Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I come in desperation.. Wish I found this site sooner.

I have a 4 year old pitbull. Over only the past few months, he has developed bumps and rashes on his back and underside, as well as ear infections.. I have brought him to the vet numerous times. They keep selling me meds. None that have done anything, except for the last prescription which cleared it up. It was a two week prescription which ran out 4 days ago. And now they are back. Already...

The vet said he thinks they are fall allergies...?

I have fed him Iams for most of his life, changed it up for a little while and started giving him Purima One. After a few months is when i started seeing the bumps. So I figured maybe it was the food and put him back on Iams, but it seems to make no difference.

The vet bills are stacking up and I dont know what to do..He is very uncomfortable..

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
How long has he been back on Iams? It might take a few months for that to clear up after switching back. You could also try switching to raw diet, or something less allergenic. In the meantime, use Benadryl for itching. I wish I could help more! I hope your boy feels better soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hes back on Iams about a month now. I thought about a raw diet, but he eats so damn much it would cost a fortune..But I suppose it would be cheaper than vet bills..

I dont know much about raw diets, what kind of meat? Makes me a bit nervous..

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
bathe him a couple times a week with oatmeal shampoo and then follow with a conditioner, something that is hypo-allergenic.
Dr. can also prescribe corticosteroids (but not good long term) or
just give him benadryl. Also try giving him fatty acid pills.

This will give you more detail:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1554&articleid=503

Good luck, bullies and allergies go hand in hand unfortunatly. :(

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Try getting him onto a better food. Bullies tend to have alot of food related allergies and both IAMS and Purina are full of unhealthy fillers. Put him on a good grain free food and see if that helps. It may take 3-4 weeks to see a difference. My American Bulldog has grain allergies and he would be a wreck if he were eating those foods. Check out the sticky on foods and you will see lots of really great kibble. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I know this is a different species all together but a friend of mine had a cat with similair symptoms. What you could do and it is do a raw diet for a period of time. Start adding the ingredients that are in the food slowly. Start with a simple meat and wheat mixture then slowly add the ingredients then once you reach what is cuasing the reaction remove that from the food and find a brand of food that does not have that ingredient. I know that it takes time and it is a total pain in the rear but it worked for her cat maybe it will work for you.Sorry your baby is sick :cry:

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have an allergic retriever...manifests in his skin, ears, nails...

When I switched him over to Solid Gold, and then California Naturals Lamb and Rice...plus an essential oil supplement...it cleared up a good 80% of his problems...

It's worth a try...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok guys thanks for all your input. Im going to head down to the store tomorrow and see if they have any of those high scoreing foods on that list. Ill try that, then ill try raw.

Im guessing that grain is a big culpret w/ allergies huh?

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
miikeremains said:
Ok guys thanks for all your input. Im going to head down to the store tomorrow and see if they have any of those high scoreing foods on that list. Ill try that, then ill try raw.

Im guessing that grain is a big culpret w/ allergies huh?
Yes, definitely!

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Low grade foods are a major culprit but I would not totally rule out what your
vet said about Fall allergies. Some dogs can get skin allergies from the enviroment,
pollen, etc. We have a dog that does have allergies to the dirt outside. So do keep him
shampooed to keep this stuff off his skin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i went to the pet shop and they had Nature Veriety Raw Instinct (grain free), going to give this a try. Ill let yas know what happens. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, not getting any better. Here is a picture of his back.. bumps

Really need some suggestions here. All the vets around here are not doing anything except taking my money..

Mike

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
try giving him benadryll those look like what CC gets. She is on meds for an ear infection and a staff infection at the moment, she just started getting red under her arms agian :roll: so I think she is going to the vets agian tomarrow to get stariods agian. I think she's going to be them most of her life. I hate that idia, but I don't see any way around it, She's so ichy all the time. I feel so bad for her.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hes been on benedryl for a while now. did i pick a good food? Natures Variety Raw Instinct... It was one of the highest rated on that thread...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
almost 2 months now, still not cured. The vet keeps putting him on predazon? and Baydel? (hard to read the doctors handwriting..) The bumps go away only until the end of the medication. Then they come back..

Its always on his back. .

The benedryl doesnt do much at all. I have changed his food twice. I tried Natures Veriety Raw Instinct, and now the vet has him on Royal Canin Venacin and Potato.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
ugh, everyone gave good advice, that sucks that it's not cleared up yet!!! I have a very allergic pitbull as well, I have tried him on many food and the only one that finally worked (thank god) is called Fromm - Salmon and wild rice. It is $70 for a 30lb bag though but that's the only stuff I found actually worked for him. He used to practically live in Benedryl!!

Good luck...it sucks that you and him are going thru this.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
You should go to a dermatologist and get some allergy testing done. I have my dog on prednazone (sp) right now too, he's been so hungry on it! :shock: I'm gonna get the testing done too because I just can't stand all the itching anymore. If you are creative and shop sales, you can feed raw for about the same price as a high quality kibble. I'm not saying you should switch, I just wanted to say that it's really not much more. I was feeding Natural Instinct before I switched to raw, I think the quality is great. It's expensive though!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Firstly, while Nature's Variety is an excellent food, it is possible that he may be allergic to something in its formula. He could also have been allergic to the beef, poultry, lamb or one of the many things that are included in the other formulas of foods you have tried him on. Allergies to specific protein sources are not all that uncommon (especially beef) - and Raw Instinct has tons of chicken and some turkey in it. I would suggest that you try one called Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance, specifically either the Duck and Potato or Salmon and Sweet Potato hypoallergenic formulas. If you can find Raw Instinct, I'm sure you can find the DVP - and if I recall correctly, it should be less expensive.

This is what you want:

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/SPFish.html

or

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/PandD.html

If one doesn't work, try the other as they are made with different ingredients to address dogs with allergies to different things. I would say that if it IS a food allergy, and one of these two formulas works for him, his hives should clear up within 4-7 days, possibly sooner. For the record, I wouldn't feed RAW if you paid me. Others vehemently disagree.

Additionally, are you giving him ANY other food or treats? Snacks? People food? Do you use any powders, detergents, fabric softeners, etc. or anything on your carpet or in his bed or anywhere else he lays? Bathing him with anything other than hypoallergenic doggy shampoo? I think your best bet, if changing foods and going over everything you can think of in the house doesn't yield any results, would be to have a dermatologist check him out like Chico.Heidi suggested.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Chico.Heidi said:
You should go to a dermatologist and get some allergy testing done. I have my dog on prednazone (sp) right now too, he's been so hungry on it! :shock: I'm gonna get the testing done too because I just can't stand all the itching anymore. If you are creative and shop sales, you can feed raw for about the same price as a high quality kibble. I'm not saying you should switch, I just wanted to say that it's really not much more. I was feeding Natural Instinct before I switched to raw, I think the quality is great. It's expensive though!

I agree, going to get an allergy test done is probably a good idea at this point because you have tried medication and different foods. It should narrow it down, so your boy can get to feeling better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts