Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...

I'm new to the forum, & i've decided today that i'm going to take the American/British bulldog that my friend has to get rid of due to moving. A bulldog is my dream, but never could afford one. My question ( as i've had alot ) is on pet insurance. Does anybody have it. It seems like a small investment to help cover some of those expensive costs from vets. I've been looking into 2 of them, one that is offered by Petco with which is affiliated with Petcare Insurance, & another one that is provided Petprotect. Let me know if you would what you guys think. Of course, i'll have to take him to the vet for a check first, but after that, I was really thinking about it.

Thanx
Chap

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I wish I had gotten pet insurance for Bella the day we brought her home. In 7 1/2 months we've spent just over $2,000 at the vet on all of her skin conditions and allergies. Because all of that stuff is now pre-existing conditions, none of it will be covered by pet insurance. Pet insurance is definitely worth it if your dog develops hip dysplasia, has allergies, breaks a bone, etc.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for getting back with me, I really appreciate it. Apollo does have an existing condition of a grass allergy, so that wont be covered, but as soon as I get him ( in the next few weeks ), i'll take him to my mom in laws vet for a checkup so I can get started. Thanx again, I really appreciate the input. Found some insurance for 231/year, which in my eyes, isn't that bad.

Thanx
Chap

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I've never had it, but it could be worth it if something big comes up. I am lucky my vet allows me to charge there. When you own horses its great when you can make payments rather then all at once.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I feel it's worth it, I'm glad we got it. You just have to choose the right company. Some companys won't cover bullies and some charge extra. Also, some companies won't cover health conditions that bullies are prone to like hip displaysia. The company we went with charges $10 extra a month but they cover all possible breed health problems.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I just got insurance for Chico. It's called Sheltercare. It's the same insurance that lots of dogs from Petfinder com with. They charge a little extra for owning a bully breed but it covers things like hip dysplasia that lots of companies don't cover. I went with the plan where they cover 70% and I have to come up with 30%. It's a little cheaper that way. I pay $38 a month (it would have been $22 if I owned a diferent breed).
http://www.sheltercare.com/

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
I looked into getting pet insurance when Abby was a puppy. But the pet insurance I wanted(dont remember wat company) but they made you pay the bill and then you would give them the reciept and they would pay you back within three days. Now I emailed them and said what if you don't have the money in the bank to pay the bill and they never responded back. So besides the $30 a month you had to pay you still ended up paying the vet bill and getting the "check" reciept within 3 days.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanx so much for the information. I've been looking at two of them. One is called Petcare ( http://www.petcarepals.com/us/dog/index.asp ) & one is called Petprotect ( http://www.pethealthinsure.com/index.asp ). Kind of leaning toward Petprotect. I dont mind if I have to cough up the money up front, as long as I get it back. Like I was saying, i'm new to bulldog ownership, but this is my dream dog ( as i'm sure it was for everybody ) & I really really want to do this right.

Thanx again, this forum is great.
Chap

·
Registered
48 Posts
Too bad it doesn't work like regular health insurance and the vet office just bills the insurance company. Then you wouldn't have to pay anything upfront except what isn't covered and wait to receive a check.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
ambulldogpup said:
I looked into getting pet insurance when Abby was a puppy. But the pet insurance I wanted(dont remember wat company) but they made you pay the bill and then you would give them the reciept and they would pay you back within three days. Now I emailed them and said what if you don't have the money in the bank to pay the bill and they never responded back. So besides the $30 a month you had to pay you still ended up paying the vet bill and getting the "check" reciept within 3 days.
Yeah that's exactly why I don't have it for Maddi or Chance. If I could afford to cough up 2 grand for some major surgery, I don't think I would need insurance now would I? Even if I knew I was getting reimbursed...I just don't have that kind of cash available on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Petcare is the same company as sheltercare. I think they just call it sheltercare for the dogs that are adopted from shelters. (they get a couple months complimentary ins.) I felt that I would use it for Chico because he has already been to the E.R. once and had numerous office visits for mange and allergies. Now he's limping off and on. I plan to put the bill on a credit card that collects air miles and then get reimbursed back from the ins. company. Sorta like a win win situation. I can afford small stuff, I'm just worried about something major happening. It's probably unnecesary if you have a healthy middle aged dog. I just feel that it is a good idea for my situation based on Chico's track record. I need that peace of mind that if something happens I can afford to get him the care he needs. I have two 15yr. old cocker spaniels right now and some ins. would really come in handy for them as well. Senior dogs are not cheap!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is the first dog i've ever owned on my own. My wife & I split up ( although still great friends & maybe, who knows ) & she took the dogs with her. I just want the best, & dont want to do wrong by this one. I have the money to front, but it's nice to know that i'll get it back. $22 a month isn't bad, & if I can get sirius radio for $150 a year, I can do this. This isn't a show dog by any means, but he's mine all the same. Thanx for all your insight though, I really appreciate it.

Thanx
Chap

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanx for getting back. That was one of the one I was looking at, but Pet Protect seems alot cheaper. Only 22 bucks a month for 3000 per incident up to 10,000 annual, & 100 % reimbursement. We'll see, i'm going to ask the vet when I get his shots & see what he thinks.

Thanx
Chap

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yeah i know what you mean. Our insurance is expensive :cry: but the reason I went with them is because they cover bullies and they WILL pay for hip displaysia or any other breed specific health problems. Most other companies will not :(

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ooh, good point. I think i'll e'mail pet protect today & make sure about that...

Thanx
Chap

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys...

Well Apollo got all his shots, microchip, & meds today. Only $325, which didn't bother me that much, plus he almost ate the vet. My question... I've called all the pet insurance places I could find & only sheltercare ( petcare ) offer hip dysplacia insurance. Is that the only one ?? Let me know if you guys know, cause I cant find anything else.

Thanx
Chap

1 - 20 of 39 Posts