Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peter i have ALWAYS liked your posts and you share alot of knowledge i would like to know about your Abs i think thats what you have? I would like to know what lines they r from... I like your training ideas..... The one in your picture looks nice! do you do sport work? pp? both? i like talking about Abs and working...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hi Tia.
I have two.
Male Chucky out of White Lightning Q. He is a tightly bred dog coming down from Blockhead block of JOS. I like this lines. It is EXTREMELY HARD. Very hard to control and train, but courage on man is never in question.

Female ICE out of Mad max and Hardball Petey. Basically, Steve's Hammer stuff on bottom and Margentina Crusher on top. Easy to control. Incredible prey drive. You can definitely see the Banuelos influence and see why this lines would do well in schutzhund work.

All the parents are titled in PSA, Schutzhund or have a WSTII.

I went through so many dogs to where I am now. I am pretty happy with them and we are going for our BST and BST II this summer.

Chucky is a LONG term project. :wink:

We train in french ring, WABA testing (because I have ABs) and we play in PSA (PP sport). I am the primary decoy for our ring club.

I am a utilitarian guy. I like functional dogs. So, for me, although I LOVE the dedication of the sports, I have to admit, I am, mentally, more of a PP guy. Having said that, am I an expert? Not even close. The art of working a bully is so different than the shepard breed.

I am still learning and keeping an open mind about all the lines out there.

All my dogs are home invasion proofed. Because that is their primary job. Secondary job is being a pet.

·
Registered
790 Posts
home invasion proof.....

Three bulls, why do most people who own AB or other mollosers? It is for security, to a degree, companionship, property protection, or sport. For me, it is all of the above.

Home invasion proofing means we do hidden sleeve work. We have mock break ins, simulating as closely as possible, the real scenario. That is proofing. I don't like to dream, " I think my dog will do it. I hope my dog will do it. :? " I know exactly how my boy or girl will react. I would not own a dog that would not protect my mother/girlfriend while they are housitting while I am away on business. THAT IS THEIR JOB. Protection and companionship.

So many people think their mean a## dog will protect their family when a REAL break in happens. I think many are in for a rude awakening. By the way, I am not just saying this. I KNOW THIS.

To be sure, I believe any dog is a great deterent. However did you know that most sexual assaults happen from people the victim actually know? Makes you think what would happen if YOUR dog knows the bad guy, now does it not? NOW, what would your dog do?

I am a HUGE advocate of testing and proofing.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Peter, do you think that most people probably don't know what we know about dogs? Most people I know read dogs all wrong. I mean, they probably wouldn't even try anything if they know there's a posibility of being attacked. At least that's what I always thought. I don't really know what my dogs would do. My dogs are not proven in protection at all. If I had to guess, Sadie would die defending and Jazmine would run away after barking. I never thought I'd want my dogs in a situation like that. You guys probably think I'm a tard, but the last time I thought I heard something in the middle of the night (my husband was at work), I locked the dogs in the bedroom and grabbed a bat to go check the house. I was thinking that I didn't want them to get hurt. To me they are like my children. Probably stupid, but I still did it.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
CARE--im the same way! I think I have to protect my dogs just like my kids...Id be scared someone was breaking in just to steal my dog!! Like you said --might think im stupid but that just the way I am.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Care said:
Peter, do you think that most people probably don't know what we know about dogs? Most people I know read dogs all wrong. I mean, they probably wouldn't even try anything if they know there's a posibility of being attacked. At least that's what I always thought. I don't really know what my dogs would do. My dogs are not proven in protection at all. If I had to guess, Sadie would die defending and Jazmine would run away after barking. I never thought I'd want my dogs in a situation like that. You guys probably think I'm a tard, but the last time I thought I heard something in the middle of the night (my husband was at work), I locked the dogs in the bedroom and grabbed a bat to go check the house. I was thinking that I didn't want them to get hurt. To me they are like my children. Probably stupid, but I still did it.
I know what you mean. The dog I had growing up (had to be put down a few weeks ago :( ) used to bark like crazy when someone would come even close to our property. He even chased a door-to-door salesman down the street because the guy saw him and immediately ran =/ However, I once had to break into the house (I forgot my key because I'm a knob) and he didn't bark AT ALL. He started crying and then puked after 5 min of me trying to get in through the window :roll:

I always think that because Boss never barks at the door, that he would just welcome anyone who wants to come in. But lately, he doesn't immediately run to me when I come in the door anymore, he stands in the living room with his tail straight out and stares until I say "hi." He only stays for a few seconds, but I think he's making sure it's me before he greets me.

PeterC - What do you think? I don't think Boss would try to protect my property, because he's never been trained to do so, but what's your opinion?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I think you have a nice dog. If he becomes a great alarm dog, that is a bonus. In almost all cases, that is all you need. When someonce comes to the door, encourage his alertness. Give him a pat. Good boy! Trust me. It takes very little to make most dogs a GREAT alarm dog, especially dogs that have a bit of defence in them. It is safe and involves no biting or testing.

My girl's maltese is THE BEST! She barks for both my ABs.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thank you, Peter. I think he's a nice boy too :D But, he doesn't ever bark at the door. How could he be a good alarm dog? I guess just seeing that a Pit Bull lives with me would be deterrent enough, right? :D

·
Registered
790 Posts
Well, personally, I like a barking dog. It depends on you.

How old is your dog? Most dogs will naturally bark. Most of the problem comes from NOT being able to shut him up. LOL.

Well, it all depends on what you are willing to accept. YOu can teach him to be more suspicious, but I don't recommend that.

best of luck.

·
Registered
451 Posts
No, I live in an apartment with virtually no sound proofing, so I am thankful that he is quiet. He probably barks about 3 times a day. And I mean like, 1 bark at a time lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts