Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 month old english bulldog chases, hops around, barks and tries to play with my 16 and 15 year old cranky, female cats. They want nothing to do with her and I don't blame them at that age. What can I do to get her to act normal with them? I strongly discourage the chasing and yell "no" with the hand clap, but she just doesn't seem to get the idea that it's wrong all the time. She's not trying to be vicious just playful, but I don't want to drive the cats nuts. I just want her to get used to them being there without it being a huge deal. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the same problem with our 11wk AB pup and our 8 yr old cat , luckily she spends most of her time outside . When they are in the house together I just hold the pups collar and make him sit and try to redirect him . Usually after a minute or so he gets the message and leaves the cat alone for a bit . On the one occasion he tried " playing " with the cat she nailed him pretty good since she still has her front claws and he has been more wary than before .

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well as I sit here reading this Zeus hopped up and barked at Muffin, my 9 year old cat. She just gives him the evil look with her ice blue eyes. I holler NO at him when he does this only because he is so big if he did accidentally step it her it would squish her. He love to chase my cats though.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Personally, I don't bother to intervene... I mean, I can't be there 24/7.... Harley would never hurt my cats, but they sure give her a time of it :lol: Harley has had her nose bloodied more than once :wink: I provide a space in my house where the cats can go, but Harley cannot. If they don't want to be around her, they still have a place to go.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My 3 yr old AB Bam-Bam used to pester our 20 year old cat (we miss you Gilly) but after Gilligan really let him have it once that was it. He never did it again. I guess it depends on whether or not you dog has a dominant personality. Bam-Bam realized that Gilligan was higher in rank in our pack and was completley cowed after one incident. After that they would snuggle on the couch for naps but they never "played" again.
We do have another cat that Bam-Bam plays hide and seek with all the time, but the desire to play is mutual and the cat decides when they are done.

·
Registered
269 Posts
We have two cats, and now two dogs, and I too posted this question before. In hindsight, what worked with one dog, and is now working with the other, is to let the dog know that the cats belong to you and that they are not to be touched. This was the advice given to me and I continue to use it.

Pick up the cat and pet it in front of the dog. We use the command, "Don't touch" to the dogs when they fixate or go after the cats, so I use this command to the dog while I pet the cat. With Zeus, our A.B., we would also alpha roll him and stick the cat on his stomach when he was calm. Surprisingly, he would stay calm. Also, we would keep him on leash in the house and when he went near the cats, he got a correction and a "Don't touch." He now pays them no attention.

·
Registered
703 Posts
As an owner of an AB (or should I say owned by an AB) and two adult cats and two kittens. I can only agree with BamBams Dad. He will by the teachings of only the cats! I do not believe he will hurt the cats, but the cats will set him in his place some day! Both of my two adult cats wanted nothing to do with Joe for the longest time. Eventually Trixie my female broke and now loves Joe so much that it now drives Joe crazy. Joe loves his cat friends expecially the kittens, he helped bottle raise them. See attached photos. The first photo is of Joe with Bobble at 2 weeks old. The 2nd is him with his daddy, Bobble and B.G. at about 10 weeks old.

"Best of Buds"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replies!

Bella is now just starting to chill out, the oldest cat, Peach, let Bella sniff her and even lick her ear once. I really liked the idea of the "don't touch," and BamBams dad was right, she's not going to hurt them. Slowly but surely, Bella is maturing and going a little less nuts, I am glad to hear it's normal! Thanks for all your help.[/url]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts