Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Winnipeg has had a ban on pitbulls and pitbull type breeds for 21yrs now.. and I guess we are lucky cause our AC is pretty slack.. cause I've seen a lot of dogs in our city come to our vet clinic as "boxer" crosses which are CLEARLY pitbull crosses..

I know here they are trying to get the ban lifted.. but it comes down to the government thinking that if it happens the "gangs" of our city will go back to breeding these dogs to use as protectors and so forth..

Its the biggest issue here honestly.. if they weren't so stereotyped that only "gang" like people would have them.. the ban here may honestly be lifted... even one of the city counselors said that on TV.. that people with bad natures.. like gangs.. and drug dealers.. would just end up getting them and more bites would occur.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Winnipeg has had a ban on pitbulls and pitbull type breeds for 21yrs now.. and I guess we are lucky cause our AC is pretty slack.. cause I've seen a lot of dogs in our city come to our vet clinic as "boxer" crosses which are CLEARLY pitbull crosses..

I know here they are trying to get the ban lifted.. but it comes down to the government thinking that if it happens the "gangs" of our city will go back to breeding these dogs to use as protectors and so forth..

Its the biggest issue here honestly.. if they weren't so stereotyped that only "gang" like people would have them.. the ban here may honestly be lifted... even one of the city counselors said that on TV.. that people with bad natures.. like gangs.. and drug dealers.. would just end up getting them and more bites would occur.
That's kind of what I was going for with this thread... When you see a ganster type black dude walking down the street with the pitbull... what do you think? If you see a girl like me walking down the street with a pitbull, what do you think? Obviously, some of us more educated people will be looking at the dog and not the person, but some people look at the person.

Kind of off topic, but relating to perception still... Yesterday my old neighbor across the street called me over to give me a box of Milk Bones and a packet of Beggin Strips to give to Murphy for a Christmas present :roll:
It was nice, however I will not be feeding those things to my dogs, lol... Anyways, he asked if I got a new dog. I said yes, we adopted her. He asked what kind and I said pitbull. He looked shocked and didn't say anything for awhile. I said she's really sweet and a good girl. He then said "I don't know about them pitbulls. With all the stuff I see about them on Judge Judy, kinda scary". I've seen a few episodes about pitbull attacks, usually dog on dog, on Judge Judy and have noticed a majority of the owners were black. Does this mean anything?

Like I said, I live in a very segregated city so I see lots of difference between whites and blacks. Its unfortunate, but it is what it is. There is ignorance that occures on both sides. HOWEVER I live near low income housing complexes and do see pitbulls in those houses. I'm not sure one can care properly for a dog when one does not have the means to. I also see groups of black children walking dogs on leashes made of shotty rope. How would young children react to a situation of their dog attacking another dog? Would they have the skills or strength to separate the two. AND in some areas, dog fighting does occur. Street fighting. Not the original sport of dogfighting. Its dirty and its sick. I wonder what the quality of those dogs lives are. Do they get enough human interaction? Or are they locked up 99% of the time?

But dogfighting goes on in lots of places. I'm not saying just black thugs do it. It's just what MY experience has been. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
yeah, white f-ing thugs have pit bulls, too. as do asian f-ing thugs..........

dog fighting is large anywhere people like to bet. even here in the tiny town where i live there is rumor..so far I have no conrete evidence because if I did I would turn the ******* f-ing wanna b thugs in.
gun toting, pit bull yeilding thugs have no reguard for animal life nor for human life.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
yeah, white f-ing thugs have pit bulls, too. as do asian f-ing thugs..........

dog fighting is large anywhere people like to bet. even here in the tiny town where i live there is rumor..so far I have no conrete evidence because if I did I would turn the ******* f-ing wanna b thugs in.
gun toting, pit bull yeilding thugs have no reguard for animal life nor for human life.
Its funny you say that. I always wonder if people who can treat animals in such a manner (thugs that dogfight) and also gang members who don't think twice about killing someone, can have any kind of love toward anything? I know some people, like myself, are far too sensitive. However, people of that type seem to have no feelings at all.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
I don't usually see a lot of people with a pit bull. I see the majority of people with American Bullies. You see American Bullies everywhere; you see them in rap videos, TV shows, commercials, etc. These are what people think pit bulls are. I see more thugs (of all races) with American Bullies than with pit bulls (APBT). They wouldn't know what a pit bull was if it licked them in the face.

Unfortunately many ACO's and the general public aren't educated enough to know what a pit bull really is. People see a short muzzled, short haired, big headed, and muscular dog and automatically assume that it is a pit bull. I have shocked many people who have come up to Mater to pet him and ask what kind of dog he is... I typically tell them he is a pit bull mix and they always say he is too small because they are so used to the big "scary" so called pit bulls on TV.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I don't usually see a lot of people with a pit bull. I see the majority of people with American Bullies. You see American Bullies everywhere; you see them in rap videos, TV shows, commercials, etc. These are what people think pit bulls are. I see more thugs (of all races) with American Bullies than with pit bulls (APBT). They wouldn't know what a pit bull was if it licked them in the face.

Unfortunately many ACO's and the general public aren't educated enough to know what a pit bull really is. People see a short muzzled, short haired, big headed, and muscular dog and automatically assume that it is a pit bull. I have shocked many people who have come up to Mater to pet him and ask what kind of dog he is... I typically tell them he is a pit bull mix and they always say he is too small because they are so used to the big "scary" so called pit bulls on TV.
This is very true.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
lots of pit bulls around here. I know lots of people personally with them. However, very, very few black people , almost no asians and perhaps as many as more than a few latinos. only the dip shit kids think they are gangster/wannabes. coal miners and cowboys and trustafarians thats what we have around here.

·
Super Moderator
16,009 Posts
We have a LOT of pit bulls here and we are a very multi-cultural town.
I see all sorts of people with pit bulls, all the way from college kids to thug
types.

I, like a lot of others, when I do not know someone will take a situation in
by its appearance. If a droopy-drawed backward base ball cap black, white,
asian is walking down the street with a pit bull - other than the droopy-draws (a
whole nother thread) I do not think anything of it.

HOWEVER - put leathers on that person, dregs in the hair, chains on the clothes,
and a pit bull with spikes and studs YEAH that is going to catch my attention as
just NOT RIGHT. May be perfectly innocent, but it does not look innocent.

If a person is looking "hoody" than I feel it is because they want to put out that
appearance so they have to take responsibility for the perception they are
giving off. But I can tell you this, this is a dog loving town and we mark those
types to watch.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I encounter a strange thing when I walk Bella at a park downtown. The crowd that frequents that park is very racially diverse. I notice that the white kids generally approach Bella and want to pet her, displaying no fear whatsoever. The black kids, for the most part, appear frightened of her and do their best to avoid her.

I'm assuming this is because of their experiences will bully type dogs in their neighborhoods. I will often see black guys with their pits, decked out with scary looking spiked collars and logging chains. I usually give the parents a little nod to let them know that Bella is ok, and have her lay down and rub her tummy. When her big old tongue flops out and she's wagging her tail, they usually get over their fear and come over and pet her.

It's a shame that a kid's perception can get so messed up about a breed so early.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Mercator, are you sure that your perception of what is happening is not being colored by the breed which you own?

This may come off wrong, and I admit it is a gross generalization - however, it seems to me that more blacks are scared of dogs in general than people of other cultures are.

But consider the history that is there. Bloodhounds and other dogs were used to hunt down African Americans during and after slavery. Think about the profiling that is committed by the Police and how often they may threaten folks with their K9s even if it is simply for intimidation and they don't actually release the dogs. Think about the footage you see of Police K9s taking down minorities.

People are more afraid of my Malinois than my bulldogs. I have actually had people put their hands up in the air, stand still, and say "I mean you no harm." He was not even 6 months old the first time this happened.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Mercator, are you sure that your perception of what is happening is not being colored by the breed which you own?

This may come off wrong, and I admit it is a gross generalization - however, it seems to me that more blacks are scared of dogs in general than people of other cultures are.

But consider the history that is there. Bloodhounds and other dogs were used to hunt down African Americans during and after slavery. Think about the profiling that is committed by the Police and how often they may threaten folks with their K9s even if it is simply for intimidation and they don't actually release the dogs. Think about the footage you see of Police K9s taking down minorities.

People are more afraid of my Malinois than my bulldogs. I have actually had people put their hands up in the air, stand still, and say "I mean you no harm." He was not even 6 months old the first time this happened.
agree

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I agree with forever_pit as well. I think a lot of dogs, especially those who are raised in predominantly white areas are standoff-ish towards someone of a different color. I have seen a lot of dogs act different around people with darker skin. My dog is indifferent. The home he came from was "multicultural" ie mom was white, dad was black, kids were mixed. Most of our neighbors are colored and he acts the same around everyone. My dog may not be scary looking, but the only people who seem to show fear around him are mothers with young children who do not have dogs (which is justified, kid comes running at us and mom freaks out, I just have Hudson sit), and our neighbors from India. They will make a 15foot detour from out sidewalk to avoid Hudson. The kids are young and seem unphased but will probably learn that fear. I shouldn't call it a fear though, it is part of the culture to view dogs as dirty and not pets. Once they had a problem in their apartment and the wife came to our door asking for help and Hudson just stayed on the couch, didn't do anything and since then they have cut down the detour to about 6 feet haha.

Back to the "mothers" point though, every kid I see wants to pet Hudson. Most kids ask first, and I tell the parents they are welcomed too, but that he is a strong and excitable puppy. Won't bite but a wiggle with his hips can knock a kid over. Once someone takes a moment to talk to you, I find they are much more relaxed. Again though, my dog looks (and gives off the vibe) of very unthreatening so I guess my situation is different.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
i have had all different races of people cross the street when i walk rufus. (white girl here) and i have had all different races of people come up to pet him .. i think it has to do with how some folks are raised. some folks are raised in a non animal home, while other folks are raised in a home with animals. i have a ton of kids here with no parental supervision where i live and 90% of them no matter what race will come up to us to pet rufus , while the other 10% that wont either never had animals or were taught to not approach strangers or dogs. i have had some parents tell their children to not approach us "thats a mean dog dont go near him" to which i reply, he is not mean, he is a retired therapy dog who worked with children and he is friendly... half the parents i say that too then ask if its really ok and let their kids approach us and the other half dont.

now when i would walk jesse , sonny and rufus ( gsd, rottx, pitx) NO ONE of any race would come near us 99% of the time, pretty much everyone would cross the street and stay far away from us....

i on the otherhand dont care what you look like or how you dress if you are walking a dog of any breed i will ask if i can pet your dog and approach the owner and dog.. especially bully breeds ...

as far as dogs being biased against color, that i have to disagree with to a degree. all my dogs were raised in a pretty much white neighborhood, and all of them except jesse were fine with people of all races, for some reason jesse my gsd just did not like dark skinned people, i dont know why she was the odd ball out of my bunch.

i think its just really really sad that people still discriminate against breed/race .

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.