Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I just recently got a bully after years of wanting one. She is a 3 month-old EB/AB mix and very adorable.

My question is, how much playful biting should I allow? How do I stop her from doing it? When she gets excited, which is most of the time, she will start playfully tugging on my pants, shoes, socks, hands....etc. She has a lot of toys and I'll give her one of those in an attempt to get her to chew on those instead. Sometimes she will and sometimes she gets more excited keeps doing the same thing. She gets a lot of attention and exercise and we play fetch all the time. Is the playful biting normal and any recommendations on how to get her to stop when she starts that?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions but that's it for now. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i just got a 6 week old AB and he like to do the same thing
i just give him as athoritive NO when he starts chewing on me or my cloths and then give him a toy to chew on
then praise him when he chews on the toy
he seems to be doing better
but just started this
this seem like im doing right to you more experenced owners?

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
Biscanton said:
i just got a 6 week old AB and he like to do the same thing
i just give him as athoritive NO when he starts chewing on me or my cloths and then give him a toy to chew on
then praise him when he chews on the toy
he seems to be doing better
but just started this
this seem like im doing right to you more experenced owners?
=D>

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Play biting is completely normal, but you have to teach the pup that it's not acceptable. transferring the bite to a toy is one way, or saying "ow" and walking away and ignoring the pup for a few minutes. that way they learn that if they bite, the fun stops. Best to teach them now than when they are 2 years because it's not as cute! good luck!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Faith did this alot when we first got her. And sometimes she will still do it but I read on here to say OW real loud when she does that. She stops and starts licking my hand and then hugs me. It is almost like she knows that it could hurt.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Faith Marie said:
Faith did this alot when we first got her. And sometimes she will still do it but I read on here to say OW real loud when she does that. She stops and starts licking my hand and then hugs me. It is almost like she knows that it could hurt.
My dog will be 3 in april and even if i say "ow" because I stubbed my toe or something, she will come running from wherever she is, wagging her tail and looking all guilty like she used to when she was a pup!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.