Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 1yr Jake Russell (GIZMO) and an 7mth old Staffie (SAPPHIRE). I really need help Sapphire eats her own Poo, Ive been told its a behaviour problem but Im at the end of my tether!!!!! I have tried to not give her attention of any kind when she does it as this could be her way of getting attention from me. She has had this weird need for her own toilet since we got her, the vets have checked her eating and is not lacking in an vitiamins. As soon as she has pooed we pick it up and clean the area, but in the night she has done 2 or more but only one is left !!! Please help as I really dont want to get rid of her but I have three children whom Im too scared to let them touch her incase she has any poo in her mouth. It doesnt have to be hers, when we go for walks it like a take away shop she just munchies any she can find?? Help carolex :cry:

·
Registered
720 Posts
This has nothing to do with lack of nutrition. Dogs are scavengers,and this is a scavenger behavior. Keep the dog's yard clean by disposing of feces promptly. If cleaning the outdoor area is not feasible, then keep the dog on a leash or use a muzzle when outside. An e collar would be a good one for this...when your dog tries to eat some shock her. Dont light her up like a christmas tree but just give her a half second zap. I trained my dog not to eat anything unless it was in his bowl.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dog poo

Hi Thanks for posting a reply, my dog has access to the backyard all day, she comes in and goes out to toilet. We clean up straight away my children can smell it a mile away lol. The problem is worst of a night as she is lock in the kitchen and in the morning she has done 2-3 wee and 2+ poos but has eaten maybe 1 or all of them. I thought she would be clean by now our other dog was by 6mths. if I can stop the toileting of a night them I can deal with the eating during the day. cxx

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
To stop her from eating her own poo, sprinkle meat tenderizer on her food. They eat the tenderizer (which will not harm them) and when they poo it makes it smell bad to them and they will not eat it. I had to do this to my own dog and it worked very well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts