Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im curious iv read so much about the "bad" and the "good" the media and the fight against it but what im not reading is information on what is accaptable traits to look for in my pit what is the "akc" standard im looking for detailed information preferabbly a picture of what would be the "perfect" pit any info is more than welcome

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Well a true APBT is a medium sized dog, usually around 40-65 pounds full grown. There are many mammoth "pit bulls" out there, but frankly they just have either mastiff someplace way back, or just mutant genes. APBTs should never be trusted around other dogs as dog aggression has been bred into them for many many years (there is always the possibility of having a "cold" dog, but just always be on your toes and ready for dog aggression which may not show up for a long while, but still can show at anytime no matter how much you socialize). But on the same note a love of humans has also been bred into them so they should be expected to be fantastic of people. They are a breed who is very sure of themselves, shouldn't afraid of small things and should recover quickly when it is frightened.

Owning an APBT is a VERY big responsibility because not only are you in charge of the safety of your dog, but you are also contributing to the safety of the breed. One bad bite from an undersocialized pit bull type dog could mean a ban in your town or county, thus forcing other owners to lose their trusted companions.

I don't mean to scare you away from owning an APBT, but it is different from owning most other breeds (many bullies fall into this, though, as we all know) because of the dog aggression and the extra responsibility to the rest of the APBT owning community. Do as much research as you can about owning the breed, the history of the breed, before your pup comes home. But they are a fantastic breed, I work with them weekly, work with a pit bull rescue, and own a pit mix. It's worth the extra effort to be loved by one of these dogs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks so much for the info and quick response iv been planning and waiting for my pit cince i was a child and i have a few weeks before i can bring mina home shes only 6 days old lol im cramming now and hopeing i have a good plan ready let me run my list past you and feed back would be great !!!!

food an watter bowls

puppy food dry and can

collar

tags

harnes

leash

soft bed (even though i know she will sleep with us )

baby gates for the stairs

puppy soap

nail trimmers

coarse hair brush

chew bones

treat ball

tennis ball

roap toy

soft squeek toys

puppy tooth brush

dog tooth paste

car harnes

puppy training pads for those little accidents

treats

shirts

sweaters

coat

create only for when we are gone and cant take her with us

an appointment with the vet

and enroling her in puppy kindergarden when she around 3 to 4 months old

did i miss any thing ?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
food an watter bowls CHECK

puppy food dry and can CHECK

collar CHECK

tags CHECK

harnes Optional, you want control of the dog, control the head, control the dog. Harness for working, not obedience

leash CHECK

soft bed (even though i know she will sleep with us ) She needs her own kennel to sleep in, inviting her to your bed is inviting problems, she is NOT an equal to you, and should have her own space. With dogs, and children, give them an inch, they take a mile.

baby gates for the stairs CHECK

puppy soap CHECK

nail trimmers CHECK

coarse hair brush CHECK, just a short bristle brush, or a rubber grooming brush, not a slicker brush, it will scratch the skin

chew bones CHECK be careful of the size, it needs to be much too big for her so it isnt swallowed whole

You can go to the UKC website and look at the standard. There are quite a few sites that explain in detail, often with photos the standard for the APBT.

Good luck, welcome and cant wait to see pics!

treat ball CHECK Kongs are Kool

tennis ball ONLY IF IT IS THE SUPER BIG 'TENNIS' BALLS. NORMAL BALLS CAN AND HAVE LODGED IN THE BACK OF THE THROAT AND SUFFOCATED THE DOG. I have tennis balls that are 6"

roap toy CHECK

soft squeek toys CHECK

puppy tooth brush CHECK, but don't really need this if you are giving her lot's of big raw bones or chew toys

dog tooth paste CHECK, see above

car harnes CHECK

puppy training pads for those little accidents CHECK

treats CHECK

shirts :lol:

sweaters :lol:

coat :lol: Depends on where you are. If it gets to the 30's, she will be ok going to potty. If it gets much below freezing, then yes she may need something to keep her warm and dry. But it is still questionable.

create only for when we are gone and cant take her with us CHECK, and for any time you cant keep an eye on her, and for sleeping at night

an appointment with the vet CHECK 4 or 5 in the first year

and enroling her in puppy kindergarden when she around 3 to 4 months old CHECK

did i miss any thing ?

·
Registered
719 Posts
LOL...that's a very comprehensive list...

And shopping is LOTS of fun!

I also don't think sleeping nights with the dog is a good idea...but that doesn't stop you from having naps with the dog during the day... :lol: Or cuddling together while watching TV or a movie...

·
Registered
172 Posts
The AKC doesn't accept the APBT so you will not find a standard.

Check out the UKC and ADBA websites for the conformation standard.

Gotta run but will post more later!

PS. For a picture of what an Pit Bull should look like check out Champion Venom in my signature. He could go either UKC or ADBA, in the condition in the picture would be UKC and leaned up and muscled would be his ADBA condition.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow cowbella thanks so much for the run down iv raised nursed even assisted with an operation on smaller breeds but this will be my first larger dog iv had a laso opso that was my last dog spencer he was allergic to every thing stunk like heck but i loved him so much the sweaty shakey little thing a min pin for a brief time a snouzer (dont know if thats spelt rong but i bet it is ) his name was louie a minatiure maltise his name was reggie we lost him a few years ago to congenital heart failure he was almoast 14 so this will be my first girl and my first pit lol so will i need like pantys or something for her i plan on getting her fixed but how long do i wait to do it dose she have to go into heat first?

·
Registered
172 Posts
CowBella said:

tennis ball ONLY IF IT IS THE SUPER BIG 'TENNIS' BALLS. NORMAL BALLS CAN AND HAVE LODGED IN THE BACK OF THE THROAT AND SUFFOCATED THE DOG. I have tennis balls that are 6"
That is an interesting point about tennis balls, I have never had this problem but it seems like it could happen and would be pretty devastating!! :( Guess I wouldn't know because my dogs usually "kill" tennis balls within the 1st 2 minutes of having them.

But I would like to make a safety point about Kongs. These can be very dangerous (if you own a Pit Bull) being that they are not chew proof. Dogs could possibly choke on the chewed up pieces and die or could eat them. If they eat them they MIGHT pass them without harm but could also cause a deadly blockage, this happened to at least one Pit that I know of and he almost died from it as they (the vets) couldn't at first find what the problem was when he was acting sickly and skinny. The surgery to remove the kong parts was very expensive and he also then almost died of infection.

Well any toy you give your Pit Bull you will need to watch them because they can chew up just about anything, concrete and steel included. So to prevent choking or blockage you will want to keep an eye on them. Mine also like to shread the rope toys they love doing that, one they just detroyed was a rope toy with a tennis ball on one part and a tennis ball type material ring they live to rip them apart. They also rip open the stuffed toys and take out all the filling. They don't get these type anyway because the squekers pose a choking hazards. Also I'd be weary of toys that even say Pit Bull Proof or Pit Bull Tested this is how ours ended up.

She was unsupervised with it because it was supposed to be chew proof and even talked to the makers who assured that it was also chew proof for Pit Bulls. It also says "Pit Bull Tested" on the package. She was given it unsupervised to give her something to play with while being home alone, a mistake that could have been deadly, luckily it was not. They will be giving us a refund once we send it back. Good thing it didn't kill our dog, she did this the first couple hours left alone with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow looks like a real problem finding toys maby ill just give her my old tires off the blazer lol jk jk but im currently on total disabilityafter getting in a verry serious car accident and recovering so for the next at least few moths (hopeing i dont need surgery ) i will be home round the clock giving mina my full attention !!!! awww dose that mean im gonna have to do more shopping now ..... :D :wink:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
True_Pits said:
CowBella said:

That is an interesting point about tennis balls, I have never had this problem but it seems like it could happen and would be pretty devastating!! :( Guess I wouldn't know because my dogs usually "kill" tennis balls within the 1st 2 minutes of having them.

But I would like to make a safety point about Kongs. These can be very dangerous (if you own a Pit Bull) being that they are not chew proof. Dogs could possibly choke on the chewed up pieces and die or could eat them. If they eat them they MIGHT pass them without harm but could also cause a deadly blockage, this happened to at least one Pit that I know of and he almost died from it as they (the vets) couldn't at first find what the problem was when he was acting sickly and skinny. The surgery to remove the kong parts was very expensive and he also then almost died of infection.

Well any toy you give your Pit Bull you will need to watch them because they can chew up just about anything, concrete and steel included. So to prevent choking or blockage you will want to keep an eye on them. Mine also like to shread the rope toys they love doing that, one they just detroyed was a rope toy with a tennis ball on one part and a tennis ball type material ring they live to rip them apart. They also rip open the stuffed toys and take out all the filling. They don't get these type anyway because the squekers pose a choking hazards. Also I'd be weary of toys that even say Pit Bull Proof or Pit Bull Tested this is how ours ended up.

She was unsupervised with it because it was supposed to be chew proof and even talked to the makers who assured that it was also chew proof for Pit Bulls. It also says "Pit Bull Tested" on the package. She was given it unsupervised to give her something to play with while being home alone, a mistake that could have been deadly, luckily it was not. They will be giving us a refund once we send it back. Good thing it didn't kill our dog, she did this the first couple hours left alone with it.
Good point True Pits! I've bought the Extra Large Black Kong 2 times already! I only let Legend play with one a couple times a week while I am around and have had to take it alot! And Gemyni also has an Extra large one. She's watched like a hawk too being she's only 13 weeks.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Wow, leeann those pit bulls are gorgeous!
:shock:

I was about to say that the APBT isn't registered AKC, but the american staffordshire is (but they're the show version of the working pit bull and they tend to be a little bulky, I like them though).

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2006/video/breed/index.html

go to terrier group and click on american staffordshire terrier for a video.

·
Super Moderator
15,970 Posts
chew bones
Be careful with the type of chew bones. Rawhide bones become soft
and can imbed in the throat or the intestine. Pig ears, hoofs, etc. split and can puncture
their esophogus or other inside areas. Small bones can be swallowed and get stuck
and block the air passage or intestine. Nylabones or Galeo bones seem to do
well with the apbt. Extra large knuckle bones give them a good chew but as
others have said you do need to watch them. The large hard milk bone type
of bone as a treat once in awhile is good for their teeth and is fun for them.
But too many can replace their desire to eat their nutritious food.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks i was going to just buy one of those huge flavord bones lol but ill look into that

·
Registered
172 Posts
raven9911 said:
wow looks like a real problem finding toys maby ill just give her my old tires off the blazer lol jk jk but im currently on total disabilityafter getting in a verry serious car accident and recovering so for the next at least few moths (hopeing i dont need surgery ) i will be home round the clock giving mina my full attention !!!! awww dose that mean im gonna have to do more shopping now ..... :D :wink:
They do actually love tires...lol And they last awhile. Just as long as they don't have steel in them. That is great that you will be able to be home with her. But too bad about the accident. :( Sorry to hear that. A pup should make nice company though and keep you busy that is for sure. You can get small tires for indoor play, they can be chewed up but ours has yet to be, because they carry it around and chase it when you roll it and run around with it instead of chewing it up.

It has a few bite marks but is in pretty good condition, they love it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DANG i was just kidding lol well why not i might as well i found some small toy tires in the pet store maby ill try that too !!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts