Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:? I have a 5 week old pit bull pup. I have a couple of questions, first, she is solid white with 2 little black spots on her ears, i have been told that a white pit will turn on you or my other animals in the house. how true is this? im new to pit bull owning i have 2 small dogs but its totally differant. second she refuses to stay in her crate she cries to the top of her voice no matter how long i leave her in there she cries until i let her out how can i break her from this i have finally given up on the crate idea until i can get some advise as to what i need to do. shes doing really good with her potting though. should i still being giving her mothers replacement milk? along with her dog food she is already eating hard puppy food so idont know if she still needs that milk or not? please help me i need so much advise as i said i have never owned a pit before and i just need some help! thank you so much. I look forward to hearing from everyone.

· Registered
570 Posts
I think that she cries in her crate because she is sooo young. She probably gets lonely and needs the warmth and comfort of a body. If it was an older pup I would say to just leave her in the crate and not pay her any attention, but she is so young I don't think that would help at all. Why do you have her at such a young age? Puppies should be with their mom until 6-12 weeks of age. I don't know what to say about the food thing. She probably does not need milk. Alot of pups are weaned at five weeks and start on solids. Maybe you can try a wet puppy food then gradually work her up to kibble. Their teeth are so small at this age that it is hard for them to chew through dry kibble. Look at how short her teeth are compared to the thickness of the kibble. Five week old pups are just like babies, they need alot of care. Good luck with her and give her some time.

· Registered
1,065 Posts
I read on another post that if you put something for her to cuddle with it may help. Also they said to put a clock that ticks near the crate so she can hear it. It is supposed to help comfort them. You may want to try doing a search on the crate thing, there are a lot of posts about it that may be helpful.

· Super Moderator
14,604 Posts
I agree with maryserratos. Your pup is too young and still wants to be with its mother. I would get her a box with high edges and put a soft blanket in there for her to cuddle up with.
She is lonely and needs mothering - that has to be your job. She is scared and needs to be comforted and again that has to be your job. As far as food is concerned, you can get a dry milk puppy supplement at the pet store. If it were me, I would take a little dry food, a little canned food and the milk supplement. Add the appropriate water mix and serve it to her warm after the dry food has softened. Use the dry food you plan on giving her when she goes off this mixture in about 3 weeks or so. Do not over feed her as she will be uncomfortable and could regurgitate the food into her lungs. Just little bits at a time. At this age, they are eating every hour or two. Take her outside immediately when she finishes. You made need to take a warm wet washcloth with you and swab her anal area to help stimulate the pooping and peeing. This is what "momma dog" does. Good luck and cuddle her a lot.
:D

p.s. I have not heard anything about a white pit being any different from any other color pit. These dogs are usually eager to please, a ton of energy and need good consistant training. Mine is full of love, makes me laugh all the time. I do need to stay on top of her training as she is smart as a whip. These dogs are dog aggressive - that is what you will need to read up on and learn about. Usually when they hit the 7 month age is when they will start trying you the most. The teenage pup years. We have several posts on here concerning this. Do a search on here about it plus there is a stick about it in the training section.

· Registered
329 Posts
First off, you have what kind of dog? An American Pit Bull Terrier, an American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier??? I would suggest for whatever breed it is, you do as much research as you possibly can. Who told you that a white "pit bull" will "turn?" Dogs don't just "turn" on their owners and it doesn't matter what colour the pit bull is. Lastly, yes it is quite possible that the dog will "turn" as you say, on your other dogs. Pit bull breeds are known to be dog-aggressive, and you will have to supervise the dogs together very carefully, especially after the pit bull has reached sexual maturity. It is not guaranteed that the dog will become dog-aggressive, but you should always have that in the back of your mind. Please make sure you research the breed, history and all. Find out as much as you can and I'm sure you'll be fine :D

P.S. Who gave you a 5 week old puppy!? The puppy is way too young to have been given away.

· Registered
2,838 Posts
gazar said:
I agree with maryserratos. Your pup is too young and still wants to be with its mother. I would get her a box with high edges and put a soft blanket in there for her to cuddle up with.
She is lonely and needs mothering - that has to be your job. She is scared and needs to be comforted and again that has to be your job. As far as food is concerned, you can get a dry milk puppy supplement at the pet store. If it were me, I would take a little dry food, a little canned food and the milk supplement. Add the appropriate water mix and serve it to her warm after the dry food has softened. Use the dry food you plan on giving her when she goes off this mixture in about 3 weeks or so. Do not over feed her as she will be uncomfortable and could regurgitate the food into her lungs. Just little bits at a time. At this age, they are eating every hour or two. Take her outside immediately when she finishes. You made need to take a warm wet washcloth with you and swab her anal area to help stimulate the pooping and peeing. This is what "momma dog" does. Good luck and cuddle her a lot.
:D

p.s. I have not heard anything about a white pit being any different from any other color pit. These dogs are usually eager to please, a ton of energy and need good consistant training. Mine is full of love, makes me laugh all the time. I do need to stay on top of her training as she is smart as a whip. These dogs are dog aggressive - that is what you will need to read up on and learn about. Usually when they hit the 7 month age is when they will start trying you the most. The teenage pup years. We have several posts on here concerning this. Do a search on here about it plus there is a stick about it in the training section.

I agree with everything Clara said and deuces mommy.Put a clock near by,the sound of the tick helps sooth them and put in a shirt that has your sent on it this will help as well.At petsmart or petco they have little warmers that you place in there bed to help sooth them as well.It makes it seem like there other siblings are right there by the warmth and what not.You can try a hot water bottle but fill it with WARM water so you dont go overheating the pup.
As for the color of the pup thats all BS .I know that with whit dogs it is possible for them to be deaf but that it.
And like Tara said get on line and do as much research as possible on this breed.It is very important that you educate yourself on the bull breed.Any questions you may have just ask as we dont want you to have the wrong info again.
Best of luck with your new pup.Post some pics when you get a chance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.