Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

my sister's pitbull terrier had 8 puppies... she gives them tons of love, and is currently working with a vet to make sure they have the correct immunizations and healthcare.. but I am not sure if she is feeding for them correctly. They are going on 5 weeks now, and I was wondering if they still should be breastfed? Their teeth are coming in, and yesterday while a pup was breastfeeding, he made the mother bleed a little. Should my sister by replacement pup milk from the store? Or should the pups start eating small amounts of wet food? My sister told me that the vet said that breastmilk was the best food right now for them. Any help will be appreciated!! Plus I have to babysit them tonight! What to do!?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
You do nothing. Let the mother take care of her pups. They should be nursing and slowly be weaned after 6 weeks but the mother dog will do that. In the mean time when they are around 6-7 weeks she should start them with a mush, very wet puppy food or what I did with my boxer awhile ago I used baby cereal until they got the hang of eating then started to add very wet puppy food to the cereal but the vet will help her with that if she has any questions.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Actually, you can start supplemental feeding the puppies a puppy food mush (mind you get a great quality puppy food, not something like puppy chow). Many dams will start to wean the pups at this age if the teeth are bothering her. However, let the pups continue to feed from her as she will put an end to it when she's ready. But you can just take some of the pressure off of her by offering the pups puupy food made into a mush by adding warm water.

Also, the pups should also be wormed at this age (along with the dam). Strongid T is a great wormer & the vet will explain the correct dosage to you (but just so you know, it's 1 cc per 10lbs). The pups should be wormed now (asap) & again at 7 wks & 9 wks. Have the owner take the puppies into the vet at 6 wks (in a box that NEVER touches the floor) to have a fecal check done on them (as there are other parasites these puppies can have besides intestinal worms) & get them their first shots.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Miakoda said:
Actually, you can start supplemental feeding the puppies a puppy food mush (mind you get a great quality puppy food, not something like puppy chow). Many dams will start to wean the pups at this age if the teeth are bothering her. However, let the pups continue to feed from her as she will put an end to it when she's ready. But you can just take some of the pressure off of her by offering the pups puupy food made into a mush by adding warm water.

Also, the pups should also be wormed at this age (along with the dam). Strongid T is a great wormer & the vet will explain the correct dosage to you (but just so you know, it's 1 cc per 10lbs). The pups should be wormed now (asap) & again at 7 wks & 9 wks. Have the owner take the puppies into the vet at 6 wks (in a box that NEVER touches the floor) to have a fecal check done on them (as there are other parasites these puppies can have besides intestinal worms) & get them their first shots.
Don't get this, why give them advise for a wormer and dosage then suggest to go to the vet for a fecal exam , Why not just take all eight into the vet and have the fecal done before wasting money on an expensive wormer when one can be prescribed to kill whatever else might be in the stool.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The post was ment to be sarcastic since they were asking about food and mentioned that they are working with a vet, i am sure their vet gave them the proper information about worming.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Oh I wasn't referring to your post, pitmommy. I just meant in general, one should seek advice from their medical/veterinary professional before taking advice from the internet. You never know who you're taking advice from!

·
Registered
790 Posts
commodore

I think the best course of action is to go to the library and take some books out on the subject BEFORE you breed.

There are hundreds of books on the subject and available in EVERY public library. It is detailed and accurate. It would be a better source than the net.

There are so many circumstances one has to consider. The condition of the dame, size of the litter........etc.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
pitmommy said:
Miakoda said:

Don't get this, why give them advise for a wormer and dosage then suggest to go to the vet for a fecal exam , Why not just take all eight into the vet and have the fecal done before wasting money on an expensive wormer when one can be prescribed to kill whatever else might be in the stool.
LOL. You make me laugh.

Anyways, I don't recommend bringing 4 or 5 wk old pups into the vet's office when they cannot be vaccinated at that time. It's a huge risk. Second, since you know sooo much, you should know that there is no "universal" dewormer that will kill all intestinal worms & parasites. So suggesting an all-in-one dewormer/parasite killer is an uneducated post on your part.

I always suggest a vet visit or at least call first & foremost. But since I answer these phone calls all the time, my advice would be to deworm the pups now, bring them into the vet in a week for a fecal check & first shots.

And btw, you'd be surprised how many puppies can die from intestinal worms while their owner waits to take them into the vet. In fact, the puppies should've been dewormed at 3 wks along with the dam, again at 5 wks, & lastly at 7 wks if need be.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Remember your just the vet Tech and I am the doctor. The poster never asked for your two cents about worming as they said they were working with their vet. The post was about food. Obviously you feel the need to express your wide range of knowledge when its not needed. There are several products safe and effective for puppies to kill several parasites and Strongid is not the only one since you know soooooooooo much, YOu flip me [email protected]@ about my posts, Of couse you suggest going to the vet for everything like all techs and vets, dr and nurses you hate people who do anything outside the system, But like I said they only Asked about feeding. So stick to the post Tech.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Miakoda said:
pitmommy said:
Miakoda said:
Anyways, I don't recommend bringing 4 or 5 wk old pups into the vet's office when they cannot be vaccinated at that time. It's a huge risk.

And btw, you'd be surprised how many puppies can die from intestinal worms while their owner waits to take them into the vet. In fact, the puppies should've been dewormed at 3 wks along with the dam, again at 5 wks, & lastly at 7 wks if need be.
But you did state that dewclaws and tail docking done in three days, right. Yes I do agree with your beginning worming program, but deworming needs to be done up to 12 weeks then once a month after. Just so you know Febendozole is more effective in killing a wider range of parasites and protoza than strongid and its safe for pregnate, lactating bitches and puppies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.