Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted about this before... but it's just getting worse.
It's been raining for the past week so now when Patch digs, the whole yard gets muddy, including the back verandah, and we have to quarantine him every time he enters the house because he's just filthy.

My yard looks like a mud wrestling ring.

I am getting so upset by it.

We have tried covering the holes with mesh... doesn't work... he just digs elsewhere.
We then put his droppings in the holes... doesn't work... he just digs elsewhere.
We have given him toys, kongs, etc to pre-occupy him..... doesn't work!
We catch him in the act and punish him and he knows it's wrong, because he hides from us, but he just does it again.
He has totally destroyed the yard... and we are now so fed up! WE NEED A SOLUTION!

I am more convinced now that I have to section him up in one small part of the yard where he can't really run, etc throughout the day, there isn't much sun there, and it's a pretty boring part of the yard... there's only his kennel there...but at least only 20% of my yard will be full of trenches!... instead of 100%!
I really didn't want to do this, because often we are at work for the whole day and we liked the idea he had the full yard to play in... but I think we are left with no choice.

I FEEL SO TORN!

help!



UPDATE:
We paved on the weekend, and left about a quarter of the yard as grass for patch.............. he's loving the paving, and so are we! the yard is finally clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!! we love going outside now! JUST HAD TO SHARE THAT!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
Unfortunately your dog is bored. Bullies need lots of excercise (or at least most do) especially as pups, to keep thier minds at ease and to keep from picking up behaviors such as digging, barking, chewing, etc. I understand you have to work, but I suggest you either look into an after work activity and a big early morning excercise, or look into doggie daycare or a dogwalker, etc.

If you want to save your yard, by all means, fence a section off...you may want to pour concrete around the edges to keep Patch from digging under. Be aware though that being confined to a smaller area may cause barking or some other nuisance behavior due to boredom.

Maybe leave some whole raw beef bones or something similar to help kill some time and give the pup something other than digging to combat the boredom.

As I always say... A good bulldog is a tired bulldog!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Re: PLEASE HELP - I CAN'T STOP THE DIGGING - WHAT TO DO?

Patch said:
I've posted about this before... but it's just getting worse.
It's been raining for the past week so now when Patch digs, the whole yard gets muddy, including the back verandah, and we have to quarantine him every time he enters the house because he's just filthy.

My yard looks like a mud wrestling ring.

I am getting so upset by it.

We have tried covering the holes with mesh... doesn't work... he just digs elsewhere.
We then put his droppings in the holes... doesn't work... he just digs elsewhere.
We have given him toys, kongs, etc to pre-occupy him..... doesn't work!
We catch him in the act and punish him and he knows it's wrong, because he hides from us, but he just does it again.
He has totally destroyed the yard... and we are now so fed up! WE NEED A SOLUTION!

I am more convinced now that I have to section him up in one small part of the yard where he can't really run, etc throughout the day, there isn't much sun there, and it's a pretty boring part of the yard... there's only his kennel there...but at least only 20% of my yard will be full of trenches!... instead of 100%!
I really didn't want to do this, because often we are at work for the whole day and we liked the idea he had the full yard to play in... but I think we are left with no choice.

I FEEL SO TORN!

help!

He's bored. You have a working breed and he needs more stimulation than you're giving him - mental and physical. A yard and a kong is not going to cut it.

BTW he doesn't know he's doing wrong, he's reacting to your emotions. You're punishing a bored nailbiter for biting his nails essentially, without giving him a viable alternative. You're doing the dog an injustice. Now you need to go find some activity like (I have ridgebacks so I'll use their equivalient) lure coursing, agility, rally obedience, pulling, something to keep your dog occupied or else you're just going to have a battle on your hand.

Sorry.
Paula
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,746 Posts
Put his poo everywhere he digs, this helps as well. Lot s of exercise and toys, and yes, sectioning off an area of the yard helps.



But the poo thing helps!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know he's bored... we walk him every day.. and he is with us whenever we are home.
I give him raw meaty bones every day... the thing is... he then DIGS these!!!!!
so it is actually encouraging his digging.

i really don't want to section off the yard... it will probably promote him barking.. and i'd rather an annoyed owner than annoyed neighbours.

i am going to try putting poo in ALL his holes (that will be about a weeks worth....) and i'll see how that goes.

i know he's bored, and it breaks my heart... but we do what we can.
and we do obedience training and puppy pre-school on weekends.

my husband wants to get another dog to keep him company... but we just can't afford that at the moment.
and our yard isn't big enough for two dogs!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Patch said:
I know he's bored... we walk him every day.. and he is with us whenever we are home.
I give him raw meaty bones every day... the thing is... he then DIGS these!!!!!
so it is actually encouraging his digging.

i really don't want to section off the yard... it will probably promote him barking.. and i'd rather an annoyed owner than annoyed neighbours.

i am going to try putting poo in ALL his holes (that will be about a weeks worth....) and i'll see how that goes.

i know he's bored, and it breaks my heart... but we do what we can.
and we do obedience training and puppy pre-school on weekends.

my husband wants to get another dog to keep him company... but we just can't afford that at the moment.
and our yard isn't big enough for two dogs!!![/quote

I wonder; could it be a form of separation anxiety. I had a ridgeback once who literally would eat the house if he was unsupervised. If it is SA then getting mad won't help him one bit unfortunately.

Paula
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,746 Posts
Patch said:
I know he's bored... we walk him every day.. and he is with us whenever we are home.
I give him raw meaty bones every day... the thing is... he then DIGS these!!!!!
so it is actually encouraging his digging.

i really don't want to section off the yard... it will probably promote him barking.. and i'd rather an annoyed owner than annoyed neighbours.

i am going to try putting poo in ALL his holes (that will be about a weeks worth....) and i'll see how that goes.

i know he's bored, and it breaks my heart... but we do what we can.
and we do obedience training and puppy pre-school on weekends.

my husband wants to get another dog to keep him company... but we just can't afford that at the moment.
and our yard isn't big enough for two dogs!!!
3 weeks worth................LOL!Ill ship ya 3 days worth from my house!!!LOL!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,976 Posts
Look at his face, that dog belongs in the movies. His face just cries out
mischief and I do believe that just from looking at him, he is lonely
and wants to play some very hard play. Do you have a friend or neighbor
that has a dog that can come over for a play time? Another member rigged
up a tire and rope for his dog to play with in the back yard and another rigged
up a little agility course. Both of these were great ideas to give the dog an outlet
for play and energy. We have a 20 ft round swimming pool and our dog uses the
the outside of it as a lap course. She just runs 10 to 15 laps around the pool until
she uses up some of her energy and is panting real hard. Good luck.
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mischief!!!

The face cries mischief! That's an understatement! He is the cutest, cheekiest thing I have ever come across!
This tire thing sounds like a good idea..... i want to try it. so what, do we just get a few old tires and place them across the yard, and train him to run in and out of them?

I have taken some of your advice and we are trying to tire Patch out.

We went away for the weekend, and my brother stayed at our place to look after Patch. He did a great job, and walked him and played with him as often as he could. When we got home last night, Patch was SO excited to see us! we really missed him.

So we took him to the park and played ball. Basically, he loves his basketball and jumps on it and hangs off it like he's pretecting it.. it is SO funny. My husband and I just passed it back and forth and he RAN up and down for about 20 mins.

He was SO SO SO tired by the end of it, he couldn't run anymore... so we took him home.
He just crashed in front of the heater on his dog bed (it's winter here in Australia). He wouldn't eat his dinner... he just had some water and lay down! he tried jumping onto the lounge to sleep next to us at one stage, and his legs were so tired he fell over!

Did we over do it?? was he TOO tired???
this morning, when i got up to let him in and feed him he was still tired!

as I left for work, I looked outside and he was chasing and barking at the birds... so i guess he's getting better??

is it normal for him to be THIS tired???
(fingers crossed no more holes being dug today!!!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,279 Posts
All we have to do with Buster is play fetch.He loves going after tennis balls,kong balls, any balls at all and he is great at bringing them back so it is constant throwing the ball him fetching and bringing it back and this goes on for a good half hour till his tongue is dragging then we play tug which is another favorite of his and we do this for a half hour and let me tell you he is knocked out after doing this twice a day.A walk isn't enough to tire them out. Take an hour at night to play fetch or whatever he favors and see what happens.

Getting a second dog wont guarantee the end of this problem or take care of the problem for that matter.You could wind up with two board dogs which would mean double the holes.I read in one of the bully magazines if you cant give your pup/dog at least three hours of play time a day dont bother getting one
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,976 Posts
Did we over do it?? was he TOO tired???
this morning, when i got up to let him in and feed him he was still tired!

We had one member that's dog got so tired from play and exercise, she said he slept the whole next day. They have a great amount of energy but after they spend it it takes awhile for them to rebuild it. Some tires laid out on the ground does sound good. What they had done was suspend the tire from a rope that was hanging over a tree. Much like a swing for a kid. The dog jumps up and down to play with it and to hang onto it. Just be careful that there is not anyway he could get trapped in it or get hung on it. The other was a ramp that had slats on it for the dog to walk up it and then down it. Except the idea is for the dog to run up it and down it. That and a couple of tires ought to keep him occupied.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks

i can't believe what a difference playing fetch with a dog can do!
we walk patch for at least half an hour to an hour a day... and sometimes, we get back and after a sip of water, he is ready to play again! it just doesn't tire him out!
20 mins of fetch, and he will sleep for a day!

is it normal though, for him not to eat when he's tired??
and i thought he had hurt his leg, because he kept falling over like he was drunk or something, and slipping on his back leg, but my husband said it was because he was so freakin tired! he wasn't limping or anything, so i guess it can't be his leg... can it?

gees... at least 3 hours of play a day!? i feel like a terrible mother now... we don't give him anywhere near as much.

We're going to try harder though... i'm going to start waking up half an hour earlier each morning to walk him in the mornings as well as the evenings.

I just hope he stops the digging, because my husband is CONVINCED he's going to concrete the back yard!!!! And get rid of the grass!
there's just dirt EVERYWHERE!
i don't want a concrete yard... so lets just pray Patch stops his digging!

i'm going to get some tyres this week....... build him a little obstacle-course!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,976 Posts
Yea, it is normal for them to not want to eat when they ar tired. You do have to be careful that they do not over do the jumping as it can strain the ligaments and/or tear them. It can also put stress on the hip bones. You might post in the work section and see if they have any advice on "proper jumping". I do know that it is recommended not to do long play/exercise but I do not think 20 minutes would be considered a long time. One thing to remember, he will be into mischief type stuff until he is out of his puppy hood and that will be when he is about two. My Clara is just now getting to where she has stopped a lot of this stuff and she turns two July 1st.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Re: thanks

Patch said:
i can't believe what a difference playing fetch with a dog can do!
we walk patch for at least half an hour to an hour a day... and sometimes, we get back and after a sip of water, he is ready to play again! it just doesn't tire him out!
20 mins of fetch, and he will sleep for a day!

is it normal though, for him not to eat when he's tired??
and i thought he had hurt his leg, because he kept falling over like he was drunk or something, and slipping on his back leg, but my husband said it was because he was so freakin tired! he wasn't limping or anything, so i guess it can't be his leg... can it?

gees... at least 3 hours of play a day!? i feel like a terrible mother now... we don't give him anywhere near as much.

We're going to try harder though... i'm going to start waking up half an hour earlier each morning to walk him in the mornings as well as the evenings.

I just hope he stops the digging, because my husband is CONVINCED he's going to concrete the back yard!!!! And get rid of the grass!
there's just dirt EVERYWHERE!
i don't want a concrete yard... so lets just pray Patch stops his digging!

i'm going to get some tyres this week....... build him a little obstacle-course!


You're not a bad mother. You are asking questions and learning things. I would think a bad mother would persist in a non-constructive course and not ask questions. In rescue I'm always happier to deal with someone willing to learn than someone who knows it all.

Paula
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks

Thanks Paula.

I am definately up for learning new things.

I knew NOTHING About raising a dog when we got Patch... he was an impulse buy and i was so scared I wouldn't be able to give him the attention he needs.

I must say though, at least 75% of my methods have come from this Forum! I have learnt so much from what to feed him, to how to house train him, potty training, and exercise.

it is really great getting so much fabulous feedback... from the other side of the world!
;)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
Maybe try a laser pointer?

All I can say is LASER POINTER! Zoe goes nuts for it! She will chase that thing for hours. Up and down the yard, over and over she never gets bored of it. And the best part is, you can do it from the comfort of your patio chair while you sip a beverage of your choice! Zoe is so tired by the end that she falls over, and sleeps for hours.

Totally agree! A tired dog is a happy dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
one of our AB's was a digger -the other isn't...is it a personality quirk? :D

No matter what we did...Fergie(female) kept digging because she liked to bury things...decorative garden rocks were her favourite -luckily she had her three favourite spots -I kept filling -she kept digging-and so on-lol.

She once started digging her way under the fence(and destroyed the bottom of the chain link fence in that spot)but we caught her before she got all the way thru. We later found a stray cat and litter under my neighbors deck - Fergie heard the meowing before we did!

Our other AB(male) has never been interested in getting his feet dirty by digging! But no tire, Kong,industrial strength toy is safe from him - he rips them apart in a few hours/days. They both had the same amount of walks/exercise/training....

We've never left any of our dogs in the yard while we were away from the house...to me its a disaster waiting to happen.Or maybe we are just overly cautious. :)
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top