Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all....
I recently adopted a pit mix from the local humane society. She was very malnourished and came home with kennel cough. She is doing much better and is a wonderful addition to our family!! She is about 2, but people ask me if she is still a pup!! She is very playful and loves people!
I do have a somewhat silly question....
When I come home, she is so excited that she "grimmaces". Its really comical to see and I don't know why she does it. Its as if she is growling, but she is obviously happy! Just curious....
I'm going to attempt a photo here....

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Oh, she is a sweetie!! I believe the "grimace" you speak of is a "submissive smile". My mother's dog does it as well. We all thought she was growling at us, but no sound comes out. She only does when we first come over to visit.

She looks like a wonderful addition to your family. Kudos for adopting! :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the kind words. Pippi and I have begun doggie school to learn what we need. She learns very quickly, I think I'm the one who needs the teaching!! Reading through this board has been helpful and informative. Its funny, before adopting her, I had it in my mind that I did not want any dog that even remotely looked like a pit bull. I ended up with this cutie pie and have learned so much since.
I love looking through all the beautiful dogs and pups here!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
jaja said:
When I come home, she is so excited that she "grimmaces". Its really comical to see and I don't know why she does it. Its as if she is growling, but she is obviously happy! Just curious....
I'm going to attempt a photo here....
Isis began doing that as a puppy, and everytime she did it, we'd tell her "aww soo pretty, smiling..." "oo smile!" now she knows "smile" as a trick or command. check out some pics of her doing it... if it resembles your pupper's grimmace i wouldn't worry, and no question is silly.

http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=5445

1 - 10 of 10 Posts