Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance and I just recently rescued a one yer old American Bulldog/Pit mix. She went to the vet on Saturday for a check up. She was given lymes vac, bortadella vac, and cortisol (spelling?) for her skin allergies. We are changing her diet to Nutro. We gave her a bath on Sunday and lastnight we applied Advantix. Around dinner time today, we noticed that she started developing big welts on her back, up to her neck. Pretty much the spots we applied the Advantix. She does occasionally bite at them, as it is irritating, but hardly at all. I know this sounds like the culprit but we can't get to the vet until next week. Any insight would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I would say that it is from the advantix. It is hard to tell with allergies. There could be a number of things. Food, vaccines, grass, the shampoo. I would keep and eye on her.

·
Super Moderator
15,970 Posts
If she is having an allergy you could give her a couple of Benedryl
but I would also let the vet know.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
It's known as hives & it's an allergic reaction to something. Now all you have to do is figure out what that "something" is. Won't that be fun? :lol:

In the meantime, Diphenhydramine (aka Benadryl) is great in these situations. The dosage is 1-2mg per lb of body weight. For example, a 50lb dog will take 2 25mg tablets & can take up to 4 25mg tablets (it's recommended that the dosage doesn't exceed 4-5 tablets per time given) in severe cases. To achieve maximum affect, repeat the dosage in 4 hours after initial dose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. We gave her the benedryl today and she doesn't scratch. I guess our next step is to see what her allergies are triggered from. I have read other threads on the various types of ways to find out. Other than that, she's one heck of a great dog. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts