Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

Pitbulls better to have in the house or backyard?

• Better in the backyard

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have my puppy in the backyard as of right now and i noticed about 85% of the pictures people post here, have their pits in the house.

So this got me to thinking is it better for them to be in the house or in the backyard??

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
First of all, Meli is beautiful.

Second of all, I answered in the house because pitties do not like extreme weather. They can't handle extreme heat very well, and they hate the cold. Also, there's always the chance someone could hurt or steal your dog. My dogs do stay outside quite a bit, but only when I'm home. If I have to go anywhere, there are inside.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot ;) She is a beautiful dog hehe.

Yea, I think im going to try and talk everyone in to letting her inside for now on but i'd like to have a little more info first.

I have 4 cats that are always in the house or come and go lol and this is their home and i would like Meli to understand that, I actually got her used to my baby kitten which is about 3months now and she just looks at her and ignores her or just puts her paws on the ground and with her butt in the air starts to bark/cute growl lol dont know how to explain it.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I also have kitties. My dog won't do the basement steps, so I leave that door open a bit (my sister in-law has a kittie door to the basement). I keep their litter box & food down there so they are away from Harley when they choose. I would think if you could put up a kittie door to any room & keep the door closed that could be effective. Walmart sells them for <$20.

Another thing to note, during the research for my essay, I found dogs who were left outside all the time became very territorial of that space. I assume you understand the implications.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Well dogs and cats CAN get along. I have 3 dogs and 5 cats and NO problems. I trained them whenever I bring in a new animal. You can do it. You will see a happier pup being inside and with the family.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I voted for "better in the house" Like Luvabull said they can't handle extreme hot temps and cold temps. Plus it does help prevent your dog being stolen from your yard, or worse.

We keep all of our dogs in the house (5 total) and all have plenty of time to go outside and play during the day and burn off energy.

Luckily your dog is still young so she can be taught to respect your cats.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I voted in the house, too. Pitbulls are so connected to their owners, I think it would break their hearts to be outside all the time. My dogs go wherever the people are. They go outside to play and potty. It's certainly your choice, but mine are inside dogs.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Mine are both inside, and outside. As long as they are provided with adequate shade, and water they are perfectly fine. I do agree about being stolen though, and you must make sure she is properly contained. Either place is fine, as long as your providing her with all that is necessary for her to be comfortable. In extreme heat, cold, or severe weather I'd definitely suggest that you make sure you have a secure place for her to bring her indoors, if you decide to not raise her indoors.

·
Super Moderator
15,961 Posts
I agree with the others. They do seem to be more like us as far as heat and cold
tolerance is concerned. As a matter of fact, we have had several members this
year post that their dogs were having heat stress just from walking or lite outside
exercise. I know Clara will only go out for 15 mins or so and then want back in
panting like crazy. If you keep her inside, just have a crate for her for her safty
and your peace of mind. She needs a secure place when you are not there or when
you feel the need to keep her seperate. BTW, my Clara gets on famously with my
cat, but I do have to calm down her playing as she does get rambunctious with her.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This fucking sucks! I wish i had my own house.

I live with my sister and her husband with his mom "THE DEVIL", A.K.A Mrs. NO HEART.
Will not allow the dog in the house because she will eat everything..... WTF ever.
I should just get a god damn tent and sleep in the backyard with her from now on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts