Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined a class to certify my puppies for pet therapy.

They said they are in need of our breed due to the fact that they have such a horrible rep. More certified therapy dogs of "vicious breeds" are needed to change the publics point of view.

We are starting in a few weeks, as they have to be20 weeks old to start.

They absolutly loved Chocy and Kato, and even Daizy. She will be trained as well but differently. She will be used for visiting childern at All Childerns Hospital that have brain injuries and developmental disabilities.

What a good feeling.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Aren't they a little young for the people to say they will accept them? Don't they have to go through some tests to make sure they will be able to handle all the situations at the hospital?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I have done some research on this( awhile back ) and they need a lot of training and during that training these people will be able to tell if they will make it as a therapy dog and few get accepted.My question is how do they know were they are going to place the dogs already with out having had the dog do any training yet? You said about children's hospital,how do they know this dog is going to be good therapy dog or would be good in that area of therapy ,they cant know that until they complete there training and see if the dog would make a good therapy dog and if so then they go by behavior to determine were they will place the dog? Makes no sense.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I said they will be starting CLASSES! I never said they were a shoe in.

They have to complete classes first. They usually dont start the dogs until 6 months of age due to the hyperness and such. But after meeting my puppies, they decided they would start training sooner due to their docile temperments.

Daizy was determined that she'd fit in great at a childrens hospital due to the fact children will relate to her, vice versa because of her disability.

I nevr said they were a definate dog for the job, but were accepted for the classes and hopefully will do great!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Sounds great! Hope they all do well. It would be wonderful if Daisy works out... I agree that the kids may relate to her. Best of luck on that!! :D

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'd love to know where you got the info. I'm interested in joining Harley, but didn't realize they had special classes for it. The only info I got off the web was for the tests. Also, the site said they had to have their CGC first. Is this what you've heard?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alot of my clients volunteer at the local(next town) Human Society. They brought me a flyer that had a schedule of upcoming enrollments for all sorts of things on it. I noticed that there is an actual class calender AND certification for therapy dogs on it and called them. They gave me info, and here is where I stand....ready to try anything to make people aware that pitbulls are not so bad.

Contact your local HS and see if they offer anything of the sort.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
That sounds like a great way to socialize the pups. They will get some great training even if they don't work out for therapy in the end. I completely missed what is wrong with Daizy. I don't want to pry but if You don't mind telling the story.... :oops:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts