Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend up in the moutains the black flies were horrible!! If you haven't encountered them, lucky you! They are very tiny and can get under your clothes very easily and bite. And their bites are worse then mosquitoes usually. They can swell up and are very itchy.

They got Kate bad. I felt horrible! I gave her some benedryl but I don't think that helped. I can only imagine how her back looked under her fur! Luckily they have gone away by today, but I just felt so bad

These were all over her belly:

My question is.... I think we are going back up this weekend... is it okay to spray something like deep woods off on her belly to keep them away?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea exactly what they look like, just a little bit bigger. If I didn't know any better I would have thought they were gnats! and they fly circles around your head.... very annoying. Luckily as the summer goes on the die down a lot

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think the deep woods off may sting on the area that has already been bitten, and it's not good if she licks it. I'd use something made for children or you can get a lotion from the vet. I use the lotion from the vet - it says it will last 3 days but I reapply every other day. Nasty nasty little creatures-I hate black flies!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
i hate this time of year. we have mosquitoes, yellow flies, no-see-ums...just about every biting bug is out in swarms.
we treat our dogs with K-9 Advantix and it keeps the mosquitos away. but i dont think it works on other flying bugs.
my friend has horses and she told me what she uses and it really works on keeping the bugs away and not biting her horses. it also can be used on dogs too. i'll have to ask her again what it was. we used it on our dogs last summer.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Maybe you could try Skin so Soft by Avon on her (sorry it souldn't be in time for the wwekend). It's supposed to be really gentle, and has oils, to keep her coat nice & shiny :D

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Aww...poor Katers. Those black flies are nasty. I got bit by them while camping when I was a kid and the bites swelled to the size of baseballs, no exaggeration. I have hear Avon skin so soft works. I have some but never tried it for that purpose. Let me know....you can use it if you want!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx for all the tips guys!!

L&L.... I'm going to the vet today to get a flea and tick protector and I'll ask them about that lotion...

Karen... if the lotion is too expensive I'll be stopping by your house to pick up the Avon stuff!! If the avon works, do you have a avon lady I could get it through?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Avon Bug Guard Plus is wha tI spray on my kids. It is safe, smells pretty good, and keeps the bugs away better than anything wlse I've tried. And it also has SPF 15 so it protects against sunburn too.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The Avon Skin So Soft works good to a certain degree, but if you want a better repellent, use fly spray for horses. There are numerous kinds on the market. I personally think Permethrin ll worked the absolute best..it's super concentrated so a mere capful in a spray bottle would repel all bugs for 2 days. Some other good ones are Bronco and Absorbine. They are safe for dogs (in fact, most labels say they are for dogs and horses) Your cost on any of them will be under $20.00.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Kate said:
Thanx for all the tips guys!!

L&L.... I'm going to the vet today to get a flea and tick protector and I'll ask them about that lotion...

Karen... if the lotion is too expensive I'll be stopping by your house to pick up the Avon stuff!! If the avon works, do you have a avon lady I could get it through?
I don't right now....but I'm sure I could find one if you need one

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Carrie said:
The Avon Skin So Soft works good to a certain degree, but if you want a better repellent, use fly spray for horses. There are numerous kinds on the market. I personally think Permethrin ll worked the absolute best..it's super concentrated so a mere capful in a spray bottle would repel all bugs for 2 days. Some other good ones are Bronco and Absorbine. They are safe for dogs (in fact, most labels say they are for dogs and horses) Your cost on any of them will be under $20.00.
i was going to say the same thing.... Fly Spray for Horses.... works great!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts