Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure some of you know that I work for a Great Dane rescue here in N.C. and my job there is to help exam and record the dogs behavior and how they react to certain things. Like children, men and women, small dogs, other dogs etc. So this can be a hard task and sometimes you learn things that you really wish you didn't like where they came from, and also seeing the abuse cases we have to deal with.

There are alot of negatives but the positives are always outnumbering the bad. Seeing the joy these dogs bring into peoples lives just makes you so grateful for what you do and it really makes you push yourself harder to help as many as you can no matter what.

I'm also one who does alot of camera work and photographs these dogs, so I wanted to share some recent ones I have taken and basically brag alittle bit about my very extended family. I'll be adding more soon, just wanted to get a few up. Sorry they arent bully's

Sox the day he came to the rescue

Sox fully recovered from mange, and looking beautiful!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Great pics! You have such a big heart to help all these animals in need. Thanks for sharing the pics too, I haven't seen too many Great Danes. The last dog has the longest legs I've ever seen! They're all really beautiful dogs.

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
well good to see you dident take off like you said you were going to cheers ~ :wink:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank's Chico, I really love what I do. I've always wanted to help out animals, and this is the way I can.

The last picture is Gandalf, he stands 34 inches at the shoulder and if you think he's big in that picture...you should see him in person. First day I met him he came running up toward me with this goofy run, and I'm thinking oh my god he's going to run right into me. Luckily he didn't haha.

Here's Moses, this boy is deaf and vision impaired. He's currently in training to learn his hand signals and it's going great so far. He's pictured here with Tyler another rescue.

This is Dixie, an old photo. Dixie is pictured here with my grandmother who passed away last year, Dixie really took to her. Gentle giants...

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
34" that is how tall my mini horse was growing up! Those dogs are amazing. Do they tend to have issues with dog aggression? I think they are so flashy. Ok, I'll stop gushing..... :oops:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This breed usually doesn't have dog aggression, though I have met some that have had horrible aggression toward other dogs. Most of the time that's just a problem cause people never properly socialized that dog as a pup, it's really not in their nature to be aggressive.

I could probaly take 10 dogs and put them in a group, and out of that 10. 9 wouldn't have aggression toward each other, but one might. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's why Sox looked like that, just so everyone knows. Sox took up at a womans house and she called us to come and get him, well we had no luck and we just couldnt get our hands on him and he ended up going under her house.

So we called animal control to help us out, and when they wrapped the hook around his neck (dont know what its called) it made him bleed since he had alot of sores and scabs on him from the mange.

It was quite scary seeing him looking like that, but once we got him out and started checking him we realized what was wrong.

Thank you for the comment Phillz. I still have all the pictures of Sox during his recovery, it's amazing what time and patience can do.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
What beatiful dogs! That's great that you help them out. I really want to do the same at my SPCA or animal rescue league but you have to be at least 16 :roll: But I might foster or adopt another dog in the spring/summer when I have time to care for a puppy.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sucks you gotta be 16 to help out a rescue, these people complain about not having enough help but yet they turn down almost everyone who wants to help. I personally dont see why the age is a big problem, you arent that young and you actually know what is right and what is wrong when it comes to animals and personally, I think that's what matters.

Heres a picture of Diamond the day she came from the pound, poor girl was terrified.

Here are some dogs I've worked with, that have recently passed on.

Miss Kitty crossed the Rainbow Bridge in April, 2005 - Miss Kitty went into cardiac arrest, and the vet couldnt help. We made the decision to have her enthusanized (sp?)

Tyler crossed the Rainbow Bridge September, 2005 - Tyler passed on in his sleep, he was taken in for his neuter and his big heart that was full of so much love just stopped.

·
Registered
448 Posts
They are beautiful! Huge! I was trying to picture Buddy standing next to one. LOL HA he'd look sooo small. :lol:

Great shots BTW. You're good with the camera.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have grown up with danes my whole life. My Dad loves them. He has 2 right now, here's a couple pics. The big brindle with me is Brutus. He's 5 years old and about 190 pounds. The little harlequin was a recue she had severe worms when we got her. She's about 6 years old and about 140 pounds.Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great looking dogs ChetP, we dont usually see many brindle danes around here. I've only seen two my entire time at the rescue and they usually get adopted fast.

Thank you Alf, I love messing with my camera. Seeing Buddy beside a Great Dane would be priceless, I'm sure he's more bada$$ though, we have big babies lol ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts