Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dog is on the rag .. literally she has her pamper on for the last 3 days.. how long will it last it's her 3rd one and the last period went about 2 weeks. when do I need to keep her away from other dogs so she does not get pregnant. is that the week after she stops bleeding or is she at risk to get pregnant while she's bleeding too

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Heat last about 21 days but dogs actually ovulate for only 2-3 days in that period,lol, sorry for the pun

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
No advice for you - the only female in heat I've ever had was spayed 2 days after she started bleeding (THANK DOG!!! I love my vet!) which also happened to be 3 days after we got her from the shelter :x (they told me they "thought" she was spayed when they recieved her from her previous owner - obviously they thought wrong).

I'm sorry I'm not much help! But I really do feel for ya - I hated having a bloody bitch in the house :lol: and it's not something I want to do again....My poor carpet (she started while we were at work - of course) will never be the same... :lol:

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
10 to 14 days after blood appears BUT a dog's sperm can last up to a week if it is young and healthy......In other words your bwitch could have sex a week before she ovulates and still get pregnant unlikely but possible

·
Registered
704 Posts
All dogs' cycles are a little different. All cycles will last about 3 weeks, and on average, the first week they are not receptive..second week they are..third week they are not. Many females can conceieve as early as day 8 of thier cycle and as late as day 16..on average though, it's days 9-13. Regardless, I never recommend allowing them around any males during the entire time. As has been stated, sperm can stay viable in the system for a number of days..not to mention, some females will allow a male to mount and tie even if she is not yet fertile. I have a male that tries to mount females a week before they come in, and up to a week or more after they are out...a persistant male can accomplish things. So...just expect to keep your girl away from any males for her entire cycle if you do not wnat her to get bred.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts