Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just when you think all is well, something else has to go to shit!

Miss Daizy, has made so much progress, you would be amazd. She is doing so well in fact that she has gained about 15 lbs in a month, and has even grown all her nails back on all 4 feet. I truely beleive that thi s move has saved her life.

So, the other day she developed this cyst loking thing on her right elbow. I take her to the vet, most noted and recommended vet in town.
To my surprise, he is about 80 yrs old, and dressed in overalls and a John Deere hat. Not at all anything wrong w/ that, just not what I pictured. His tables piled so high with meds, books, med journals, clean, but very cluttered and messy. He didnt even stand while we were there the entire visit, but sat in a Lazy Boy w/ wheels. Just an old hill-jack hill-billy, that has been the locals vet for 60 years!
Anyway, he shows me he has the same thing on his elbow, Daizy must have banged it and it is a build up of fluids. He gave me a med to put on the outside of it, hopefully it will absorb and dry up the fluid. He says he has had his draied and its a bad spot for a needle, that'd be last resort.
He also was awed by her condition. Asked me to let him look at her, and did so for about 20 minutes. Didnt touch, just observed. And I'll be damned if he didnt pull a medical book from the shelf, open it, underline a paragraph and hand it to me. Daizy has Chorea(sp?) After thousands at the nuerlolgist, and vet after vet, this dude pinpoints it in 20 minutes. After reading the paragraph, I almost fainted. All these newly graduated Auburn vets of science, and here is a back woods old school cow vet, that diagnoses her in 20 minutes.

Needless to say, her elbow is not getting beter, she will need it drained, but the only way to rid of it is to cast it and that is impossible due to her disability.

Anyone ever have a problem no vet can seem to sole, cll Dr Killian in Fort Payne Alabama and he may just have the answers!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Sorry to hear that Daizy isn't doing well - Elbows suck.

Isn't it funny how things work sometimes? Who ever would have guessed that that old crazy back woods vet would be able to correctly diagnoise her when all of those other vets who paid thousands of dollars for their degrees couldnt! Does it help you knowing exactly what is wrong with her? I mean is there any treatment options that you havent tried that may help her now that you know what her affliction is?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Sorry about Daizy's elbow!

I have an old school vet too! I have been taking my 2 there since I got Legend. Doesnt give unnessecary meds, etc or doesnt charge me an arm and leg!...I'm wondering what treatment/rehad. remedies/options he would suggest for Daizy's condition.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Chorea sancti viti (Latin for "St. Vitus' dance") is an abnormal voluntary movement disorder, one of a group of neurological disorders called dyskinesias.

These disorders are caused by overactivity of the neurotransmitter dopamine in the areas of the brain that control movement. Chorea is characterized by brief, irregular contractions that are not repetitive or rhythmic, but appear to flow from one muscle to the next. Chorea often occurs with athetosis, which adds twisting and writhing movements. Chorea is a primary feature of Huntington's disease, a progressive, hereditary movement disorder that appears in adults, but it may also occur in a variety of other conditions. Sydenham's chorea occurs in a small percentage (20 percent) of children and adolescents as a complication of rheumatic fever. Chorea can also be induced by drugs (levodopa, anti-convulsants, and anti-psychotics) metabolic and endocrine disorders and vascular incidents.

There is no standard course of treatment for chorea. Treatment depends on the type of chorea and the associated disease. Present treatment for the fatal Huntington's disease is with dopaminergic antagonists, although treatment is largely supportive. Treatment for Syndenham's chorea usually involves antibiotic drugs to treat the infection, followed by drug therapy to prevent recurrence. Adjusting medication dosages can treat drug-induced chorea. Metabolic and endocrine-related choreas are treated according to the cause(s) of symptoms.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorea_(disease)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although I am sure there are not more then one "kind" of Chorea, in the veternarians "bible" the Chorea that describes Daizy, was Distemper induced, or similar. It came from a virus that she caught, which in turn entered the CNS and cellberum at an infant stage, whether it was actually Distemper, or not, if not, it/she reacted the exact way she would have if it was Distemper.

There is no cure, however, he and the nuerologist both said that exercise and Mother Nature and GOD, will all determine her fate, and the chances of her iving a long healthy life are great!

He does say however, if it would have happened at a later stage, she may have been saved. He says before the vaccinations were avaiable (ya, he is old) he saw this alot, but not so much since.

When she was 1 day old, she went in for her first check up w/ her litter. She didnt go back until time for her shots. However, her trembling (The cns shorting out) started at 4 weeks old. The age wghen they start toddling.

I remember people here telling me (No names, but ones that cursed me for the breeding ) that she had "bad genes" and was "skiddish" and going to be a fear biter and such. I remember some of you actually making me feel horrible for what happened and I took the blame accepting Daizy was a "bad pitbull" assuming Id keep her because one day she'd kill someone.

Then it became apparent she had a nuerological problem, I didnt feel any better.

But maybe if some weren't so quick to judge, and werent such internet bullies, I may have recognized sooner, I dont know.

Should have would have whatever, doesnt matter now, it is too late.

I dont come on much anymore, and I spend all day with my puppies, we train, exercise, you name it, and at least I have them. They are good dogs too. I couldn't be any prouder. I pity Daizy, but thank GOD that I have her.

Truth of the matter, you cant determine "bad genes" and such if you do not know the history, background, etc of any dog, so guys, dont be so quick to judge next time.

Everywhere you look here there is a pitbull "kennel". Dogs chained up outside in the rain, cold, heat, ignored, barking. It is sad. I have been approached numerous time by people that see my dogs in my yard at playtime. I had Dixie and Daizy fixed. But you know what???After talking, listening, etc, I would have rather had my Dixie bred to a dog and produced familiar good sound dogs than to let these people breed what they are.

ALL my dogs sit in front of the heater together, cleaning each others slobber, playing, rough housing, etc. NOBODY has EVER even SLIGHTLY started a fight. They are almost 9 months old, Dixies 2 and Sass is 14. These idiots talk about their dogs killing each other, and breeding every 6 months, and cropping their pups ears by themselves at birth AND at 8 months old, I mean WTF???

THAT is a BYB folks, and it is sad.
Anyway,
Daizy has a bum elbow, but its not slowing her down. She is great. She even tries to climb stairs. We are great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts