Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What am I doing wrong. I take the dog out regularly like I should. She will not poop outside. I can be out there for an hour and she wont poop. As soon as I bring her in.........Plop. She has gone once or twice outside but most of the time she waits until she comes back in and goes. This is one thing I dont have the patience for........relieving yourself on my carpet.

Im thinking I need to have my yard redone in wall to wall carpet.

And what is to stop them from biting. I know she is teething and she has plenty of chewy things. But she is constantly biting feet and pulling on someones clothes. I have squirted her with water, tried NO and even swatted her. Any advise.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
When Haus would poo in the house, I would pick it up and take it outside to the spot I wanted him to poo in. I would tell him NO when he went inside, but when we went outside I would point and say go potty. Took him a few weeks, but he eventually got it.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
From what I have read is you are supposed to take them outside every half hour to every hour and place them in the same spot every time or next to that spot until they understand this is were they go.They also say to leave a little poo in that spot so that when you take the dog out to that spot they smell that they have gone there before.I myself have never tried this method but this what I had read some were.
From my own experience when I had two dogs one which was a puppy who would have accidents on the floor is that the smell was there so he would keep going in that spot.I had went out and bought some type of rug cleaner made for pet accidents that took the odor out of the rug and it worked wonders.Wish I could remember the name of it but I am sure you can find something at the store.
Good luck!!!

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Lisa said:
Sounds like you need a crate.
I agree. Having a crate DEFINATELY helped with Haus' potty training.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a crate and stick her in it when ever she is bad. She continues to do it. I stick her in there to sleep, I stick her in there when she poops. I stick her in there when she bites. I am at a loss other than taking a dump myself in the spot I want her to go in the yard.

I know, I need more patience but picking up the poo is taking the patience out of me. Im really starting to think this is not for me and its only been 2 weeks. There has got to be a book or something to help me with training. Im really not ready to order the dean rinker tapes or what ever his name is.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
TashiasDad said:
I have a crate and stick her in it when ever she is bad.
Crates shouldn't be used as punishment. Maybe as a "time out" if she's being a total spaz, but you don't want her associating her crate with bad things (i.e. punishment.)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am lost. What are you suppose to associate bad things with.....treats. You cant smack them, you cant put them in the cage. What am I suppose to do. Thank you for your patience. I am glad someone has some.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
If you are using a crate as a punishment you are wasting your time. Dogs do not posses that type of intellect to know why you are putting them in a crate. Puppies will be puppies and if you give a puppy too much freedom you are bound to have accidents in the house. If you give a puppy too much freedom they are bound to destroy things and get on your nerves. Use the crate regualarily but not as a form of punishment. As your dog gets older you won't have to rely on the crate as much. It's not cruel to use a crate and your life will be much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Well, at her age, she can associate bad things with your ignoring her. Puppies want nothing more than for you to shower them with attention. If she's doing normal puppy things (nipping at your hands, for example), stop ALL play time and ignore her. The thing is...your puppy doesn't know any better yet, so it's unfair to punish her for things she doesn't understand she's doing wrong. You wouldn't smack a child for pooping in its diaper, woud you? Just have patience with her. :)

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Stick with a firm no inside and TONS of praise outside.... I know this is being redudant but it willllll work. but patience is a virtue and you do need it in this situation! When you bring her back inside... put her in her crate right away so she will not go potty inside the house. If she goes potty in her crate she has too much room in there and you can buy dividers so make the space just big enough for her to lie down in. When you don't want her in her crate but afraid she will go potty inside the house. Put a leash on her and attach it to your belt loop. This way she will be near you and you can keep an eye on her. The min you see her about to go, grab her up and take her outside. Go to the same spot and say go potty. Stay there until she goes. If she doesnt go, go back inside. If she tries to go the min you go back inside, take her out immediately. This will take a few weeks, thats for sure, but it will pay off for the rest of her life

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
HausMommy said:
When Haus would poo in the house, I would pick it up and take it outside to the spot I wanted him to poo in.
Interesting! I wonder if dogs make that association. I've always read that dogs don't make the association between the act of deficating (or urinating) and the physical fecal matter (or urine.) The act and the product of the act aren't linked in their minds. No idea if it's true or not, but it's something interesting to think about!

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Magnum was the same way at first - only pooing inside - what I did that ended up working well - was finding a treat she REALLY REALLY loves - it ended up being hotdogs all chopped up - and then carrying them in my jacket pocket when otuside with her and then giving her a treat when she pottied outside - and a couple treats if she pooped outside - eventually i cut down on the treats and gave her LOTS of verbal praise and head scratches, etc- and it only took about a week of doing that and then BAM no more accidents!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have read about Haus's mommy's method. Sept.. they had you are suposed to praise the poo when you take it outside & fuss at it inside :shock: ... My hub and I still joke about that one. I have also read that dogs are not house broken reilably till they are 6 months old and older.

Good luck with your house training.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
I forgot to mention(I think) how big of a deal we made whenever we took him outside and he pottied. If we caught him pooing, we would pick him up right in the middle of it, and take him outside. He learned pretty quickly.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
HausMommy said:
I forgot to mention(I think) how big of a deal we made whenever we took him outside and he pottied.
Aside from using a crate to control accidents, this is definitely the most important thing in housebreaking. Praise your puppy like she's pooping gold nuggets! :D

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Aside from using a crate to control accidents, this is definitely the most important thing in housebreaking. Praise your puppy like she's pooping gold nuggets
Oh definately use praise! A regular feeding schedule will help to regulate her poo schedule. Haus' schedule is as follows:
7am Wake up, go out to potty.
7:30-8:00 Eat and go out to potty.
8-12 Crate time
12-1 Go out to potty. Short play time.
1-5 Crate time
5-6 Go outside to potty, play time.
6:30 Eat
7-8 Relax time.
8 Walk
9-10 More play time
10 bedtime

Now this varies from day to day. It's just a rough estimate of what his schedule has been like since he was 3 months old.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Bella is a strange dog. On the nights when she sleeps in her crate, she won't go outside and potty right when I let her out. She snuggles up on the couch until I'm done getting ready for work. Sometimes she won't even go out before I go to work. (I'm glad Brent has days off during the week so he can accomodate her strange potty habits!) On the nights she sleeps in my bed, she's up at 6am begging to be let out. :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I read ina book and it worked on champ that when they bite and nip to let them to an extent. When they bite to hard the yelp and walk away from her. she will learn that if she gets to ruff she will loose her playmate. Now that Champ is over a year and has a hell of a lot more bite I'm glad i did it. When were wrestling and playing he will barely bite down. Also when I tell him to be nice he stops instantly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts