Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day on her afternoon walk, Janie started freaking out, trying to bite her rear end. She was acting realy skiddish and was completly obsessed with trying to scratch. Took her to the emergency room, as it was Sunday and our regular vet was closed.

By the time we got there, she was PINK! I mean around her eyes, around her mouth, in between her toes, her belly etc.

The Doc said it was some allergic reaction ( bug bite, seasonal allergies etc), and told me to give her 75mg of Benadryl.

Has anyone had an experience like this? 75 mgs every 8 hrs feels like a lot to me!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I give Kate 2 (she is 60 lbs) every 6 hours if her allergies are real bad, then I knock it down to two once a day to just maintain

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have heard that you can give one milligram per pound to you dog. For some reason they can tollerate higher doses than one would expect. We give it to our pup when she gets a bee sting.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh yeah, me too.

right when we brought her home, maybe two days later. we gave her these Science Diet Puppy Treats ( we now know how horrible SD is ..). Apparently puppies can have a difficult time digesting corn. She had the worrrrrrst diarhea.

went to the vet..$150 later. Immodium.

do you guys think I should get her tested for allergies?

·
Registered
724 Posts
I would not test for allergies. I hear its pretty expensive and its still pretty difficult to figure out what they are allergic too.

But I am not even close to an expert. Dion has itchy skin every now and again and I just pop her one benedryl. Seems to work! Guess it also depends on how bad it is!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
if you want, you can give one claratin (not the D kind) once a day as just a overall preventative cause sometimes when it gets toooo bad, benedryl wont kick it out of their system

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think the claritin sounds like a good idea.

the benadryl, just wipes her out completely....sometimes its kind of nice actually!

but i really dont want her to be this tired all the time.

·
Registered
886 Posts
How is Janie doing, post some photo's when you get a change.

My parents Kerry Blue gets a whole Benadryl (the oval, pink ones) every day, and she is less than 25lbs.

I know is stinks paying all that $ for the emergency vet (did you go to the one in Fairfield?) But just think if you did not know you could give her Benadryl and her throat closed or something. Don't second guess yourself, it doesn't help. Just think of it as what you would want her to do for you if you were pink and itchy.

If it is any consolation, Zoe once ate mushrooms in the yard, we paid $60 just to talk to the animal poison line, then paid $500 for her to have the vet feed her charcoal. Still don't know if the darn mushrooms were poision!

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
PM mom to many. She uses Claritin with her puppy, Cinder, and I think she still uses the kids dosage. She's been through this with her vet, so she may know the proper dosage.

With Benadryl it's 1mg per pound. It seems like an awful lot, but their systems must process it differently. If it were Buster, he would be taking enough to knock out my entire family! :lol:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, we took her to the one in Fairfield. Aside from the money, it was a really nice facilty with great vets. I will post some pics. She is doing fine. Just pink from time to time...thanks for all the input!!

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
change her food to no wheat no beef and no corn, those are what most dogs ave allergies to. It might help, plus benadryl will stop making her tired after a while, I still wish it made CC tired :lol:

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Dogs over 50 lbs can take one Claritin pill (each pill is 10 mg). If the dog is under 50 lbs, get the Children's liquid and give 1 teaspoon (that's 5 mg). It can take up to 2 weeks for full effect and Benadryl can be given as needed (just not at the exact same time as the Clairitn).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
she is on canidae now. i was told it was a great food.

it just happened so suddenly! literally it was one second she was fine, and the next second she was a wreck.

thanks again for all the input.

she is 60lbs so i will try the claritan. thanks again!

·
Registered
14,576 Posts
Atticus went through this very problem, and the vet opted to go through process of elimination instead of testing for allergies (he said the allergy testing is very expensive). We pretty much figured out that he has an allergy to wheat, so he's on a prescription Kangaroo and Oat food from the vet. If he flares up, we give him Benadryl and rub him down with Aloe Vera gel.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had to take Hemi to the emergency vet clinic on Sunday night. She had been stung by a bee or something and her face was swollen to about 2x normal size. Paid about $200 for a benydryl shot. Then the doc told me to give her 100mg 3x on Monday. Next time, I'm going straight for the benydryl.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
JaniesDaddy said:
The other day on her afternoon walk, Janie started freaking out, trying to bite her rear end. She was acting realy skiddish and was completly obsessed with trying to scratch. Took her to the emergency room, as it was Sunday and our regular vet was closed.

By the time we got there, she was PINK! I mean around her eyes, around her mouth, in between her toes, her belly etc.

The Doc said it was some allergic reaction ( bug bite, seasonal allergies etc), and told me to give her 75mg of Benadryl.

Has anyone had an experience like this? 75 mgs every 8 hrs feels like a lot to me!
It does sound like an allergic rxn. To what, you may never know. But the SAFE & CORRECT dosage for Diphenhydramine (aka Benadryl) is 1-2 mg per lb of body weight. Depending on what your dog weighs, 75 mg (or 3 tablets) doesn't sound off at all. In fact, if you underdose, you won't achieve the desired affect.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.