commercials, etc. These are what people think pit bulls are. I see more thugs (of all races) with American Bullies than with pit bulls (APBT). They wouldn't know what a pit bull was if it licked them in the face.

Unfortunately many ACO's and the general public aren't educated enough to know what a pit bull really is. People see a short muzzled, short haired, big headed, and muscular dog and automatically assume that it is a pit bull. I have shocked many people who have come up to Mater to pet him and ask what kind of dog he is... I typically tell them he is a pit bull mix and they always say he is too small because they are so used to the big "scary" so called pit bulls on TV.
This is very true.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts