Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello.
i have a question concerning apbt.......Do all in this breed tend to be aggressive towards all animals.....instinct? just curious.....I had a horrible exp with one.......very scary....and this apbt only had 3 legs....lol....I was walking my rotty(gone now as of dec 06) and heard a pound on a screen door....i looked up and this blur of fur was coming at us not growling not hesitating bit runt in the balls.....i picked runt up(120 lb dog) and was turning in circles kicking this dog...still no sound out of it....he was circling.....i had to put runt down...as soon as i did this dog latched on to my dogs neck the underside.....(that morning i bought runt a new collar...big and thick..) anyway i am screaming and crying....runt was standing still....everytime this dog would go to get a better grip....runt would turn his head and bite....i saw blood and thought this dog was killing my baby.....i freaked out more and got my hands in the pits mouth and it actually came apart....i felt pressure in my hand but didnt realize my finger was about gone......the owner came out....cut my dogs collar off.....i immediately picked up runt and went to my car....when i went to grab my gear shift i seen my finger hanging by what looked like a string.....then i felt it........they(hospital)reattached but i have no real use of it....wont bend....neways....runt didnt have a mark on him the blood was from him biting the other dog and from me..........but still to this day(8yrs ago) i see a pit bull and freeze....shake....my neighbor has a huge pbull....beautiful seems friendly but if i take boomer out and its out......i pick him up and go inside till i see the dog is up......i know im being irrational.......it was just a horrible exp......I had to have my dog runt put down dec..due to age and illness, we bought an olde bull.....i wasnt aware he is part pit....but he is a wonderful dog...........neways....i started babbling....sorry......i just wanted to ask someone exp with the breed.....if it is in how they are raised or just part of thier nature?
thanks

i posted this in a different area earlier.....im about half awake but cant sleep as usual.... :roll:

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Sorry about that !!!!!!!!
What happened to you sounds like an irresponsible owner, it sounds like the dog was running free..as well as a dog that was trained by some scum sucker to be aggressive......Most "Pits" are loving family members that get along great with dogs that they were raised with and properly introduced to..I use the term "Pits" loosely bc it is a a term which can enclude AB, APT,ASBT etc which can all closely resemble each other......All were breed for fighting of some sort either dog, bull etc but today there has been a great deal of work done to move away from aggression and successfully so for the better part...... ..They can all be aggressive to other animals any dog can that does not mean that they are bad pets but the owner has have constant control over them.......Meaning that they are kept on a leash or in their territory aka a fenced backyard and OB trained............ Some will be animal friendly but that is usually with other close family pets.....IMO it is best to keep 2 dom breeds apart if they are not family members ....... Pits are not people aggressive (most of the time but we do have the jerk factor) they are actually very loving toward people and they stolen a lot bc of that fact ........A responsible owner of ANY dog does not let it run free, does not incourage aggression, and works with their dog on at the least on OB
......With all of that being said.....IF YOUR NEIGHBOR'S DOG IS NOT CONTAINED I WOULD DEMAND THAT IT IS DONE AND I MEAN NOW!!!!!!!!!!! The dog maybe a sweetheart but it is totally irresponsble for them to allow it to be free..If you have to get demanding

·
Registered
451 Posts
My family dog was attacked by one of my ex boyfriends pit bulls. I freaked out, which was a big mistake, but I didn't know what to do, I didn't know much of anything about APBTs at the time. The only thing I knew was that his APBTs were the sweetest dogs. My dog wasn't hurt very badly at all, because he was a big big dog. Anyway, it wasn't Panther's (the pit bull) fault, it was my ex's fault and my fault for allowing two male dogs, one being a pit bull, run around and play together.

It was the owner of the pit bull who is at fault for your dog being attacked. Not all APBTs are dog aggressive, but a lot are. Mine is 10 months old, and has not shown any signs of dog-aggression yet. I just hope you understand the difference between human-aggression and dog-aggression. One does not equal the other. I would suggest you do some research on the breed, perhaps it will put your mind at ease. :wink:

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
That is caused by an irresponsible owner! Pit bulls usually have dog aggression, well most, but I would never let mine out without a leash! sorry about what happened. You can't blame the breed for one dogs action! or should I say one owners stupidity!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
IT'S ALL IN HOW THEY'RE RAISED! Yes, it's in their genes to be aggressive, but unless they're TAUGHT to be that way, they won't be. IMO... I'm sorry about your experience, but I agree with the others...it definately sounds like an irresponsible owner!

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Tara<3Boss said:
BanterBull said:
Yep, partially in their nature (animal wise), but mostly learned.

~S
Dog-aggression is learned? :? Who would the dog learn that from?
If you have a dog that hasn't shown any dog-aggressive tendancies, but it is aggressed upon by another dog, and defends itself, it has the potential to acquire that tendancy itself...

Does that make sense? I mean, I know what I'm trying to say makes sense, but I don't know if I made sense in typing it...

·
Registered
92 Posts
apbtgurl26 said:
IT'S ALL IN HOW THEY'RE RAISED! Yes, it's in their genes to be aggressive, but unless they're TAUGHT to be that way, they won't be.
This is simply not true. Most pit bulls WILL at least be dominant and WILL most likely be aggressive towards other dogs whether they are taught to be or not. A pit will not act like a lab just because their owner treats them like one!!!

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
tohall said:
apbtgurl26 said:
IT'S ALL IN HOW THEY'RE RAISED! Yes, it's in their genes to be aggressive, but unless they're TAUGHT to be that way, they won't be.
This is simply not true. Most pit bulls WILL at least be dominant and WILL most likely be aggressive towards other dogs whether they are taught to be or not. A pit will not act like a lab just because their owner treats them like one!!!
People always use the Lab as the example. A lab can be just as dog aggressive as any other dog. It all depends on the specific dog itself. My parents have a big black Lab and when it was less than a year old, it got protective over it's food and ripped in to Mosley. Ever since then, the two of them can't see each other or they both go crazy.

But, other than that, you're basically right. An APBT has a much higher tendancy to be dog aggressive than most other breeds, no matter how it's raised.

·
Registered
143 Posts
tohall said:
apbtgurl26 said:
I'll co-sign that. That's the way APBT's are wired.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I agree with Tohall and Edogg. There is no way anyone can assume that pitbull was trained to be agressive. Being aggressive (or at least dominant) with other dogs is natural for many APBT and other bull breeds. The APBT was bred for years to fight other dogs. Their owners did not TEACH their dogs to be aggressive they wanted them to bring that instinct naturally and they bred them for that. I am sure if any of those old time dog fighters happened across an APBT who was not naturally interested in fighting other dogs it would not have lasted too long on their yards. Alot of people assume their bull breed won't be dog aggressive or even human aggressive because they never trained them to be that way. Well, alot of these same people may end up with a big surprise. You can't change years of selective breeding or in the case of human aggression-poor breeding, all that easily!

·
Registered
790 Posts
my bro's pits

My brother bred pits in Taiwan.
They come out of the womb trying to kill eachother. At 8 weeks you have to separate them or they kill eachother. YES, it is 100% genetic. Same as competition labs go NUTS for birds. They look like beefed up greyhounds, actually.

He had 12 dogs. Now he has two. I guess he has grown up and realized with two kids now, he needs an AB, not game pits.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Personally, I can't agree with any of that, because I've owned 3 apbt's, and not ONE was dog agressive, or human agressive. Yes, I agree that it's in their genes or their nature, but I believe it's all in how you raise them...IMO.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
apbtgurl26 said:
Personally, I can't agree with any of that, because I've owned 3 apbt's, and not ONE was dog agressive, or human agressive. Yes, I agree that it's in their genes or their nature, but I believe it's all in how you raise them...IMO.
It's all in the specific lines you're breeding/raising. His brother in Tiawan was raising straight-up game-bred Pits. I believe in his case, they probably did just want to kill each other. Most, if not all, of the APBT lines here in the U.S. are FAR from old-school game bred fighting lines, so they surely weren't nearly as dog aggressive, and hopefully NONE of ANY line are naturally human-aggressive, unless TAUGHT to be that way.

~S

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
BanterBull said:
apbtgurl26 said:
It's all in the specific lines you're breeding/raising. His brother in Tiawan was raising straight-up game-bred Pits. I believe in his case, they probably did just want to kill each other. Most, if not all, of the APBT lines here in the U.S. are FAR from old-school game bred fighting lines, so they surely weren't nearly as dog aggressive, and hopefully NONE of ANY line are naturally human-aggressive, unless TAUGHT to be that way.

~S
I can agree with you on that, Shawn. My past apbt's were gator/redboy, and my current is jeep/gator. Some people have told me these are "gamebred" lines, but I've yet to see any agressive nature from any of them.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
apbtgurl26 said:
IT'S ALL IN HOW THEY'RE RAISED! Yes, it's in their genes to be aggressive, but unless they're TAUGHT to be that way, they won't be. IMO... I'm sorry about your experience, but I agree with the others...it definately sounds like an irresponsible owner!
It is NOT all in how they are raised. For hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of years, the APBT was bred specifically for it's ability in the pit. Due to this, dog aggression has become more or less a trait of the breed. Unfortunately, this case was another example of an idiot owner that had no business owning a dog much less a "pit bull". But unfortunately, because many people now want to preach that these dogs are NOT dog aggressive by nature (only mean ole humans make them that way), then incidents like this will continue to happen. Why? Because since everyone knows Precious has been raised like a member of the family & seems to like other dogs (through her owners' rose colored glasses) then Precious will be allowed to play off leash in the front yard, roam the street to "do her business" & will be taken to dog parks. Then, when the day comes that Precious decides she doesn't like the other dogs around her & goes after the nearest beagle, Precious' owners will be flabbergasted that their sweet & innocent little pooch would do such a thing & will be in total denial stating over & over again "but she's never shown any type of aggression before". And all of America will be reading about the incident the next morning & thanks to the way Precious was raised & the lack of obedience & education her owners had, then even more cities across America will try to enact BSL.

I am a very firm believer that this breed isn't for everyone. Not because it's a bad breed (it is in fact the most loving & outgoing breed I have every known & owned--& not just to our family, but to the mailman, the UPS guy, & any stranger who is willing to pat the dogs on their heads), but because people just downright refuse to accept the breed's history. It doesn't matter whether or not you agree with dogfighting, but you cannot just up & change the breed's history & deny it all because you want to. In my honest opinion, anyone who tries to deny the APBT's history does NOT truly love the dogs. To truly love something, you have to accept it for what it is, & if you cannot, them find a new breed to impend your sympathy on.

Now don't get me wrong, I am one of the most sympathetic people towards the APBT breed. But not because they were bred for dog fighting, but because thanks to the HSUS they were made to be indestructible monsters which soon attracted the streetthugs, gangstas, drugs dealers, & street fighters. Back yard breeders & puppy peddlers then found their next money-making scheme thanks to the demand of such scum & thus began pumping out horribly bred dogs, many being mixed breeds to begin with. And now we have the rescues who in their efforts to "save them all", they are adopting out "pit bulls" with horrible temperaments & many a dog that has bitten someone in the past versus just euthanizing them & ending not only the dogs' agony, but the breed's as well. And I'm sad that people get these dogs without doing any kind of research into the breed & then put the dog into situations it never should have been in, only to dump the dog at the nearest shelter for not living up to the owner's standards.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
apbtgurl26 said:
I can agree with you on that, Shawn. My past apbt's were gator/redboy, and my current is jeep/gator. Some people have told me these are "gamebred" lines, but I've yet to see any agressive nature from any of them.
With all due respect, Koda is only a couple of months old. You don't know his "true" temperment toward other dogs yet. I'm a firm believer that no amount of socialization will prevent the onset of dog aggression in a dog that has it in his genes to be dog aggressive. Of course, dog aggression can be managed - you can prevent your dog from attacking other dogs - but that internal desire to fight another dog to the death is still there. Most people don't teach their family pet Border Collies to herd or their Labs to retrieve or swim. These traits, like aggressive tendencies toward other dogs, are genetic and don't need to be taught.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
apbtgurl26 said:
With all due respect, Koda is only a couple of months old. You don't know his "true" temperment toward other dogs yet. I'm a firm believer that no amount of socialization will prevent the onset of dog aggression in a dog that has it in his genes to be dog aggressive. Of course, dog aggression can be managed - you can prevent your dog from attacking other dogs - but that internal desire to fight another dog to the death is still there. Most people don't teach their family pet Border Collies to herd or their Labs to retrieve or swim. These traits, like aggressive tendencies toward other dogs, are genetic and don't need to be taught.
I see what you're saying, but Koda is not the only pit I've ever owned either.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts