Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've owned a pitty before, sadly he passed a few years ago. Since then we've acquired two cats and are considering another pitt breed, maybe an amstaff.
my question is, if we get one from a puppy will it be ok with cats?

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Mine was good with my cat. She came into the cat's home as a puppy. My cat has
passed away and I have thought of getting another one, however, Clara does not like
to share her home, her toys, her food, or us at times. So I am waiting. Clara will be
fourteen on July 1st. When something happens to her, then I will think about the cat.

All that being said, as a puppy, she can grow with the cats and they will keep the pup in its place.
But do consider, that if she will not tolerate the cats then you will be left with a difficult choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, we would be going the rescue route anyway, maybe we could foster for a couple weeks first to see how they would tolerate each other? we'd be trying to go as young as we can get one to better the chances of them getting along.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
The cat plays a major role in how things work out. We have a barn cat that adores one of our dogs and despises the other one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, I'm a newbie here. But I want to ask a question related to the dog breed. Is that true a dog breed that has a strong prey drive cannot stay around well with the cats? I mean something like the dog used to hunt or help a farmer to chase the fox or what so ever.

Or it might be a "time will tell" solution, I mean any dog breed need time to adapt well with the cat and in the end get along together. I found this interesting article about worst dog breeds for the cats, I don't know it based on some previous owner experience or it could be true as well.

But I guess in this case, the puppy will blend with the cat since the early phase, so it might be okay since the cat act as an adult version of a dog.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
We have a JRT with an incredible prey drive and she is friendly with our cats. Stray cats are another story.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Yes, I agree with Oznog. If a cat is raised with a high prey drive dog, most likely it will
be fine. However, if they see a cat outside, the prey drive kicks in and off they go. I
know because it happened to one of my dogs and our neighbor's cat. :(

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
My 3 dogs are great with my 4 indoor cats. Outside strays are a whole other issue. My gsd lab mix has a very high prey drive (catches birds mid flight) and he is fine with my cats. I got him as a puppy. My 2 other dogs are adults and i brought cats in 2 years ago. I did slow introductions thru a gate for 2 months though just to be safe. You cant just get a cat and toss it in lol with the dogs

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts